IR - Seirus Dynamax Quick Combo - Andrea Murland

  • Andrea Murland
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 7, 2014
      Hi Mike,

      I see you're the lucky one who gets to edit my work here.  Hope I didn't make it too difficult.

      HTML: http://tinyurl.com/k9g2r5t

      Text:

      Seirus Dynamax Quick Combo

      Initial Report – February 7, 2014

      Tester Information:

      Name: Andrea Murland

      Email: amurland AT shaw DOT ca

      Age: 28

      Location: Elkford & Kimberley, British Columbia, Canada

      Gender: Female

      Height: 5 ft 2 in (1.57 m)

      Weight: 130 lb (59 kg)

      I began hiking frequently in 2006 and have since hiked in Western Canada, Australia, and spent two months backpacking in the Alps.  I spend most weekends either day-hiking or on 2 to 3 day backpacking trips, with some longer trips when I can manage them.  I also snowshoe and ski in the winter, but don’t have a lot of experience with winter in the backcountry yet.  Elevation is typically 500-3,000 m (1,600-10,000 ft), in the Canadian Rockies and the Selkirk, Purcell, and Monashee ranges.  I try for a light pack, but I don’t consider myself a lightweight backpacker.

      Product Information:

      Manufacturer: Seirus Innovation

      Manufacturer’s URL: http://www.seirus.com/

      Model: Dynamax Quick Combo

      Year of Manufacture: 2013

      MSRP:  None listed

      Size: One size

      Colour: Black

      Listed Weight:  None

      Measured Weight:  64 g (2.2 oz)

      Care instructions (from tag): Hand wash only, hand dry, drip dry, or dry flat. Do not bleach, press, iron,steam, or wring dry by hand.

      Description & Initial Impressions:

      The Seirus Dynamax Quick Combo is a skullcap, neckwarmer, and facemask all in one.  The skullcap and neckwarmer are made from 90% polyester and 10% spandex, and are stretchy and soft. The inner surface is fuzzy.  The fabric is Dynamax, which the manufacturer says is warm, wicking, and wind-blocking.  The skullcap has six seams that start mid-head height and combine at one point at the top of the cap.  The band of the skullcap is a double-layer of fabric.  The neckwarmer is sewn into the band of the hat, and connects to the facemask just in front of my ears.  The facemask is made from 70% neoprene, 15% nylon, and 15% polyester, and also has a soft, fuzzy inner surface.  The bottom and sides of the facemask are sewn into the remainder of the neckwarmer tube.  The facemask has a flat seam down the front, running from just under my nose to the bottom of the neoprene.  On either side of the seam are twenty small holes that sit in front of my mouth.  A few of the holes aren’t completely punched out. Above the seam is a slit and then a piece of the neoprene fabric that sits out a bit and covers the end of my nose.

      Trying It Out:

      After putting on the Quick Combo, the first thing that I noticed is that the material is comfortable.  That’s a good start!  I didn’t find the seams annoying in the first few minutes I was wearing it.  I have quite a small head, so it was no surprise to me that the one-size-fits-all beanie was rather large. It comes down to the bottom of my eyes if I pull the skullcap all the way down onto my head.  I can fold the band back to keep it out of my eyes.

      The product packaging shows four different ways to wear the Quick Combo.  One is in full balaclava mode, with the facemask up.  One is to pull the facemask down to below my chin.  This was easy to do and seemed comfortable for the few minutes I left it there.  One is to wear just the neckwarmer and mask, with the beanie pulled back off my head, which seems strange because I can’t imagine having a facemask and neckwarmer on without needing a hat.  In this configuration my ears weren’t fully covered, and the neckwarmer wanted to slip down in the back.  The fourth method was to stuff the neckwarmer and facemask into the beanie and then just wear the beanie, which worked but felt lumpy (though it did make the skullcap fit better!).

      I also tried the Quick Combo with my ski helmet and goggles.  My ski helmet has always been worn with a beanie so space in the helmet was no problem.  I was able to pull the skullcap back a bit on my head and even with a wrinkle in my helmet that was sufficiently comfortable.  I did note that the chin strap of my helmet has to go on top of the Quick Combo, which seems obvious now, but I have always worn a neckwarmer on top of the strap.  The facemask I was able to adjust to sit just under the edge of my goggles.  I wear glasses under my goggles, so I am interested to see if fogging will be a problem.

      The Seirus Dynamax Quick Combo is a full face-covering balaclava and skullcap that looks like it will keep me warm this winter.  I look forward to trying it out and seeing how it performs while skiing and hiking.  I hope the fabric stays nice and dry as I breathe through it, and that my goggles and glasses don’t fog up!

      Thanks to Seirus Innovation and BackpackGearTest.org for the chance to test the Dynamax Quick Combo!  Check back in approximately 4 months (June 2014) for my Long Term Report to see if I’m warm and comfortable.

    • Mike Mosack
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 9, 2014
        Hi Andrea,
        Nice to see you again. My edits are as follows in the usual format of -
        EDIT-  Must change
        Edit – My recommended change [if] you agree.
        Comment – Is just that.

        Nothing big – just a couple of nitpicks for you to consider.

        “One is in full balaclava mode, with the facemask up. One is…One is…The fourth…”

        Edit – I would either number these four optional wearing methods sequentially or list the [fourth] as “lastly” or “the final” or something equally non-numeric to stay consistent with the previous three, which aren’t actually numbered.

        “The facemask I was able to adjust to sit just under the edge of my goggles.”

        Edit – I personally would reword this sentence to something like this – “I was able to adjust the facemask to sit just under the edge of my goggles.”

        So that’s all I found. Go ahead and upload when you’re ready and remember to delete the test version please.

        Have a good day and see you next time.

        Mike Mosack

        Hi Mike,

        I see you're the lucky one who gets to edit my work here.  Hope I didn't make it too difficult.

        HTML: http://tinyurl.com/k9g2r5t

      • ringrat55
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 9, 2014

          Got 'em.  Thanks Mike.