IR Gregory Targee 45 pack - Ed Morse

  • Edwin Morse
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 5, 2014
      IR Gregory Targee 45 pack - Ed Morse
      Bob,
      Here is the text version of my IR for the Gregory Targee 45 pack. The HTML version should be found in the test folder at:

      Thanks in advance for your edits. I hope I didn't make your job too difficult.

      GREGORY TARGEE 45
      TEST SERIES BY EDWIN MORSE
      IR
      March 05, 2014

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Edwin Morse
      EMAIL: ed dot morse at charter dot net
      AGE: 76
      LOCATION: Grand Traverse County, Michigan, USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 8" (1.73 m)
      WEIGHT: 145 lb (65.80 kg)

      I started backpacking in 1979 with two weeks in northern Michigan along the Lake Superior shore. My gear was cheap, heavy and sometimes painful. My starting pack weight was 70 lb (32 kg) with food but no water. Since then I have made one-to-two week trips in Michigan, Maine, New Hampshire and Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Florida. Now my pack weighs between 22 and 32 lb (10 and 15 kg). I'm slowly learning what lighter gear works.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer: Gregory Mountain Products
      Year of Manufacture: 2014
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://gregorypacks.com/">>
      MSRP: US$199
      Listed Weight: 78 oz (2211 g)
      Conflicting information: the website lists 4 lb 14 oz while the hang tag on the pack indicates 3 lb 14 oz, or 62 oz (1758 g)
      Measured Weight: 63 oz (1786 g)
      Other details: The following size information was copied from the website.
      The Gregory Targee 45 is available in three sizes. The Small, volume of 42 L, Wt 1.64 kg (3 lb 10 oz, Torso 41-46 cm / 16-18 in.
      The Medium,  volume of 45 L, Wt 1.81 kg /4 lb 14 oz, Torso 46-51 cm / 18-20 in.
      The Large,   volume of 48 L, Wt 1.87 kg / 4 lb 2 oz, Torso 51-56 cm / 20-22 in.

      I'm testing the size Medium. It appears to me that there is a mis-print  for the weight of the size Medium.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "full front view"  IMAGE CAPTION = "full front view">>
      Here is a full front view. The straps near the bottom left and right are part of the snowshoe carry system.
      The Targee 45 is available in two colors; Radiant Orange and Obsidian Black.

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      The Gregory Targee 45 appears to be a heavy duty pack that is loaded with features for winter use. There are more features than I will ever use, perhaps more than I will ever learn, or need, to use.  I will start at the top to describe all the features I can both see and understand.  Here is a picture showing the top lid and pocket.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "top pocket"  IMAGE CAPTION = "top pocketfrom back">>
      This pocket opens from either side, The zipper pulls are visible on both left and right.
      Here is a picture of the top lid from below with another, smaller, pocket.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "top pocket bottom view"  IMAGE CAPTION = "underside of top pocket">>
      I will use this pocket to carry my billfold and keys. A snap hook is just visible below the zipper pull on the right side.
      Below is a picture of the back side of the pack showing the shoulder straps.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "back overall view"  IMAGE CAPTION = "back oveerall view">>
      Several things are visible in this picture. Near the top, just below the top pocket zipper, is a heavy duty carry handle. The color blends in too well but there are load lifters on each shoulder strap. A zipper runs the full length of the shoulder strap on the left, with the zipper half open and the zipper pull visible at about the center of the strap. This is the insulated hydration sleeve and the only place the tube from a hydration bladder can exit the pack. Very nice idea in a pack intended for winter use. I am curious to see if this will keep the hose and bite valve from freezing in colder weather. My practice has been to blow water back into the bladder and keep the bite valve and as much hose as possible inside my jacket as possible.

      Below is a closer low view.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "right shoulder strap"  IMAGE CAPTION = "right shoulder strap">>
      The zipper is again visible on the right shoulder strap, there is enough room for the bite valve at the bottom. A loop is visible on the right side of the hip belt. The way the loop is sewn suggests that any force should be down. I do not, yet, understand the purpose of this loop.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "left side hip belt"  IMAGE CAPTION = "pocket on left side of hip belt">>
      The above image shows the pocket in the left side of the hip belt. This pocket will easily hold either my camera or my GPS.

      READING THE INSTRUCTIONS

      No instructions came with the pack. There is a video on the website that reviews some features. There is a quick view of fastening skiis on the pack. Since I'm not an experienced mountain hiker and skier I would find good instructions helpful.

      TRYING IT OUT

      I prefer to start with basics. Whether I'm hiking, skiing or snowshoeing I need to carry water. I filled a two liter Platypus bladder and put it in the hydration sleeve. Then I worked the bite valve through the small hole and down inside the right shoulder strap. Below is a picture with the back panel unzipped.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "inside back panel"  IMAGE CAPTION = "back panel unzipped">>
      The bladder is in the hydration sleeve with the hose up and through into the shoulder strap. On the left the bite valve is visible.
      Here is a picture showing the hydration system in use.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "hydration system in use"  IMAGE CAPTION = "hydration hose">>
      Since I had the hydration bladder and hose in place I thought I should get outside. I added a first aid kit, extra mittens and a jacket. Then I took the pack and my snowshoes to a nearby state forest ski trail. It was 5 F (-15 C) when I started snowshoeing. I went about 4.5 miles (7.3 km) which included two stretches of about one half mile (0.8 km) each on forest roads. When I got to the roads I took off the snowshoes and strapped them to the pack.

      I was a bit surprised that, with the hose and bite valve zipped in the pack strap, the bite valve did not freeze. By the time I finished my short hike the temperature was up to 20 F (-7 C). I thought the pack was comfortable and carried very well, both with and without the snowshoes strapped on. The buckles are easy to use while wearing heavy gloves. The straps I used to fasten on the snowshoes were hard to get out of the little pockets

      SUMMARY

      The Gregory Targee 45 pack is a heavy duty day pack with many features specifically for winter activities. I really do not expect to ever use some of the features, such as the avalanche tool pockets or the ability to carry an ice ax.  I expect I will carry skis on the pack at different times during the remainder of our winter weather. I have often carried skis by hand in past winters when trails got bad in late spring. Now I can carry the skis on the pack.

      Likes:
      The bright orange color.
      The hydration sleeve and shoulder strap pocket.
      Comfortable to carry.

      Not so good:
      Heavy weight for a day pack.

      Please check back in about two months for more use and information in the Field Report.

      I would like to thank Gregory and Backpackgeartest.org for the opportunity to use and evaluate this pack.

      Copyright 2014.  All rights reserved.
    • Bob
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 10, 2014
        Hi Edwin,

        Looks like a great winter pack. Too bad spring is almost here.

        Simple edits and a couple of comments. Fix and upload at will and don't forget to delete your test file.

        All the best,
        Bob

        Comment: Some of the images look a bit blurry. You might try using a faster shutter speed or a flash if you can.

        IMAGE CAPTION = top pocketfrom back
        EDIT: put a space between pocket and from

        IMAGE CAPTION = back oveerall view
        EDIT: oveerall should be overall
      • Edwin Morse
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 11, 2014
          Hi Bob,
          I agree, I probably won't get a whole lot of winter use. We are in the sspring pattern of warm days and cold days. I will be doing trail work repairing winter damage in less than two months.

          Edits done. I was able to improve and replaced some of the pictures. New HTML uploaded to the packs folder and deleted from Tests folder

          Ed Morse