IR - REI TELUS Men's Rain Jacket - John Waters

  • BySky Admin
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 24, 2014

      Once again, I’m terribly late with a report.  I’d blame it on BridGeT but that would get me intro trouble.  Hope to get more with-it as soon as Kathy gets back from her travels and pitches in on her own work.  (That will probably get me into just as much trouble.)

      Text is below and HTML is in test folder at: http://tinyurl.com/kkeny9l

      JohnWaters

      REI TELUS MEN'S RAIN JACKET

      TEST SERIES BY JOHN R. WATERS

      IR

      February 23, 2014

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: John R. Waters

      EMAIL: jrw at backpackgeartest dot org

      AGE: 64

      LOCATION: Canon City, Colorado USA

      GENDER: M

      HEIGHT: 5' 9" (1.75 m)

      WEIGHT: 175 lb (79.40 kg)

      My backpacking began in 1999.  I have hiked rainforests in Hawaii, Costa Rica, and Puerto Rico, glaciers in New Zealand and Iceland, 14ers in Colorado and Death Valley's deserts.

      I hike or snowshoe 6-8 miles (10 km-13 km) 2-3 times weekly in the Cooper Mountain range, with other day-long hikes on various other southwest and central Colorado trails.  I frequently hike the mountains and deserts of Utah and Arizona as well.

      My daypack is 18 lb (8 kg); overnights' weigh over 25 lb (11 kg).  I'm aiming to reduce my weight load by 40% or more.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      <TABLE WIDTH="98%"><TR><TD>: Recreational Equipment, Inc

      Year of Manufacture: 2014

      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.rei.com" LINK TEXT = "http://www.rei.com">>

      MSRP: US $249.00

      Listed Average Weight: 1 lb 7  oz (65 g) -

      Measured Weight: 1 lb 6 oz (45 g)

      Available Colors:  Black/Black, Cast Iron/Squash & Sky Dive/Shale

      Tested Color:  Black/Black

      Available Sizes:  Small to XxL

      Tested Size:  Large

      Other details: <em>From Manufacturer's Website </em>

      *  Shell Fabric:  Polyester

      *  Shell Lining Fabrid:  Nylon tricot

      *  Waterproofing:  eVent waterproof breathable membrand

      *  Imported</TD><TD>  <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "REI Telus Rain Jacket"  IMAGE CAPTION = "Picture Courtesy REI">>  </TD></TR></TABLE>

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      According to the website, the REI eVent Telus shell is designed to keep its wearer dry and protected from the elements. eVent is a product of General Electric Company, of which GE says "with it waterproof, air permeable technology, eVent fabric is trusted in the most intense weather conditions on the planet." So I hoping it will be really great for backpackers.

      The jacket I received from REI is black with a light gray interior. Almost all the exposed seams appear to be heat sealed or very tightly woven and overlapped. I don't see any visible seam exposure where moisture can enter the shell.

      I ordered a large men's because I wear a size 42 jacket annd have a 36 inch (91 cm) waist. Most large shells fit just fine. This jacket has quite long sleeves for me. I'm 5 ft 7 in (170 cm) tall and from my neck to my wrist, I'm ony 28 inches (71 cm) and the sleeves on the jacket are 33 inches (83 cm). So, the sleeves extend down to cover most of my hand, which is good, because in heavy rain or snow the sleeves can add extra protection.

      I do find the jacket tight fitting around my waist. Much tighter than my other large sized shells. But it does look nice and it is more tapered fitting. I've already worn it over 3 layers, but time will tell if I am still comfortable as I get more out into the field where I have to move around a lot more.

      The eVent hood is integrated into the shell. I am not a big fan of non-detachable hoods that don't roll up and don't have, at least, a quick release clip or snap. It can be very uncomfortable to put a hood over my head and dump snow down my neck. However, I was able to figure out that I can roll the hood inside and fold it so it is not exposed. I'll have pictures of this in the next report.

      On the left breast there is a sealed zipped pocket (see photo) that is larger than my whole hand wide open and has a interior hole to port a earpiece inside the shell up to my ear (see photo). I'll see how that goes.

      <TABLE WIDTH="98%"><TR><TD ALIGN="CENTER">  <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Hand in Pocket">>  </TD><TD ALIGN="CENTER">  <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Media Port">>  </TD></TR></TABLE>

      Below that pocket on the left side is another vertically zipped hand pocket that has a mesh screen interior fabric. The mesh pockets allow more venting if the pocket is open.

      <TABLE WIDTH="98%" ALIGN="CENTER"><TR><TD ALIGN="CENTER">  <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Zippered Pouch">>  </TD></TR></TABLE>

      Under the left and right arms are 13 inch (33 cm) pit zips that very nicely zip from either top or bottom and have a mesh backing.

      On the right side there is an interior breast pocket with a vertical zip that is mesh. So it is waterproof on the outside and not even visible from the front but accessible from the inside. I'm thinking that this may be where I can keep my cell phone.

      There is a right side hand pocket that mirrors the left side pocket. All pockets come with glove-grabbable nylon extenders on the zippers.

