FR Mountain Khakis Rendezvous-Frances Penn

  • oldhikergirl
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 15, 2014

      http://tinyurl.com/n8ok39l

      MOUNTAIN KHAKIS RENDEVOUZ
      TEST SERIES BY FRANCES PENN
      FR
      January 21, 2014

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Frances Penn
      EMAIL: oldhikergirl AT yahoo DOT com
      AGE: 57
      LOCATION: Santa Ana, California
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
      WEIGHT: 130 lb (59.00 kg)

      I have been backpacking for six years mostly on long weekends in Southern California with two or more 5-day trips per year in the Sierras. My total daypack weight, including food and water, is usually 15 lb (7 kg) and my total backpack weight, including food and water, is usually 26-30 lb (12-14 kg) depending on the need for a bear canister.  I have recently converted to a tarp, bivy and quilt sleeping system instead of a tent. I have experienced all night rain, hail, heavy winds, camping in snow once, but mostly fair weather.

      FIELD REPORT

      FIELD LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      Trip #1:
      Location:  San Jacinto State Park, California USA
      Elevation:  10,860 ft  (3,310 M)
      Trip Duration:  2 days, 1 night
      Trail Conditions:  dirt forest trail with some rocky portions with small snow patches
      Temperatures:  35 to 60 F (1 to 33 C)
      Weather:  mostly sunny days with heavy wind during the night
      Hours wearing shirt:  30

      Trip #2:
      Location:  Indian Cove area of Joshua Tree National Park, California USA
      Elevation:  3,200 ft (975 M)
      Trip Duration:  3 days, 2 nights
      Trail Conditions:  sandy desert off trail with lots of desert cactus to avoid
      Temperatures:  35 to 60 F (1 to 33 C)
      Weather:  mostly sunny with light winds during the day and heavier winds at night
      Hours wearing shirt:  35

      Trip #3:
      Location:  Big Bear area, California USA
      Elevation:  7,000 ft (2,100 M)
      Trip Duration:  2 days, 1 night
      Trail Conditions:   dirt forest trail with some rocky portions
      Temperatures:  35 to 60 F (1 to 33 C)
      Weather:  mostly sunny days and a cool night
      Hours wearing shirt:  25

      Trip #4
      Location:  Baldy area, California USA
      Elevation:  7,800 ft (2,400 M)
      Trip Duration:  1 day hike
      Trail Conditions:   dirt forest trail with some snow and ice portions
      Temperatures:  35 to 60 F (1 to 33 C)
      Weather:  mostly sunny days with mild wind and a cool night
      Hours wearing shirt:  8

      Trip #5:
      Location:  Warren Point area of Joshua Tree National Park, California USA
      Elevation:  5,200 ft (1,585 M)
      Trip Duration:  2 days, 1 night
      Trail Conditions:  sandy desert off trail with lots of desert cactus to avoid
      Temperatures:  30 to 45 F (-1 to 7 C)
      Weather:  mostly sunny with light winds during the day and heavier winds at night
      Hours wearing shirt:  24

      Trip #6:
      Location:  Big Bear area, California USA
      Elevation:  7,000 ft (2,100 M)
      Trip Duration:  2 days, 1 night
      Trail Conditions:   dirt forest trail with some snow and ice portions
      Temperatures:  35 to 50 F (1 to 10 C)
      Weather:  mostly sunny days and a cool night
      Hours wearing shirt:  30

      Trip #7:
      Location:  Indian Cove area of Joshua Tree National Park, California USA
      Elevation:  3,200 ft (975 M)
      Trip Duration:  3 days, 2 nights
      Trail Conditions:  sandy desert off trail with lots of desert cactus to avoid
      Temperatures:  35 to 60 F (1 to 33 C)
      Weather:  mostly sunny with light winds during the day and heavier winds at night
      Hours wearing shirt:  30

      Trip #8:
      Location:  Warren Point area of Joshua Tree National Park, California USA
      Elevation:  5,200 ft (1,585 M)
      Trip Duration:  3 days, 2 nights
      Trail Conditions:  sandy desert off trail with lots of desert cactus to avoid
      Temperatures:  40 to 70 F (4 to 21 C)
      Weather:  unseasonably warm and sunny with light winds during the day
      Hours wearing shirt:  8

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1"  IMAGE CAPTION = "top of Palm Springs tram">>

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      On the very first trip to the San Jacinto area, I put on the Rendezvous when we arrived at the tram station and didn't remove it until we finished the trip and were back at the car.  The combination of the wicking of the Rendevouz and the base layer I was wearing kept me warm and dry for the entire trip.  My normal pattern is to change out of the clothes I wear during the day into a thermal base layer and a fleece layer for sleeping, with an extra down layer for sitting around in camp prior to going to bed.  At the end of the day when we arrived back in camp, I started to prepare for the clothing change when I realized that I was already warm and comfortable and that I didn't need to change.  I may not need to carry an extra thermal top on future trips which is a welcome weight savings.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2"  IMAGE CAPTION = "top of San Jacinto peak">>

      The like the ability to leave the Rendezvous on for an entire weekend trip.  The Rendezvous is not easy to remove and then put back on and get the sleeves and thumb holes in just the right place.  This is because I selected a small size to allow for layering.  I wanted a close fit and I definitely accomplished that goal.  Once I have it on, the Rendezvous moves with me so well that I forget I am wearing it.  I don't have to wear my sunscreen gloves because the extra material at the end of the sleeves adjacent to the thumb holes creates a cover to protect the backs of my hands from the sun.

