IR - MK - Equatorial Pants - Derek Hansen

  • Derek Hansen
    Message 1 of 3 , May 29, 2014
      Gail,

      It looks like you drew this series -- here is my initial report for your review. Thanks in advance for the edits.

      > http://bit.ly/1rj3q0V

      Best,

      ~derek

      # # #

      Mountain Khakis -- Equatorial Pants

      Test Series by Derek Hansen

      Initial Report: 28 May 2014
      Field Report:
      Long-Term Report:
      TESTER INFORMATION

      pix-me
      Name Derek Hansen
      Age 37
      Gender Male
      Height 5' 10" (1.78 m)
      Weight 170 lb (77 kg)
      Email Address pix-obfuscated
      City, State, Country Flagstaff, Arizona, USA
      BACKPACKING BACKGROUND

      I am a lightweight backpacker with a typical overnight pack weight of 15 lb (7 kg) and a multi-day weight of 20 lb (9 kg), each of which includes food and water. I prefer backpacking with a hammock as part of my sleep system.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      MANUFACTURER Mountain Khakis
      YEAR OF MANUFACTURE 2014, made in China
      MANUFACTURER'S WEBSITE mountainkhakis.com
      MSRP US$84.95
      LISTED FEATURES
      100% nylon
      Super high-density weave
      Durable water repellant
      UVA/UVB resistant 50+
      Quick-drying
      Lightweight
      6 pockets with mesh bags, including 2 zip security pockets
      Adjustable snap cuffs
      Articulated knees
      Mid-rise, relaxed fit
      Diamond-shaped action gusset
      Relaxed fit
      MANUFACTURER RECOMMENDATIONS
      None

      MEASUREMENTS
      Specifications WHAT THEY SAY WHAT I SAY
      Weight Not listed 8.4 oz (238 g) for Men's 34/32
      COLORS Willow, Stone, Retro Khaki
      ACCESSORIES None

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

      The Mountain Khaki Men's Equatorial Pant has a relaxed fit with articulated knees, mid-rise, with adjustable snap cuffs and a zipper and button attachment. The fabric is a lightweight 3.7 oz (105 g) "super high density weave" nylon that has been treated with a durable water repellant (DWR) and has UVA and UVB 50+ sun protection.

      There are a total of six mesh-lined pockets. Two of the pockets have zippers. One of the zipper pockets is in the front and shares the same space as one of the front pockets and has a vertical zipper. The other "security pocket" with a zipper is on the right, rear.

      pix-khaki-plastic-snaps
      The plastic snaps on the cuffs allow the pants to be closed in around the ankle.

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      pix-khaki-nylon-mesh-inner
      Trying It On - The material is soft and very light. In fact, these are the lightest hiking pants I've ever tried and I am already impressed. They pack down small and I'm already "wowed" by the feel--both in fabric texture (smooth) and weight. I want another few pairs for travel already!

      Fit - The waist is a little snug even though I picked a size that was a little loose fitting on other pants I own. Everywhere else, the fit is great. The pants have a nice relaxed flow.

      pix-khaki-zipper-pockets
      Pockets - The front pockets are deep enough to fit my whole hand. The left rear pocket has a hook-and-loop fastener to keep it closed. The front right zippered pocket shares the same space as the front right pocket, which I'll have to see how it works/feels in the future. In my initial testing, I placed my slim wallet in the front zipper (secure) pocket, but it bulges out into the front pocket, making for and odd sensory reaction when I place my hand in the pocket (I feel it, but can't access it). I'll have to play around with what objects work well in that space.

      pix-khaki-tag
      Appearance - I generally like the look of the pants, but the real compliment for me is what my wife thinks, and she loves how I look in them, so I'm sold.

      INITIAL SUMMARY

      PRO--Very lightweight. Packs down really small. Nice feel.

      CON--The waist is somewhat smaller than I anticipated.

      I would like to thank Mountain Khakis and BackpackGearTest.org for providing me with the opportunity to test this product.
    • Derek Hansen
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 10, 2014
        Here is my IR for these pants.

        I don't remember posting this, but bitly thinks I did back in May. OH well. If this is dupe, sorry.

        > https://bitly.com/1rj3q0V

        Best,

        ~derek

        # # #

[...]

        COLORS Willow (testing), Stone, Retro Khaki
[...]

        Pockets - The front pockets are deep enough to fit my whole hand. The left rear pocket has a hook-and-loop fastener to keep it closed. The front right zippered pocket shares the same space as the front right pocket, which I'll have to see how it works/feels in the future. In my initial testing, I placed my slim wallet in the front zipper (secure) pocket, but it bulges out into the front pocket, making for an odd sensory reaction when I place my hand in the pocket (I feel it, but can't access it). I'll have to play around with what objects work well in that space.

        pix-khaki-tag
        Appearance - I generally like the look of the pants, but the real compliment for me is what my wife thinks, and she loves how I look in them, so I'm sold.

        INITIAL SUMMARY

        PRO--Very lightweight. Packs down really small. Nice feel.

        CON--The waist is somewhat smaller than I anticipated.

        I would like to thank Mountain Khakis and BackpackGearTest.org for providing me with the opportunity to test this product.
      • Kathy Waters
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 11, 2014
          Derek,

          Submitted to the list on 5/28, edited 5/29 and uploaded 5/29.

          Kathy

          I don't remember posting this, but bitly thinks I did back in May. OH well.
          If this is dupe, sorry.

          > https://bitly.com/1rj3q0V

          Best,

          ~derek

[...]