FR - Montbell - Trail Action Parka - Derek Hanasen

  • Derek Hansen
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 9, 2014
      Jerry,

      Sorry for the delay! Here is my field report for your review.

      > http://bit.ly/1hjircR

      Best,

      ~derek

      # # #

      FIELD REPORT

      FIELD LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      I've used the Odin pants on a few backpacking trips, trail runs, and a few day hikes.

      Jan 31-Feb 1: Cinder Hills, Flagstaff, Arizona. This was a quick overnight backpacking trip on the cinder hills surrounding Flagstaff. We've had a record-breaking dry spell with warm temperatures all winter (so far), but it began to snow this weekend so I decided to take advantage of the opportunity. Low temperature was 23*F (-5*C).

      Feb 14-15: Fossil Springs, near Strawberry, Arizona. This was one of our annual backpacking trips with the troop, with an 8 mile (13 km) trail down into the canyon. The elevation was 5,500 ft (1,676 m). During the night, the temperature dropped into the upper-20s *F (-5 *C).

      Mar 7-8: Mormon Lake, Arizona. This was a base camp near the lake at 7,000 ft (2,134 m). During the night, the temperature dropped into the low-20s *F (-7 *C).

      Mar 21-22: Flagstaff, Arizona. The elevation was 7,000 ft (2,134 m). During the night, the temperature dropped into the low-20s *F (-5 *C).

      Mar 28-29: Flagstaff, Arizona. The elevation was 7,000 ft (2,134 m). During the night, the temperature dropped into the low-30s *F (-1 *C).

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      This jacket has really found a niche in my clothing regiment. It breathes really well. This is not good when it is windy, at least when I want to retain heat and not have it pulled away. When trail running or hiking, the parka has proven perfect for ventilation and warmth.

      pix-cinder-summit
      Appearance/durability - The parka has retained its "like new" appearance, even after multiple washes. After a trail run or camping trip, I've tossed the parka to get laundered and everything has been just fine. The zippers have worked perfectly without any snags. The hidden Napoleon pocket sometimes hides the zipper so well I really have to dig to find it.

      Warmth/Wind Resistance - Most of my trips have hovered in the 20 to 30*F (-7 to -1*C) range. Usually for this temperature I would bring along a down jacket, but so far, I've been fine with just the parka and a wind shirt. This combination has been so effective that it has is turning into my preferred lightweight system. I worry less about sweating through the insulation (not good with down). I can vent or adjust my layers enough so that I can keep dry as it cools. As I mentioned before, the jacket breathes really well, so during my cold morning runs, I get a good balance of heat retention without overheating. Sometimes my arms have felt cool, but it hasn't bothered me. The only trip where I wanted more insulation was to Mormon Lake. I think one difference is that this was a car camping trip with very little activity, so my metabolism wasn't working as hard and so I wasn't producing as much heat.

      pix-fossil-springs
      Comfort - The fit is snug and slightly athletic. The fit on my arms is tight, but not constricting, so long as I don't wear any layers underneath. I've found a wicking layer and/or a t-shirt under the parka is about the best base layer. Long-sleeve shirts don't work as the parka is too tight. I wish the parka was a little longer around my torso, maybe an inch or so, as I often find that the fabric will bunch up around my waste and leave my tender skin exposed. The parka has also been a good reminder for me to lose those extra pounds around my middle.

      Pockets - I mostly keep my cell phone or small camera in the chest pocket. I've often placed bulky items in the inner pockets, such as hats, gloves, and balaclavas. Since the jacket is so fitted, I often get a nice pot belly look when I keep things in my pockets. The outside hand pockets, as I mentioned before, are sewn a little higher than I've seen on other jackets, yet they are perfectly spaced for accommodating a backpack's hip belt.

      FIELD USE SUMMARY

      The MontBell Parka continues to perform well and I love wearing it! I have no real complaints.
    • jerry adams
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 12, 2014

        Nice report, looks like it worked well for you.

        You're wearing fingerless mittens.  I made some that work really well for me, but I haven't seen those for sale anywhere.

        Couple of minor edits:

        "The parka has retained its "like new" appearance"
        add apostrophe - it's

        "This was a quick overnight backpacking trip on the cinder hills surrounding Flagstaff"
        Capitalize Cinder Hills.

        "This jacket has really found a niche in my clothing regiment."
        Regime?  Unless you're clothing a group of military people?  Maybe Boy Scouts??? : )

        On Wednesday, April 9, 2014 10:19 PM, Derek Hansen <derek.hansen@...> wrote:

        Jerry,

        Sorry for the delay! Here is my field report for your review.

        > http://bit.ly/1hjircR

        Best,

        ~derek

        # # #

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 12, 2014
          Thanks!

          I’ll get these edits done, except the “it’s” contraction — that would make the sentence read “…has retained it is like new appearance”, which would be wrong.

          ~derek