      I wore the Rendezvous most of the time on my trips.  I would usually put it on to begin the trip, wear it all day and night, and quite often it was not removed until I returned home.  There were a few times when the weather turned warm and sunny during the day and I removed the Rendezvous.  Within a few hours, I would be putting the Rendezvous back on.  My estimate of a total of 190 hours wearing the shirt on my trips does not include an additional five dor more ays of wearing the Rendezvous around town to go shopping, run errands, and meet friends for lunch or dinner.  The Rendezvous is so nice looking that it works nicely with a pair of jeans for comfortable activities.

      There is no mention of wind resistance on the Rendezvous hangtags or the website.  Since wind to some degree was encountered on most of my trips, I will comment on the performance of the Rendezvous in windy conditions.  While it doesn't completely block the wind, I am kept warm and dry and don't notice the wind as much as I have in the past wearing my fleece tops.  If the weather became too cool and the wind too strong, I would usually add my lightweight synthetic jacket over the Rendezvous to help block the wind.  Due to the close fit of the Rendezvous, this extra layer was easily added without feeling bulky.

      I have washed the Rendezvous twice in cold water with minimal detergent.  I hung it to dry to prevent shrinking.  I haven't noticed any shrinkage due to washing.  If I don't sweat much on a trip with cooler temperatures, when I get home I hang the shirt and spray it with water and let it air dry to freshen it and remove the wrinkles.  So far, the Rendezvous does not have any odor.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3"  IMAGE CAPTION = "day hike to Baldy">>

      SUMMARY

      Overall, I really like the versatility of the Rendezvous.  I now have many fleece tops that are not being worn because I select the Rendezvous as my first choice.  I am now a convert to Merino wool garments.  I was reluctant in the past to purchase wool, but this top has changed that mindset.

      Things I Like:
      comfortable tailored fit
      flatlock seams for easy layering
      sleeve length is long enough for my thumb holes to fit
      zipper is long enough to allow for many venting options
      soft fleece inside
      collar is tall enough to cover my neck from the sun when zipped closed
      collar lays flat when fully unzipped
      efficient wicking of perspiration
      it keeps me as warm as I prefer in any most conditions
      I prefer the collar to be zipped down about an inch so the top of the zipper doesn't touch the bottom of my chin

      Things I Don't Like:
      Not a fan of the colors available.  I would have preferred a basic blue or red color.
      Due to the tight fit, it is a little bit of a project to put on and remove and get the sleeves and thumb holes in just the right place.

      Please check back in two months for my Long Term Report.  Thank you to Mountain Khakis and BackpackGearTest.org for this testing opportunity.

      Copyright 2014.  All rights reserved.

    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 20, 2014

        Hi Fran,

        Wow!  It certainly looks like you are getting your money’s worth out of this one.  That’s excellent.  Your pics and the HTML version look fine.  Just found a few things in the body for you fix.  When you are done go ahead and get it uploaded.  My edits, suggestions and comments are marked with ## just below a snip of your words.

        Thanks.

        Jamie DeBenedetto

        MK Rendezvous Monitor

        You - The combination of the wicking of the Rendevouz and the base layer I was wearing kept me warm and dry for the entire trip.

        ## Edit – “Rendezvous”

        You - The like the ability to leave the Rendezvous on for an entire weekend trip.

        ##Edit – “The like the” doesn’t make sense

        You - My estimate of a total of 190 hours wearing the shirt on my trips does not include an additional five dor more ays of wearing the Rendezvous around town to go shopping, run errands, and meet friends for lunch or dinner.

        ##Edit – “five or more days” I assume you meant

        In Things you Like:
        You -  sleeve length is long enough for my thumb holes to fit

        ##Edit – Please reword.  This sounds like you are saying you have thumb holes instead of the shirt having them

        You - it keeps me as warm as I prefer in any most conditions

        ##Edit – “any” needs to be removed

        You - I prefer the collar to be zipped down about an inch so the top of the zipper doesn't touch the bottom of my chin

        ##Edit – this sentence doesn’t really make sense in the “Things I like” section

      • oldhikergirl
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 22, 2014

          I just reposted my FR to correct the spelling  of the Rendezvous in the title. Otherwise, I made no changes.