FR - Oboz Bridger Boots - Jerry Adams

  • jerry adams
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 30, 2014

      <a name="FRPT">FIELD REPORT</a>

      FIELD LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      Nov 1, 2013 - 5 night car camp and 1 night backpack on John Day and Deschutes rivers in North central Oregon.  24 miles (39 km) of backpacking and 34 miles (55 km) of day hiking. 700 feet (200 m) elevation gain.  35 to 55 F (2 to 13 C).
      Nov 28, 2013 - 4 night car camp and 3 day backpack on Olympic Peninsula.  14 miles (23 km) backpacking and 24 miles (39 km) dayhiking. 1200 feet (400 m) elevation gain.  32 to 50 F (0 to 10 C).  Mostly dry, a little rain and wet brush.
      Dec  14, 2013 - 6 night backpack on Rogue River in Southern Oregon.  44 miles (71 km).  4500 feet (1400 m) elevation gain.  30 to 40 F (-1 to 4 C).
      Wearing the Oboz on the Rogue River:
      Jan 15, 2014 - 6 night backpack on Herman Creek in North central Oregon.  40 miles (64 km).  7000 feet (2100 m) elevation gain.  26 to 45 F (-3 to 7 C).

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      During the Field Report period I used the Oboz Bridger boots on four trips, 16 nights of backpacking, and 9 nights of car camping.  I hiked 180 miles (290 km) and 13400 feet (4100 m) of elevation gain (and loss).
      Most of my hiking was on standard trails with three feet (one meter) width and not a lot of elevation gain.  But, on all my trips, there were some places requiring scrambling up and down steep slopes, over boulders, with some muddy places.  It was mostly dry, but it rained some and there were muddy places left over from previous rains.  The Oboz boots handled it all well.
      My last trip had a lot of elevation gain (and loss) although it was fairly standard trails.  My feet were fairly comfortable but my right heel was a little sore on the steep uphill places.
      On two trips my heels got some minor blisters.  The toenails on my three smallest toes got sore and discolored on another trip.  These were fairly minor and didn't adversely effect my trips.
      One thing I noticed about the Oboz boots, is they weren't as breathable as other boots I've used.  At the end of the day, my socks were quite damp.  It didn't matter whether it was raining or not, so it had to be from sweat.  The main negative of this was my socks started smelling a bit after a few days.
      I didn't get a good test of water proofness.  Ordinarily, in the Pacific Northwest, this is not a problem - there is plenty of rain, wet brush, and melting snow.  But, this winter it has rained very little and there has been little snow at altitude.  I'm sure during the Long Term Test period I'll have better testing of this.
      Since it wasn't wet or snowy, I didn't really test how well the soles provided traction on slippery wet or snow.  For the limited testing I did do they were okay.

      SUMMARY

      I wore the Oboz Bridger boots for 16 nights of backpacking and 9 nights of car camping.   I hiked 180 miles (290 km) and 13400 feet (4100 m) of elevation gain.  During that time I was fairly satisfied.
      I like how lightweight the Oboz are.
      I didn't like that they weren't as breathable as other boots I've used - after a day of hiking my socks were unusually damp.
      I didn't like that my left toes got sore on one trip and my heels got sore and blistered on two trips.  With other boots in size 12 I have been more comfortable.  I suppose it's possible my feet have gotten a little bigger,.
      I didn't get a good chance to evaluate traction or waterproofness, but I will during the Long Term Test period.  I should also get a chance to test more off trail bouldering.
      Thanks to Oboz and BackpackGearTest.org for letting me test these.
      Look forward to my Long Term Test report in about two months.

    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 3, 2014

        Hi Jerry,

        Thanks for getting your FR in early.  I’m feeling a bit better now so here ya go.
        I only found a few things for you to fix.  When you are done go ahead and upload it.  My edits, suggestions and comments are marked with ## just below a snip of your words.

        Thanks.

        Jamie DeBenedetto

        Oboz Bridger Boots Monitor

        You - Nov 1, 2013 - 5 night car camp and 1 night backpack on John Day and Deschutes rivers in North central Oregon.

        AND - Jan 15, 2014 - 6 night backpack on Herman Creek in North central Oregon

        ##Edit – “North” needs to lower case or “central” needs to be capitalized

        You - 13400 feet

        ##Edit – I think this should have a comma. (in both places in the report please)  The other numbers up to the thousands aren’t too bad without the comma but once ya hit tens of thousands it’s gets a little weird.

        You - These were fairly minor and didn't adversely effect my trips.

        ##Edit – “affect”

        You - I didn't get a good test of water proofness.

        ##Edit – since waterproof is all one word I think waterproofness should be too.  Best to stay consistent even in the made up words ya know, otherwise the whole fabric of society might implode or something.

        You - I suppose it's possible my feet have gotten a little bigger,.

        ##Edit – extra punctuation at the end of this sentence

      • jerry adams
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 4, 2014
          Thanks for the edits

          edited, uploaded, deleted

          we don't want whole fabric of society to implode : )

          see you in two months