FR - MontBell Down Hugger #3 Sleeping Bag - Gail

  • woodswoman
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 25, 2014
      Coy,
      Here is my FR for the MontBell Sleeping Bag..it has been great so far. Thanks for the edits. Gail

      HTML:

      http://tinyurl.com/l6p58y8

      Field
      Report:
      July 25, 2014

      USA Locations and Conditions

      During the field test period I have used the MontBell Down Hugger 800 #
      3 during three backpacking trips for a total of twelve nights.
      Locations of
      all activities were in the state of Michigan and ranged from lakeshore
      to boreal forest.
      Elevation ranged from above 600 ft (183 m) to almost 2000 ft
      (612 m).

      Location of Trip
      #1: Pictured Rocks National
      Lakeshore (May 23-26)
      Type of Trip: Trail
      Distance: 42 mi (68 km)
      Length of Trip: 4 days, 3 nights
      Pack
      Weight: 26 lb
      (11.8 kg)
      Sky and Air
      Conditions: Cloudy, sun
      Precipitation: None
      Temperature
      Range: 41 F to 85 F
      (5 F to 29 F)

      Location of Trip
      #2: Isle Royale National
      Park (June 13-21)
      Type of Trip: Trail
      Distance: 64 mi (103 km)
      Length of Trip: 8 days, 8 nights
      Pack Weight: 30 lb (13.6 kg)
      Sky and Air
      Conditions: Cloudy, rain, some sun
      Precipitation: 0.65 in (1.65 cm) rain
      Temperature
      Range: 44 F to 80 F
      (7 C to 27 C) with mostly 50 to 60 F (10 to 16 C) weather during the
      daytime hours

      Location of Trip
      #3: Grand Island National
      Recreation Area (July 23-24)
      Type of Trip: Trail
      Distance: 22.5 mi (36 km)
      Length of Trip: 2 days, 1 night
      Pack
      Weight: 21 lb(9.53 kg)
      Sky and Air
      Conditions: Sunny, windy
      Precipitation:None
      Temperature
      Range: 48 F to 63 F ( 9 C to
      17 C)

      Trip Talk

      The MontBell Down Hugger 800
      # 3 Sleeping Bag has been taken on a variety of trips through the field
      test
      period. Although temperature daytime highs were all over the place,
      most
      nights were consistently low. That said, I was very comfortable all
      nights. During the first trip at Pictured Rocks, the three different
      campsites were heavily wooded and protected against the winds from Lake
      Superior. I used a tarptent with the REI Flash Pad for ground
      insulation. Even though the temps at night were around the 40 F
      (4 C) mark, I only zipped the bag up without tightening the hood
      closure (had on synthetic hat). I was perfectly warm even though I am a
      cold sleeper. I also wore two thin top layers (wool) in the bag and
      wool leggings.

      My second trip was to Isle Royale National Park for eight nights. The
      actual temps at Isle Royale vary considerably due to location on the
      island. The island is surrounded by Lake Superior which is normally
      cold any given time. This year it was especially so, since the ice
      didn't fully melt until early June. That said the water temp was
      reportedly 38 F (3 C) at the time of the trip. This combined with
      windy conditions meant that the wind chill is considerably lower. Even
      though most nights were in the low to mid 40's (4 C to 7 C), it
      really felt colder with the wind. All of my camp sites were very close
      to the lake as I chose no interior camps during this journey.

      Some of
      my nights on the island were in three-sided shelters (fourth side is
      screen).
      Shelters are usually colder to sleep in due to more exposure to winds
      as well as being elevated off the ground. I used my REI Flash Pad again
      for insulation. Many nights I fully enclosed the hood around my face
      and a few nights I put on my MontBell lightly insulated down pants for
      more warmth on my legs. That said I was happy that the bag can
      accommodate extra layers if needed. The elasticized stitching allowed
      me
      to comfortably move without restriction. My other nights on the island
      were in a tarptent so without the wind chill I chose not to wear the
      hood of the sleeping bag.

      My third trip was to a nearby island in Lake Superior. Conditions were
      still cool with the overnight low of 48 F (9 C). I used the sleeping
      bag as a quilt most of the night. By early morning I decided to zip it
      around me to take the chill off (the zipper works very smoothly which I
      really appreciate when I am only half awake). I wore only capilene
      tights, socks and a light wool top in the Down Hugger during the night.

      During all trips the sleeping bag was carried in the stuff sack
      provided.
      The sleeping bag stores quite nicely in my backpack without taking up
      much room. I used my Granite Gear Crown V. C. Backpack on all the trips
      during this field test period.

      So far I have been highly satisfied with the warmth and comfort of the
      sleeping bag for all conditions encountered. I usually am hesitant to
      use a bag only rated at 30 F (-1 C) for two reasons, one being
      the temps can go below freezing in the summer months here and the
      second one being that I sleep cold. All of my
      nights so far have been only up to 10-12 degrees above that even though
      the
      trips were taken in late spring and summer. I am super pleased with the
      warmth-to-weight ratio of the Down Hugger 800 # 3.

      Care and Durability

      So far,
      the sleeping bag has held up well. It is stored in the cotton storage
      bag after a sufficient airing out after each trip.

      Pros So Far

          * Comfortable Super
      Spiral Stretch System

          * Warm for weight

          * Zipper works great

          * Packs small

      Cons
      So Far

          * None so far

      Tester Remarks

      Thanks to MontBell and BackpackGearTest for this opportunity to test the Down Hugger 800 # 3 Sleeping Bag. This
      concludes my
      Field Report. The Long Term Report will be appended to this report in
      approximately two months. Please check back then for more information.

      Top of page
    • starnescr
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 27, 2014
        Hi Gail, thanks for the email alerting me this was posted. As always, you find time for lots of good testing!  PS: I've always wantet do visit Isle Royale National Park and your report only reinforced that...I'm jealous!  Comment and edit posted below.

        The MontBell Down Hugger 800
        # 3 Sleeping Bag has been taken on a variety of trips through the field
        test
        period.

        Comment:  I would say throughout

        Although temperature daytime highs were all over the place,
        most
        nights were consistently low.

        Edit:  Needs reworded.  could just drop temperature and leave as is.  or something like  Although daytime high temperatures were all over the place, most nights were consistently low.

        That's all I see, see you for the LTR.

        Coy Boy
      • woodswoman
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 31, 2014
          Coy,
          Thanks for the quick edit. I am currently OOP with Grandma Camp but it didn't take much to fix and upload.
          As far as Isle Royale, you have to go! It is the least visited national park but the most re-visited..that tells you something. I have been there upwards of 20 times so if you ever need help with a plan, let me know.

          ***Gail***