FR - MK Rendezvous - Coy Boy

  • starnescr
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 21, 2014
      Hello Jamie, I piddled around and let this due date slip up on me.  My own fault, I got the notice from  Bridget (Kathy) last week. Anyways, I cranked this out tonight but have not had a lot of time to proofread.  Hope I covered everything but as always, all edits and or comments welcome.  Enjoy

      test folder copy here
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/FR%20-%20MK%20Rendezvous%20-%20Coy%20Boy/

      Field Test: January 21, 2014

      Pic of shirt while hiking

      Testing Locations and Conditions
      All testing took place near my home in North East Alabama. This has been one of the coldest winters on record in our area.  However, being this far south has meant a good mixture of cold and not so cold weather.  The coldest testing of the Rendezvous was on a cold morning when the low was 2 F (-17 C) but I waited until it warmed up to 5 F (-15 C) before heading outside for a short one hour day hike on a local trail.  I'm not sure what the warmest temperature I encountered was, but, I went on several day hikes when temperatures were below freezing as well as other times when it was near 60 F (16 C).   I went on two overnight hikes.  The low on the coldest overnight was 26 F (3 C).  The low on the other overnight hike was 41 F (5 C).  I experienced sun, rain, sleet and a little snow while wearing the shirt.  However, most of the time it was just cloudy, cold and windy.  I also wore it while cutting firewood, hunting and just a little while riding my recumbent.

      Field Test Results
      I have enjoyed wearing the Mountain Khakis Qtr Zip Rendezvous. It has proven to be a very versatile item of clothing.  The first time I wore it backpacking I wore it while hiking and then as part of my sleep gear since the temperature well below the 43 F (6 C) comfort rating of my bag.  I had a cotton/poly blend tee shirt on as my base layer and wore this while hiking.  At my campsite I wore a light rain jacket over this and got rather chilly before turning in for the night.  It dropped to 26 F (3 C) but I managed to stay relatively warm by wearing all I had with me.  Well, except for my feet, my socks were damp from hiking and I should have taken a dry and thick spare pair, maybe even two.

      I wore the Rendezvous while deer and squirrel hunting. I got sleeted on once while deer hunting.  On one squirrel hunt I hiked about 5 miles (8 km) total and worked up a good sweat.  I had on a pretty thick camo jacket over the Rendezvous and a long sleeve medium weight base layer under it.  I had placed my cell phone in the zippered pocket of the shirt. It was about 30 F (-1 C) when the hunt started but had warmed to around 40 F (4 C) by the end of the hunt.  There was quite a bit of climbing involved and I failed to take my jacket off.  As a result I worked up a pretty good sweat.  My phone was in an Otter Box Defender case but the front had a slight crack in the plastic and apparently I was producing a lot of steam...The phone screen was so damp I could barely read it.  I took the case off i and wiped it dry immediately to avoid possibly damaging it.  I say this to say that the Rendezvous was very comfortable even though I was sweating profusely.  After getting home and letting the shirt dry it really did not smell all that bad (too me anyways)  It took it a few hours to dry while I was wearing it but after this I decided to go ahead and wash it.  I used the delicate cycle on my washing machine and then hung it over the deck to dry.  It dried in the afternoon sun in just a couple of hours and looked about as good as new.  I was pleased to see it did not shrink.

      On the other overnight trip I wore the Rendezvous as my only top layer.  Of course it was only 55 F (13 C) when hiking to my campsite and had only dropped to 50 F (10 C) by the time I turned in around 9 PM.  I slept for the first half of the night with my bag pretty open but did zip up from 3 AM until I got up at 5:30 AM. By now it had dropped down to 41 F (5 C)  My hammock was actually a little damp from the hip area up to where my shoulders were positioned so I left the hammock hanging and hiked home wearing a light down jacket over the Rendezvous.  My pack only had my sleeping bag, light, water and a few other items.  I wore the Rendezvous under my down jacket on the hike home and then back and forth once more to pack my now dry hammock.  I made it home the last time just before it started snowing. My biggest concern was that wearing the Rendezvous by itself might prove to be itchy but it turned out to be very comfortable. No, not as comfortable as a good old cotton tee, but close enough that it was not a problem.

      My results while wearing it on day hikes was also positive.  It kept me pretty warm just wearing it over a thin base layer unless it was either really cold, windy or a combination of both.  I would sometimes wear a light rain jacket or a light down jacket over it as needed but often ended up packing those away when I warmed up.  Here I am down in the holler on a chilly morning after a few days of sub-freezing weather.  It was about 35 F (2 C) when this photo was taken.

      pic of shirt on a day hike

      This concludes my Field Report.  Please stay tuned for the Long Term Report which should follow in a few months from now.  I would like to thank Mountain Khakis and BackpackGearTest.org for this testing opportunity.
    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 23, 2014

        Hi Coy,

        No worries about the hurried write-up.  You’re HTML version looks good.  My son thought the pic of you next to the frozen water was, and I quote, “sick!” He thought you photoshopped that in, but I explained that, no, it was that cold there.  Hahaha!
        Found a few things for you to fix and I have one Comment for you to consider.  When you are done go ahead and upload.  My edits, suggestions and comments are marked with ## just below a snip of your words.

        Thanks.

        Jamie DeBenedetto

        MK Rendezvous Monitor

        You - This concludes my Initial Report.  Please stay tuned for the Field Report which should follow in about a months time.  I would like to thank Mountain Khakis and BackpackGearTest.org for this testing opportunity.

        ##Edit – please remove this part from the bottom of your IR.

        You - However, most of the time it was just cloudy, cold and windy.

        ##Edit – this is a fragmented sentence, it should be connected to the sentence prior.

        You - The first time I wore it backpacking I wore it while hiking and then as part of my sleep gear since the temperature well below the 43 F (6 C) comfort rating of my bag.

        ##Edit – missing a word between “temperature” and “well”

        You - I had a cotton/poly blend tee shirt on as my base layer and wore this while hiking.

        ##Suggestion – Remove the “and wore this while hiking while hiking” part because you already stated as much in the previous sentence.

        You - On one squirrel hunt I hiked about 5 miles (8 km) total and worked up a good sweat.

        ##Suggestion – Remove the “and worked up a good sweat” part because you state this later in the paragraph and it fits better there.

        You -   I took the case off i and wiped it dry immediately to avoid possibly damaging it.

        ##Suggestion/Edit – this sentence doesn’t seem relevant to the report, consider removing it.  If you choose to keep it in the “i” after “off” needs to be removed

        You - After getting home and letting the shirt dry it really did not smell all that bad (too me anyways)

        ##Edit – missing a period

        ##Comment – You didn’t mention how the thumb holes were working out for you.  If I recall you thought they were not properly lined up in your IR.

      • starnescr
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 24, 2014
          Thanks, Jamie, all taken care of.  You were also correct in that I forgot to mention the thumb holes.  I added a bit at the end and hopefully did not let any mistakes creep in.  I renowned the sentences you suggested as well.  see you for the LTR.

          Thanks,
          Coy Boy
        • chcoa
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 24, 2014
            Great Coy.  Everything looks good to me. Thank you.

            Jamie D