LTR - Deuter ACT Lite BP - Kathy Waters

  • Kathy Waters
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 29, 2014

      Hi! Below is the text for my LTR on this very fine pack! The HTML is in
      the test folder at: http://tinyurl.com/okqsjvo

      I appreciate all the work you've done on this test and look forward to your

      As in my Field Report phase, during this period of long-term testing, all of
      my hiking/snowshoeing experiences were day hikes plus one overnight which
      took place in south central Colorado. All day trips were 4 to 8 hour jaunts
      into the approximately 100,000 acres (40,468 hectares) of BLM land
      encompassing the Cooper Mountain range/Royal Gorge area near Canon City or
      the Wet Mountains south of the Arkansas River Valley.

      The Cooper Mountain range is mostly piƱon pine and juniper-covered high
      desert with rough primitive game and mining trails (for the most part) and
      is easily accessed just outside of my property fence line. So this was (and
      will be) most often chosen for my day hikes and quick overnights. My husband
      and I generally pack up, grab the GPS, pick a trail and go without any
      planned destination in mind.

      The Wet Mountains rise up from the Arkansas River Valley and are dense
      ponderosa pine and sage forests. One of my new favorite trails there is the
      Rainbow Trail in the Wet Mountains.

      Elevations I tested in ranged from 5000' up to 14000' ( 1524 m to 4268 m)
      and temperatures while hiking/snowshoeing over the past two months varied
      from 17 F to 68 F (-9 C to 38 C).

      Mineral Fork Trailhead

      Loaded up and ready to Go!

      I also had a great hike on the Mineral Fork Trail in Big Cottonwood Canyon
      in the Wasatch Mountains of Utah during the recent Outdoor Retailer Winter
      Market. This was a moderate 4.5 mile (7.3 km) hike with an elevation gain of
      3500 ft (1070 m) from 6700 ft - 10200 ft (2040 - 3100 m). It was a very
      chilly 27 F (15 C) though when in the sun, it felt much warmer.

      In my Field Report I addressed the comfort of the ACT Lite and during the
      last trials, I've found that I have continued to be extremely pleased with
      how well this pack "rides". Especially now that I'm wearing more clothing
      (shoulders and arms are covered), I barely notice the pack's proximity to my
      body. While, during the colder days, my pack is heavier (on one trip I
      actually weighed in at lb/), I haven't been bothered by undue pressure on my
      back. The hip belt takes the brunt of the needed support which is great!

      Even more so than during summer and mild weather, the amount of useable pack
      space becomes more important as I need to carry bulkier items to account for
      the changing/colder weather. The ACT Lite is no lightweight when it comes to
      giving me that space. For example, on a recent trip, I inventoried the
      contents of my pack and here is what I stuffed into the ACT:

      * 40 Degree Sleeping bag in its stuff sack
      * Fleece Sleeping bag liner in its stuff sack
      * Sleeping pad rolled up in its stuff sack
      * Camp stove
      * 2 fuel canisters
      * Aluminum pot kit
      * 2 Sporks/1 folding cook knife
      * 2 Pairs of spare socks, wind jacket, fleece, 2 sets of base layers change
      of underwear
      * 1 Pair of camp shoes
      * Headlamp and 4 spare batteries
      * 8 Food bars/4 gel packs/4 chewies packets/2 packets of oatmeal & 1
      freeze-dried MRE
      * 32 oz (0.95 l) water bottle in one outer pocket
      * 3 l (101 oz) water bladder
      * Tube of Sunscreen
      * Bear spray, small canister clicked to shoulder strap
      * 2 Sandwiches
      * Tea bags & sugar packets
      * 2 Tuna package lunches (the BumbleBee brand in the plastic kits)
      * Assorted other small stuff, like a whistle, small flashlight, small first
      aid kit
      * Compact binoculars and a small digital camera.

      I let Hubby John carry the tent! (Hey! I believe in chivalry - just trying
      to help!)

      The initial weight of the pack with all my stuff came in at 34 pounds (15.4
      kg) since I was carrying so much water. BUT that weight went down as I drank
      the water.

      1.) Lots of room for all my weeklong warm-weather and 3-4 day cold weather
      2.) Easy to pack up and to access the contents.
      3.) Rides nicely on my hips rather than dragging on my shoulders.
      4.) Allows for decent ventilation.

      1.) Sometimes, I have a bit of difficulty accessing my water bottles from
      the holsters

      I have really enjoyed using the Deuter ACT Lite backpack over these past
      months. It is easy to use and is one of the best-riding backpacks I've ever
      used. My previous backpack has now been retired to the "guest gear" shelf.
      I'm so pleased with this pack that I got one for my almost-13-year-old Boy
      Scout grandson. He likes it, too!

      Thank you to BackpackGearTest.org and Deuter for the opportunity to try out
      this very versatile pack.

      Kathleen (Kathy) Waters

      Boy Scout with New ACT Lite!
    • bigdawgryan
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 6, 2014

        Nice report and test series.  A minor issue to address and then you are good to post your report in the appropriate folder.  Please remember to delete your HTML file from the TESTS folder.

        Edit: <BumbleBee> - should be "Bumble Bee" -- please correct

        See you on the next one.