IR: SmartWool PhD Heavy Crew socks- Nancy Griffith

  • Nancy Griffith
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 8, 2013
      Hi Richard,

      Here's my IR for the socks.  Geez, -20 is cold...not sure I'd be up for snowshoeing in that weather.  Fortunately for us the 'cold' snap just means that we're below freezing so our snow at home didn't melt in a few hours like it usually does.  Great snowshoeing day just up the mountain from us.

      Thanks in advance for checking out my IR and providing edits.

      Nancy

      SMARTWOOL PHD OUTDOOR HEAVY CREW SOCKS
      TEST SERIES BY NANCY GRIFFITH
      IR
      December 08, 2013

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Nancy Griffith
      EMAIL: bkpkrgirlATyahooDOTcom
      AGE: 47
      LOCATION: Northern California, USA
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 6" (1.68 m)
      WEIGHT: 130 lb (59.00 kg)

      My outdoor experience began in high school with a canoeing/camping group which made a 10-day voyage through the Quebec wilds.  I've been backpacking since my college days in Pennsylvania.  I have hiked all of the Appalachian Trail in Georgia, Tennessee and North Carolina.  My typical trip now is in the Sierra Nevada in California and is from a few days to a few weeks long.  Over the past few years I have lowered my pack weight to a light-weight base weight of 15 lb (6.8 kg) and use a tent, stove and quilt.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "PhD Outdoor"  IMAGE CAPTION = "Photo courtesy of SmartWool">>Manufacturer: SmartWool
      Year of Manufacture: 2013
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.smartwool.com/" LINK TEXT = "http://www.smartwool.com/">>
      MSRP: $25 US
      Listed Weight: Not listed
      Measured Weight: 3 oz (85 g)
      Size Tested: M (fits Women's 7 - 9.5)
      Other Sizes: S, L, XL
      Color Tested: Black
      Other Colors: Brown
      Made in the USA of imported yarn

      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

      The SmartWool PhD Outdoor Heavy Crew socks are a unisex pair of crew-height hiking socks.  The packaging lists the knit as 78% wool, 20% nylon and 2% elastane.  However, the website lists them instead as 86% wool, 12% nylon and 2% elastane.  The socks feature a fit system that stretches and recovers for holding the sock in place using bands of elastic in four key places: ankle, upper instep, lower instep and arch.
      The ball and heel of the sock are thick and use a technology to provide a more durable construction for these high-wear areas.  Lastly there are three mesh venting zones on the top and sides of the foot for ventilation and moisture management.  These are seen in the lighter colored dots.  Above the ankle the sock is thick and feels warm like a ski sock with a wide elastic band at the top.

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS & TRYING THEM OUT

      My initial impression of the sock was pretty much as I expected after looking at them on the website.  I was happy to see a nice winter sock but also one that looks reasonable for outdoor activity, i.e. not too warm or unwieldy.  The thick cushion seems to be in just the right places for warmth and wear with other places like the top of the foot being thinner and more like an athletic sock.
      I tried them on and was happy with the fit.  They feel really comfortable and warm.  The crew height seems just right to extend above the tops of my snow boots.  I can't wait to get out in the snow with them.

      READING THE INSTRUCTIONS

      Care instructions include washing in warm water and tumbling dry on low.  It is recommended to turn the socks inside-out for washing.

      SUMMARY

      The SmartWool PhD Outdoor Heavy crew socks are a nice combination of a heavy ski sock combined with an athletic design.
      Initial Likes:
      Athletic fit
      Cushion
      Initial Dislikes:
      Nothing
      This concludes my Initial Report.  Please check back in a couple of months for my Long-Term report.  Thanks to SmartWool and BackpackGearTest.org for allowing me to participate in this test.

      Copyright 2013.  All rights reserved.