LTR-Energizer 2 in 1 Light-Frances Penn

  • oldhikergirl
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 7 12:45 PM

      http://tinyurl.com/pc69rja

      ENERGIZER 2 IN 1 LIGHT
      TEST SERIES BY FRANCES PENN
      LTR
      February 04, 2014

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Frances Penn
      EMAIL: oldhikergirl AT yahoo DOT com
      AGE: 57
      LOCATION: Santa Ana, California
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
      WEIGHT: 130 lb (59.00 kg)

      I have been backpacking for six years mostly on long weekends in Southern California with two or more 5-day trips per year in the Sierras. My total daypack weight, including food and water, is usually 15 lb (7 kg) and my total backpack weight, including food and water, is usually 26-30 lb (12-14 kg) depending on the need for a bear canister.  I have recently converted to a tarp, bivy and quilt sleeping system instead of a tent. I have experienced all night rain, hail, heavy winds, camping in snow once, but mostly fair weather.

      LONG-TERM REPORT

      LONG-TERM TEST LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      Trip #1:
      Location:  Cottonwood Lakes area by Mt. Langley, California USA
      Elevation:  11,100 ft (3,400 M)
      Trip Duration:  8 days, 7 nights
      Trail Conditions:  dirt forest trail with some rocky portions and off trail portions
      Temperatures:  40 to 70 F (4-39 C)
      Weather:  four sunny days, four windy and cloudy days, one afternoon of light rain with cool nights

      Trip #2:
      Location:  San Jacinto State Park, California USA
      Elevation:  10,860 ft ( 3,310 M)
      Trip Duration:  2 days, 1 night
      Trail Conditions:  dirt forest trail with some rocky portions with small snow patches
      Temperatures:  35 to 60 F (1-33 C)
      Weather:  mostly sunny with wind during the night

      Trip #3:
      Location:  Big Bear, California USA
      Elevation:  7,000 ft (2,100 M)
      Trip Duration:  2 days, 1 night
      Trail Conditions:   dirt forest trail with some rocky portions
      Temperatures:  35 to 60 F (1 to 33 C)
      Weather:  mostly sunny with a cool night

      Trip #4:
      Location:  Joshua Tree National Park, California USA
      Elevation:  3,200 ft (975 M)
      Trip Duration:  3 days, 2 nights
      Trail Conditions:  sandy desert off trail with lots of desert cactus to avoid
      Temperatures:  35 to 60 F (1 to 33 C)
      Weather:  mostly sunny with light winds during the day and heavier winds at night

      Trip #5:
      Location:  Joshua Tree National Park, California USA
      Elevation:  4,500 ft ( 1,372  M)
      Trip Duration:  3 days, 2 nights
      Trail Conditions:  sandy desert off trail with lots of desert cactus
      Temperatures:  25 to 50 F ( -3 to 10 C)
      Weather:  mostly sunny with winds during half of the days and nights

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      This light is very bright and versatile.  Being able to reduce the brightness of both the flashlight and the lantern has been a useful feature.  The light performed well on all the trips, three additional car camping trips and on evening walks in the neighborhood.

      I tied a lanyard to the loop end of the light so I could hang it in a tree in camp.  This picture shows the difference in light output on the brightest and dimmest lantern settings.

      The lanyard also worked to hang the light inside my tent for bedtime reading.

      Being able to place the light on its end or on its side in camp is also a very useful feature.  I found the light to be stable.  It stayed where I placed it and did not fall, as long as I placed it on a reasonably flat surface.

      Mostly I used the light on the dimmed lantern setting for 3-4 hours at night in camp during dinner and while getting ready for bed.  The total hours of use is at least 52 hours on the backpacking trips with an extra 36 hours of use on the car camping trips.  Additional hours of use on the brightest flastlight setting on my evening walks is 6 hours.  I have used this light a total of 94 hours on all of the brightness settings.

      The light is still as bright as when I first installed the batters and turned it on.  In looking at the manufacturer's light output specifications that indicate the light should last for 100 hours on the lantern setting and 10 hours on the flashlight setting, the batteries are due for replacement soon.

      SUMMARY

      Considering the weight and size of this light, it will not be my first choice for backpacking trips, but it will definitely be my first choice for car camping trips.  The different light brightness settings and the flashlight and lantern options combine to make this light very versatile.

      This test series is now concluded.  Thank you to Energizer and BackpackGearTest.org for this testing opportunity.

      Copyright 2014.  All rights reserved.