IR - Smartwool PhD Socks - Mark Thompson

  • Mark Thompson
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 12, 2013
      Richard and all,
      Please find my initial report below and at:  http://tinyurl.com/kttv2od
      I await your edits!
      Climb On!
      Mark

      SMARTWOOL PHD SOCKS
      TEST SERIES BY MARK THOMPSON
      IR
      December 12, 2013

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Mark Thompson
      EMAIL: markthompson 242 at gmail dot com
      AGE: 49
      LOCATION: Parker, Colorado, USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 6' 0" (2.10 m)
      WEIGHT: 170 lb (77.10 kg)

      Outdoor adventures started for me at an early age, my passions have grown to include backpacking, rock climbing, hiking, hunting, fishing, canoeing, cycling, skiing and snowshoeing.  Most of my adventures presently take place in Colorado's amazing Rocky Mountains.  For trail hikes, my pack typically weighs 15 lbs/7 kg (summer/fall), 25 lbs/11 kg (winter/spring) and trail speed ranges from 2.5 - 4 mph (4 - 6 km/h) depending on elevation gain.  For backpack trips, my pack weighs 40 - 45 lbs (18 - 20 kg) and my trail speed drops to 1.5 - 3.0 mph (2 - 5 km/h).

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer:  Smartwool
      Year of Manufacture:  2013
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.smartwool.com">>
      MSRP: US $25.00
      Listed Weight: not listed
      Measured Weight: 3.4 oz ( 96g) (pair - sz large)

      Other details:
      Size tested:  Large
      Colors available:  Black, Chesnut
      Color tested:  Chesnut
      Materials:
      - 86% Merino Wool
      - 12% Nylon
      - 2% Elastane

      Photo courtesy of Smartwool

      This new product from Smartwool incorporates their "ReliaWool Technology" and their "4-Degree Elite Fit System"

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      Smartwool's new PhD Outdoor Heavy Crew sock appears to be a well made, high quality product that boasts of some cool technologies that should make this a top performing product.  When I first tried on the socks, I found them to be very comfortable with an outstanding fit.  The 4Degree Elite fit system seems to be "spot on."  The ReliaWool sections of the sock are accsentuated and cover the heal cup and toe box areas.  I, like many, have experienced socks that either wear out in the heal and/or toe box while the remainder of the sock retains much of its original loft.  I am quite hopeful that the ReliaWool technology will provide a higher level of durability.

      Image courtesy of Smartwool

      Using Smartwool's sizing chart, I selected the "large" based upon my US Men 11 shoe size.  Based upon the initial fit, this seems to be accurate.

      I did notice, however, that these socks are not as thick as some of Smartwool's other "heavy crew" wool socks.  I am curious to see how well these perform in terms of insulation during our colder winter climate.

      SUMMARY

      My initial reaction is that this could be an awesome product.  The sock was very comfortable without being too tight and seemed to provide a great level of support.  I look forward to seeing how Smartwool's new technologies perform in the field.

      Thank you to Smartwool and BackpackGearTest.org for making this test series possible.

      Copyright 2013.  All rights reserved.
    • Kathy Waters
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 12, 2013

        Mark,

        I don’t should an Arrival notice for you on these socks.  Can you point me to the correct message/date?  It confuses the db if I don’t have that information.

        Thanks,

        Kathy

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 16, 2013
          Thank you for the editing efforts, Richard!
          Corrections made, admin complete, see you in 2.
          Best,
          Mark