      <TABLE WIDTH="98%" ALIGN="CENTER"><TR><TD ALIGN="CENTER">  <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 5">>  </TD></TR></TABLE>

      The entire bottom has a wrap around bungie cinching cord with a left and right adjustble squeeze tab to hold the adjustment in place.

      The hood has a cinching cord around its face side with squeeze tabs on left and right to hold the adjustment in place. There is also a hood bungie at the back about half way up the hood to pull the hood tighter to my head and it also has a squeeze tab to hold that adjustment in place.

      Each sleeve cuff has hook and loop cinching strap to tighten the end of the sleeve around my wrist and I need that because the sleeves are too long for me.

      This appears to be a very well designed product with thoughtful finishing touches. I look forward to putting it through some winter weather here in Colorado and hopefully some major rain in the Spring. I have already worn it with the 3 layers in 5 F (-15 C) snowy weather here and the snow and wet freezing drizzle just rolled right off. We don't get a lot of real wet snow here, but so far it was a pleasure to wear. More later in the field report that will cover the next 8 weeks.

      Oh and did I mention that it looked great on?

      READING THE INSTRUCTIONS

      Since a picture is worth a thousand words..

      <TABLE WIDTH="98%" ALIGN="CENTER"><TR><TD ALIGN="CENTER">  <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Care Instructions">>  </TD></TR></TABLE>

      .

      SUMMARY

      I'm very excited about trying out this REI Telus Rain Jacket.  It appears to be a quality product and very functional.  It will get a good drenching on a planned trip to Florida in late February, so please come back in a couple of months to see how the jacket fares.

      Thank you to BackpackGearTest.org and REI for the opportunity to experience the Telus.

      <em>John R. Waters</em>

      Copyright 2014.  All rights reserved.

    • Derek Hansen
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 24, 2014
        John,

        Here are your edits in typical BGT fashion. I hope you don't get in too much trouble with BridGeT!

        Best,

        ~derek

        # # #

        Comment: Overall, the HTML looks okay, but I wish the photos were larger. At 200x113, they are near thumbnail size, which makes it difficult to see the details you are describing.

        > Listed Average Weight: 1 lb 7 oz (65 g) -
        EDIT: 652 g

        > Measured Weight: 1 lb 6 oz (45 g)
        EDIT: 624 g

        > Available Sizes: Small to XxL
        EDIT: XXL

        > * Shell Lining Fabrid: Nylon tricot
        EDIT: Fabric

        > * Waterproofing: eVent waterproof breathable membrand
        EDIT: membrane

        > "with it waterproof, air permeable technology, eVent fabric is trusted in the most intense weather conditions on the planet."
        EDIT: "with its waterproof...

        > So I hoping it will be really great for backpackers.
        EDIT: Missing verb: "So I was hoping..."

        Edit: Subtle word choice option, but switching "backpackers" with "backpacking" eliminates any casual projecting and applies it directly to your personal activity. I hope that makes sense.

        > I ordered a large men's because I wear
        Edit: Word choice: I would recommend saying "I requested a men's large..."

        > a size 42 jacket annd have a 36 inch (91 cm) waist.

        EDIT: 42 (107 cm)
        EDIT: and

        > I'm ony 28 inches (71 cm) and the sleeves on the jacket are 33 inches (83 cm).
        EDIT: only
        Edit: My arms are only 28 in (71 cm) long...jacket are 33 in (83 cm) long.

        > Much tighter than my other large sized shells.
        Edit: large-sized

        > But it does look nice and it is more tapered fitting.
        Edit: This sentence could be revised to clear up the ending: "...and it is more tapered." OR "...and it has a more tapered fitting."

        > I've already worn it over 3 layers,
        > I have already worn it with the 3 layers in 5 F (-15 C) snowy weather
        > More later in the field report that will cover the next 8 weeks.
        Comment: I generally recommend common usage that specifies numerals one through nine are spelled out. Where clarity is preferred, especially in data-rich context, I like the numerals. I'll leave this one as food for thought.

        > larger than my whole hand wide open and has a interior hole
        EDIT: "...has an interior..."

        > Each sleeve cuff has hook and loop cinching strap to tighten
        EDIT: Match tense: "Each sleeve cuff has ... straps..." OR "Each sleeve cuff as a ... strap..."

        > appears to be a very well designed product
        Edit: well-designed

        > Colorado and hopefully some major rain in the Spring.
        EDIT: lowercase "spring"

        > Oh and did I mention that it looked great on?
        EDIT: Incomplete sentence. "...looked great on me?"
      • BySky Admin
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 27, 2014

          Derek,

          Thank you for the edits.  I guess I should have had my usual “pre-editor” look at it first.  I made all corrections and increased the size of the images as you suggested.  Next report should be timely and much better (Kathy  comes home in 10 days0.

          Thanks again.

          John

          Here are your edits in typical BGT fashion. I hope you don't get in too much trouble with BridGeT!

          Best,

          ~derek

          # # #

          Comment: Overall, the HTML looks okay, but I wish the photos were larger. At 200x113, they are near thumbnail size, which makes it difficult to see the details you are describing.

          > Listed Average Weight: 1 lb 7 oz (65 g) -
          EDIT: 652 g

          > Measured Weight: 1 lb 6 oz (45 g)
          EDIT: 624 g