FR - Montane - Prism - Derek Hansen

  • Derek Hansen
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 4, 2014
      Okay Coy, now it's your turn to edit me!

      Here is my report for the Prism pants. Love 'em!

      > http://bit.ly/1cSTYc8

      Best,

      ~derek

      # # #

      FIELD REPORT

      FIELD LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      I've used the Prism pants on two backpacking trips, a few day hikes, and over the holidays while visiting relatives, totaling 11 days.

      Nov 24-30: St. George and Orem, Utah. While visiting family during a funeral, I opted to camp outdoors multiple nights. Overnight, the low temperature was 25*F (-4*C).

      Dec 26-27: Snow Canyon Red Mountain Trail, Utah. My annual Christmastime trip into Snow Canyon with my family. We backpacked a total of 5 miles (8 km) with an elevation gain of 400 ft (122 m) and an overnight low of 30*F (-1*C).

      Dec 17: Old Caves Crater, Arizona. I did a few day hikes around the cinder hills, each about 3 mi (16 km) long. The elevation change was 1,400 ft (427 m). The wind was very strong, gusting at times to 40 MPH (64 km/h), with temperatures around 40*F (4*C).

      Jan 31-Feb 1: Cinder Hills, Flagstaff, Arizona. This was a quick overnight backpacking trip on the cinder hills surrounding Flagstaff. We've had a record-breaking dry spell with warm temperatures all winter (so far), but it began to snow this weekend so I decided to take advantage of the opportunity. Low temperature was 23*F (-5*C).

      pix-hammock-tilt-shift
      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      Appearance - Aside from a little mud collected on the cuffs around the ankle, the pants have kept very clean. I've brushed off dust and dirt and everything so far has remained clean and sharp.

      Warmth and comfort - As I mentioned, Flagstaff is in serious winter drought, so I've only been able to test wind shedding, which works well. I really like how well the outer shell keeps the wind from penetrating. I typically pack a pair of fleece bottoms that I wear to bed, but they don't cut the wind as well. Speaking of the fleece, I feel that the Prism pants are warmer and more comfortable, especially when getting the pants on and off. My fleece pants are tights, so I have to remove my shoes in order to put them on, but the Prism makes it easy to add layers thanks to the zipped calf.

      The pants add significant, immediate warmth to my legs. On my recent trip on the cinder hills, the temperature was at freezing. I was hiking in a pair of nylon pants and when I kept warm as I scaled the hill. However, after a few minutes of hunting for a camping spot near the top of the hill, I was feeling chilled. After getting my hammock shelter pitched, I slipped on the Prism pants and the effect was quick. As a test, I didn't pull the pants completely up to my waist, allowing them to "low ride" so I could slip my feet inside the pants while I slept. I really liked the effect in the night as my feet stayed comfortable all night. Usually, I have to warm up my feet before going to bed, but the pants did the job! I was impressed.

      pix-cinder-summit
      In the morning, I kept the insulated pants on as I cleaned up camp. Outside it was around 20*F (-7*C) or possibly lower (the temperature was a few degrees warmer when I checked after hiking back to my car). I hiked a few miles before I felt comfortable enough to slip the pants off.

      Packing - I normally shed stuff sacks, preferring instead to just use the backpack as one large stuff sack. However, I've found that the little stuff sack that came with the Prism pants has proved to be an effective way to keep the pants protected, organized, and used in the field. I've been rolling the pants before slipping them into the stuff sack.

      FIELD USE SUMMARY

      My standard of measurement for insulated pants has been my tried-and-true fleece running pants. The Prism pants are only a few grams heavier, but have been by far warmer, more versatile, and pack down smaller than the fleece. I'm loving them!

      I would like to thank Montane and BackpackGearTest.org for providing me with the opportunity to test this product.
    • starnescr
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 5, 2014
        Hi Derek. good job, great photos!  I only found a couple of edits and a few sentences that seemed a little off.

        Appearance - Aside from a little mud collected on the cuffs around the ankle, the pants have kept very clean. I've brushed off dust and dirt and everything so far has remained clean and sharp.

        Comment:  I think stayed would read better then kept here. or change to read I have managed to keep the pants very clean.

        I was hiking in a pair of nylon pants and when I kept warm as I scaled the hill.

        Edit: not sure what you meant to say but something like I was hiking in a pair of nylon pants which kept my legs warm as I scaled the hill.

         After getting my hammock shelter pitched,

        Comment: I never pitched a hammock shelter. Well I did experiment using mine as a ground shelter once but did not like it.  Anyways, you might consider changing pitched to hung or deployed...just to make me happy...LOL

         I slipped on the Prism pants and the effect was quick. As a test, I didn't pull the pants completely up to my waist, allowing them to "low ride" so I could slip my feet inside the pants while I slept. I really liked the effect in the night as my feet stayed comfortable all night.

        Comment: good idea, or you might consider some down booties...but then you could not test the pants in this manner.  Anyways, Since the low was 20 F I assume you were inside your sleeping bag as well. Might want to clarify if you were.

        PS: I am experimenting with going bagless using various wearable items of clothing even before the selk bag I'm now testing. will continue, especially in milder weather.  so much easier than getting in a mummy bag since I have none of those quilts designed for hammocks.

        I would like to thank Montane and BackpackGearTest.org for providing me with the opportunity to test this product.

        Edit?  I think the check back in approximately 2 months is required.  If not ignore.