IR: Nite Ize INOVA STS headlamp - Jamie D

  • chcoa
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 30 10:00 PM

      Not sure if I can post the HTML version in the test folder yet but I wanted to get my IR in on time.  I'll try to figure out the html thing next and if it's working I'll post a link to my test page.

      Jamie D

      INOVA STS Headlamp

      By

      Nite Ize Innovation
      (Picture)

      Reviewed by Jamie DeBenedetto

      June 30th, 2014

      Report Contents

      INITIAL REPORT

      June 30th, 2014

      LONG TERM REPORT

      Check back in Oct. 2014

      Reviewer’s Information

      Collective Use and Field Conditions

      Product Information & Description

      Long Term Conclusions

      Arrival Condition & First Impressions

      Final Thoughts

      --------------------- Initial Report -----------------------

      --------------------- June 30th, 2014 ----------------------

      Reviewer's Information

      Jamie J. DeBenedetto
      Female, 41 years old
      Height: 5'11" (180 cm)
      Weight: 170 lb (73 kg)

      Head Circumference: 22 in (56 cm)
      Email: JamieD1005-at-gmail-dot-com
      Location: Phoenix, Arizona - The Grand Canyon State

      Background/Experience

      I spent many hours of my youth fishing, rafting, creeking, and day-hiking in the wild places of Arizona. I caught the backpacking bug in high school.  Presently I work as an exPAWdition leader so I’m in the field, usually with a pack of dogs, at least sixteen times a month.  Primarily I’m a day-hiker with the occasional family camping trip mixed in throughout the year.

      I prefer hammocks over ground sleeping and I gravitate toward multifunctional gear that enhances my comfort level with minimal fuss and weight. My total pack weight is typically less than 25 lbs (11 kg).

      Product Information

      Manufacturer URL

      www.niteize.com

      Year of Manufacture

      Presumed 2014

      Made in

      China

      MSRP

      $34.99 USA

      Color Options

      Blue, Orange, Charcoal

      Battery Requirements

      3 AAA  - Alkaline; Included

      Tools Needed

      None

      Warranty

      Limited Lifetime USA; 10 yrs Australia and New Zealand

      (Listed Specifications - Taken from the packaging and website)

      Weight w/batteries

      3.4 oz / 96 g

      Bulb Type

      1 White; 2 Red LEDs

      Modes

      Both White and Red have 5 options: High, Med, Variable Dim, Strobe and Lockout

      Red Lamp Output

      High – 8 lumens; Med – 2 lumens; Dim – 0.2 lumens

      White Lamp Output

      High - 142 lumens; Med - 40 lumens; Dim - 3 lumens

      Distance

      Up to 84 m / 275.5 ft

      Red Burn Times

      High – 36 hrs; Med – 317 hrs; Dim – 602 hours

      White Burn Times

      High – 4 hrs 40 minutes; Med – 26 hrs 40 minutes; Dim – 255 hrs

      Extras

      Water and Impact Resistant to 1 m / 3.28 ft

      (Observations as Received – Measurements taken with a digital office scale)

      Weight (taken with a digital office scale)

      Total w/ batteries: 3.4 oz / 96 g

      Lamp Dimensions

      Length: 2.5 in / 6.5 cm; Width: 1.5 in / 4 cm

      Headband Dimensions

      Length: 18 up to 29 in / 46 to 73.5 cm; Width: 1 in / 2.5 cm

      Product Description

      The Nite Ize Inova STS is a battery operated LED headlamp with Swipe-to-Shine™ technology.  This means no buttons, instead the user need only swipe a finger across the top of the lamp to active either the white or red LED lights.  The user can run through high, medium, variable dim and strobe modes on both colors by swiping more than once.  It is also possible to lock the touch pad so the light won’t accidentally activate.  The polycarbonate body is impact resistant and waterproof to 1 m (3.28 ft).  It’s important to note, the instruction sheet clearly states that the STS interface and the users swiping finger both have to be dry in order for the unit to respond.  The headlamp attaches to an adjustable elastic headband via a bracket already attached to the strap.  This bracket allows the lamp to be angled downward up to 50 degrees.  The battery compartment can be accessed while the lamp is attached to the headband.  The lamp uses three AAA batteries, which were included.

      Arrival Condition and Informational Material

      The Inova STS arrived in undamaged condition.  As far as I can tell everything on the unit is working perfectly fine, despite my best efforts. While pulling the lamp out of the packaging I dropped it on my title floor.  I was seated so it was less than a 1 m (3.28 ft) drop.  Since then, everything appears to be working normally so I’m assuming no harm was done.

      The packaging offers detailed information about the different LED modes, light output, run time, waterproofness, impact resistance, and maximum expected distance.  The included instruction sheet offers warranty and operation information and explains how to attach the light to the strap bracket, and how to install/replace the batteries in English, French, Spanish, Italian, German, Dutch, Russian, and Swedish.  Within the operation and battery sections there are also several helpful diagrams.  These are on the English side of the page but look to be simple enough that non English speakers could still find value in them.

      Expectations and First Impressions

      Well, my kids were already blown away by the STS technology.  Anything touch pad-like is awesome in their world.  I on the other hand have my reservations.  I’ve already had some difficulty getting the swipe sensor to acknowledge my touch and that was just while sitting in my office, what will happen when I’m in the field in uncontrolled conditions?  I’m also worried I won’t remember how to unlock the light since I plan to store it in my pack locked, this could be a big deal when I need it.

      On the upside, the light is incredibly bright especially on the high setting.  One hundred and forty two lumens is, I’m sure, overkill for most things for which I will need a lamp.  Assuming that’s correct I will be using the Inova STS mostly in a lower setting and that will give me many hours of light.  I’m also very happy about the drop resistance because obviously I’ve needed that safety feature already!

      As a hands-free device I expect it to sit on my head comfortably without sliding down as I walk or bend down.  I expect operation to be simple.  Ideally it would be as intuitive as possible so that even if I were under stress or injured I could operate the light without any difficulty.   I expect to easily be able to change out the batteries in the dark and without tools.  And lastly, I expect the light to work well enough for me to hike safely, get things from my pack, deal with any emergencies, read maps, negotiate a camp area and alert others to my location.

      I’m very much looking forward to testing the Nite Ize Inova STS.  I hope it fulfills all my expectations.  Either way, you’ll know about it if you check back in approximately four months and read my Long Term Report.

      -          Jamie J. DeBenedetto 2014

    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 15, 2014
        Here's the link to the HTML version in the test folder.

        IR - Nite Ize Inova STS headlamp - Jamie D - Backpackgeartest.org

      • sportjamos
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 16, 2014
          Hi Jamie,

          I've had a quick read through your report and can't find any obvious edits apart from the use of the word waterproofness which I picked up on another report.

          Happy for it to stay, if that's a USA thing.

          Thanks!

          Jamie L