FR - OR Transcendent Vest - Theresa Lawrence

  • Theresa Lawrence
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 29, 2014
      Hi Curt, here's my FR ... then I should be on the same dates as the rest of the testers for this vest ... thank you for editing my stuff ... Cheers, Theresa

      The wee URL is here and text below ....

      http://tinyurl.com/pnwcq57

      Field Report - April 29, 2014
      FIELD CONDITIONS

      In March I used the transcendent vest on a 7 day, 6 night hut based backcountry ski-touring trip in the Monashee mountain range in southern British Columbia. Temperatures on this trip were relatively warm for the region ranging from -5 to -1 C (23 to 30 F). We had over a meter (3.3 ft) of snowfall over the course of the week. This meant that it snowed almost everyday all day while we were there. Needless to say, visibility was poor and on top of this we had some rather chilling windy days. Overall, the wind wasn't bad, it was just memorably wet from the relentless snow and warmer temperatures. Later on in April I brought this vest on 2 different weekend overnights tenting near Koocanusa Lake in Montana. I used it around camp and for rock climbing in the cool mornings. Temperatures have risen in this region to highs of 17 C (62 F) and lows of 1 C (34 F) over night. We had some significant wind come up from the lake, but for the most part clear, warm, sunny days and cooler, windy evenings made for some enjoyable outings. Apart from this I have carried this vest around in my search and rescue ready pack and have used it during some practice time.
      OBSERVATIONS

      Comfort & Fit:
      First off, the transcendent vest has been light and comfortable to wear. It fit nicely and comfortably over my base layers and under my Gortex shell, which I needed for the persistent snowfall we had on our backcountry ski-touring trip. As mentioned before as I'm wearing a man's vest and I'm not shaped as such I won't dabble further in the fit area. I do want to mention that the material was very light, soft and cozy to wear.  I also enjoyed the soft material around the neck and inside the hand warming pockets.

      Performance and Function:
      I have found this vest to be a well functioning mid-layer in colder temperatures, which proved itself when it kept me warm during rest stops on my ski-touring trip. I used it mainly in this sense on that trip. Anytime there was a stop, I would put the vest on over my base layers (thermal underwear and a thicker fleece layer), then my shell on top, which protected me from wind and snow. I was very happy to have this item of warmth with me on this trip. I was able to ski down with the vest on, but it was ultimately too hot to wear skinning up hill as was expected. I found its ability to maintain and generate heat in these temperatures was very good. I also appreciated the rigidness and size of the zipper toggles, which allowed my to zip and unzip with my mitts on.

      On the warmer tenting trips, I found the vest kept me warm against the wind, so long as my arms were covered with a windproof layer. It was nice to wear as an outer layer around the campfire and it kept me warm through the evening as temperatures fell. It worked well as an outer layer for rock climbing in the cool mornings. The vest cut kept my arms free and my core toasty.

      I used the chest pocket several times to stash a small pack of tissue and at other times my small digital camera. It was a handy spot to warm up my camera in the snowier temperatures. I also explored the pillow option when I was tenting and found that it made quite a lovely pillow with the soft side up, which was a bonus. And because it did pack up so small and was so light, it really did have a great weight to warmth ratio for bringing into the backcountry.

      Durability:
      On this front I can't see any defects now from its 'out of the box' new state it arrived in. I'm sure this can be attributed to the quality craftsmanship. We'll see how it fairs further down the road in the long-term test phase.
      SUMMARY

      So far I am very pleased with Outdoor Research's transcendent down vest. It offers a lot of warmth for a very small and light piece of gear. There's really no excuse to leave it at home. I like the versatility of the vest which is not restricting in the arms for activities like climbing and still offers a very warm layering option underneath a shell or as an outer layer on its own. Its use in snowy temperatures as well as warmer spring temperatures boasts its abilities to accommodate any number of activities, uses and seasons.

      LIKES
      - Lightweight
      - Very warm in snowy temperatures, works well as a mid-layer
      - Versatile layer in warmer temperatures and useful for many activities as an outer layer
      - Nice pockets with fleece lining
      - Functions as a simple pillow in the backcountry
      - Big and rigid zipper toggles that are easy to use with mitts on
      - Chest pocket option for storing small items, freeing up the hand warming pockets

      Nothing to DISLIKE

      Thanks to Outdoor Research and BackpackGearTest.org for allowing me to take part in this test series, I'm looking forward to continuing my adventures with this vest into the long-term test phase.
    • nwcurt
      Message 2 of 3 , May 18, 2014

        Hi Theresa,

        Thanks for your patience in getting this test all figured out. See edits below. HTML looks good on my browser. Feel free to upload after changes. Thanks!

        -Curt

        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/FR%20-%20OR%20Transcendent%20Vest%20-%20Theresa%20Lawrence/me%20vest%2015.jpgIn March I used the transcendent vest on a 7 day, 6 night hut based backcountry ski-touring trip in the Monashee mountain range in southern British Columbia.

        **I think the normal convention is to capitalize the product name

        This meant that it snowed almost everyday all day while we were there.

        **Every day should be two words in this usage

        First off, the transcendent vest has been light and comfortable to wear.

        **Capitalize?

         It fit nicely and comfortably over my base layers and under my Gortex shell, which I needed for the persistent snowfall we had on our backcountry ski-touring trip.

        **Gore-Tex has an “e” in it.

        I was able to ski down with the vest on, but it was ultimately too hot to wear skinning up hill as was expected.

        **Uphill should be one word in this usage

        I also appreciated the rigidness and size of the zipper toggles, which allowed my to zip and unzip with my mitts on.

        **Which “allowed ME to zip and unzip….”

        Message 3 of 3 , May 19, 2014
          Thanks Curt, all is done, uploaded and deleted, thank you! Theresa