IR - Seirus Dynamax Quick Combo - Theresa Lawrence

  • Theresa Lawrence
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 2, 2014
      Hi Mike, interesting piece, thanks in advance for the editing.

      Theresa

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/IR%20-%20Seirus%20Dynamax%20Quick%20Combo%20-%20Theresa%20Lawrence/

      SEIRUS DYNAMAX QUICK COMBO

      Test Series by Theresa Lawrence
      Initial
      Report- January 30, 2014

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer:  Seirus Innovation

      Manufacturer's
      Year of Manufacture:  2013

      Made in: USA
      MSRP:  $29.99 US
      Listed Weight:  n/a
      Measured Weight:  63 g (2.2 oz)
      Size: One size
      Color: Black

      DESCRIPTION & FIRST IMPRESSIONS

      The Seirus Dynamax Quick Combo is a unique balaclava that is essentially a
      beanie attached to a face mask attached to a neck warmer. Pretty nifty.
      The whole deal is fleece lined making it very soft to touch. The beanie
      and neck warmer are made out of the same stretchy lightweight and thin
      fabric consisting of 90% polyester and 10% spandex. The face mask is
      made up of 70% neoprene, 15% nylon and 15% polyester. DYNAMAX appears
      to be the name given to the wicking, wind-blocking fabric, also noted
      on the packaging as MICRO DENIER, DUAL DENSITY THERMAX.

      Of note, the face mask, at the mouth, has 40 little holes to breath
      through. I noticed that not all the holes were punched out of the
      fabric, some are still holding on. I will cut out the odd
      ones that didn't make the cookie cutter, as I'm pretty sure they were
      all meant to be unified holes for breathing. There's a lot of seams to
      connect everything together and all look pretty solid, though I have
      some reservations of the intersect between the beanie and the neck
      warmer at the ear. I  would call this part the hinge because this
      is the spot where, if I were to pull the face mask down to wear as just
      a neck warmer without covering my mouth and nose, the material would be
      pulled and stretched.

      TRYING IT OUT

      The packaging shows four options of how
      the Dynamax Quick Combo can be worn. The first option is to wear it
      just as a beanie, meaning the rest of it is inside the beanie. I found
      this tricky to make it lie flat and comfortable. The second was to
      wear the beanie and have the mask pulled down as just a neck warmer.
      This was easy to accommodate and comfortable. The third was just the
      face mask
      and neck warmer. The beanie was not worn, instead it was just
      hanging out at the back. The mask seemed to slide down my face a bit
      and I don't
      see the need since if my mouth and nose are going to be covered, I'm
      thinking the
      weather warrants my head and ears being covered too. The fourth was
      the full suited balaclava, which was definitely the most comfortable of
      all. It was very warm and cuddly feeling. I'm thinking this will be
      ideal for
      skiing, we shall see.

      I like the way the fleece feels on my face and I've tried the full
      faced effect with both my goggles and ski helmet. The beanie is thin
      enough to wear under my helmet and the ski goggles fit on top of the
      fabric. The shape of the fabric around the eyes and nose mimic my
      goggles, so the fit appears to be good. I just wonder weather or not
      my goggles will fog up. That is to be determined.

      When I first put the balaclava on my head I thought the beanie was way
      too big as my eyes were half covered. But, I found a way to wear it
      that will work, I just double the rim over and above my eyes. It becomes a
      little thicker at this point, but my helmet can still accommodate the
      width. And if I'm not wearing a helmet, then it really doesn't matter,
      unless it breathes less because of the double fabric. Since
      there is only one size to this item, I will have to make it work and report
      back.

      SUMMARY

      Overall,
      the Dynamax Quick Combo appears to be a convenient piece of gear to
      bring skiing. Especially on those windy, cold days, consistent with
      most ski hills. The fleece lining the face is very soft and
      comfortable, however I have some reservations about the size, that it
      may be too big for my small head. As well, if I'm pulling down the face
      mask often, I have some concerns how the hinge point at the ear(intersect between fabrics), will
      hold up. Other questions to be answered in the field
      test are will my goggles fog up? will I be able to breath through those
      tiny holes cut in the fabric? and will breathing cause the face mask to
      get cold, wet and uncomfortable? I am looking forward to the field test
      where I can test all of these things.

      Thanks to Seirus Innovations and BackpackGearTest.org for allowing me
      to take part in this test series, I look forward to taking this unique
      item into the field.
    • Mike Mosack
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 4, 2014
        Hi Theresa,
        This looks like it will be a good item to test this winter the way the temperatures have been in a lot of areas of the country.
        I see that you attempted to send this (via Cc...) to my personal email which is always much appreciated but there is a typo so it didn’t actually come through. The spelling of my name is mosack (with a “c”). I haven’t yet checked to verify if this is how it is listed but this change would get it to my inbox.

        Here are your edits in the usual format of
        EDIT – must change
        edit – my recommended change if you agree
        comment – is just that.

        “The whole deal is fleece lined making it very soft to touch.”

        Edit - The whole deal is fleece lined making it very soft to [the] touch.

        “Of note, the face mask, at the mouth, has 40 little holes to breath through.”

        EDIT – Unless this is a Canadian thing -  “breath” is a noun, rhyming with the word death, which is the air that you “breathe” (the verb rhyming with seethe. Please replace breath with breathe.

        “There's a lot of seams to connect everything together and…”

        Edit – “There are a lot of seams…’ I believe is the correct version.

        “I like the way the fleece feels on my face and I've tried the full faced effect with both my goggles and ski helmet.”

        Edit – I’d replace “full faced effect” with either [full-face effect] or [fully-faced effect].

        “I just wonder weather or not my goggles will fog up.”

        EDIT – [whether]

        “As well, if I'm pulling down the face mask often, I have some concerns how the hinge point at the ear(intersect between fabrics), will hold up.”

        EDIT – add a space between “ear” and “(“

        “will I be able to breath through those tiny holes cut in the fabric?

        EDITs – “Will” (capitalized since this is the beginning of the sentence) additionally replace “breath” with “breathe.”

        and will breathing cause the face mask to get cold, wet and uncomfortable?

        EDIT – Again the first word of the sentence needs to be capitalized.

        So that’s all I could find. I’ll look forward to seeing how this one goes for you. Go ahead and upload when you’re ready and delete the test copy. Thanks and see you in a couple months!

        Mike

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 7, 2014
          Thanks again, sorry about the typo in your email address, that was me, it's not posted that way.

          All edits done and uploaded see you in a couple.