Fw: IR - Gerber Outrigger Knife - Mark Thompson

  • Mark Thompson
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 22, 2013

      From: Mark Thompson <markthompson242@...>
      To: Mike Pearl <mikepearl36@...>
      Sent: Monday, November 18, 2013 7:22 PM
      Subject: Fw: IR - Gerber Outrigger Knife - Mark Thompson

      From: Mark Thompson <markthompson242@...>
      To: "backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com" <backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Sunday, October 6, 2013 9:22 PM
      Subject: IR - Gerber Outrigger Knife - Mark Thompson

      Climb On!
      Mark

      GERBER OUTRIGGER KNIFE
      TEST SERIES BY MARK THOMPSON
      IR
      October 06, 2013

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Mark Thompson
      EMAIL: markthompson 242 at gmail dot com
      AGE: 49
      LOCATION: Parker, Colorado, USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 6' 0" (2.10 m)
      WEIGHT: 170 lb (77.10 kg)

      Outdoor adventures started for me at an early age, my passions have grown to include backpacking, rock climbing, hiking, hunting, fishing, canoeing, cycling, skiing and snowshoeing.  Most of my adventures presently take place in Colorado's amazing Rocky Mountains.  For trail hikes, my pack typically weighs 15 lbs/7 kg (summer/fall), 25 lbs/11 kg (winter/spring) and trail speed ranges from 2.5 - 4 mph (4 - 6 km/h) depending on elevation gain.  For backpack trips, my pack weighs 40 - 45 lbs (18 - 20 kg) and my trail speed drops to 1.5 - 3.0 mph (2 - 5 km/h).

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer:  Gerber
      Year of Manufacture:  2013
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.gerbergear.com">>
      MSRP: US$ 49.00
      Listed Weight: 1.9 oz (54 g)
      Measured Weight: 1.9 oz (54 g)
      Other details:

      Overall Length:  7.0" (178 mm)
      Blade Length:  3.0"  (76 mm)
      Closed Length:  4.0"  (102 mm)

      Blade Material:  7Cr17 Steel
      Handle Material:  Aluminum with "SoftGrip" Overmold

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      Initial Impressions:
      Gerber's website claims that they have blended elements of their three most popular clip folding knives over the past 10 years into this one product.  I can only take them at their word, but I have to say, this looks like an awesome piece with fantastic features, specifically:
      -    Light weight:  Honestly, I was shocked at how light it was when I first pulled it out of the package.  I actually went and picked up a very similar knife from my personal collection just to make sure I wasn't dreaming.  Sure enough, this knife is almost 30% lighter.
      -    Locking/Unlocking mechanism:  so many of my other knives have a locking mechanism, but to release the blade for folding it seems that I am always having to put my fingers into the blade path.  With Gerber's reputation for extremely sharp blades, I certainly want to keep my fingers out of the blade path!  The Outrigger is fitted with a side "Plunge Lock" release mechanism making it not only easy to release the blade, but keeping fingers nicely outside of the blades path.
      -    Comfort:  So many products eliminate the ergonomic features that make a product comfortable to use in an effort to reduce weight.  Not so with the Outrigger!  The handle is nicely fitted with their "SoftGrip" material making it easy on the hands!
      -    Sharp:  Of course, it's a Gerber!
      -    Assisted Opening:  The blade is designed with what appears to be a lobe, much like a camshaft on an automobile engine, that keeps the blade firmly closed, but then assists with opening.
      -    Pocket Clip and Lanyard Point:  I was quite pleased to find that the Outrigger was fitted with a lanyard attachment point as well as a pocket clip.  So many knives have just one or the other.  For backpacking, hiking and especially rock climbing, I like to clip my knife to the shoulder strap of my pack and have an elastic lanyard that secures the knife to my pack.  Dropping a knife on your belayer is bad all the way around!

      SUMMARY

      This is a great looking product!  If it meets with Gerber's superb reputation, it will undoubtedly be great!

      A special thank you to Gerber and BackpackGearTest. org for making this test possible.

      Copyright 2013.  All rights reserved.

    • Mike Pearl
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 22, 2013
        Mark,

        Sorry about that I remember doing it.  Most have missed actually sending it.
        Report looks good just one thing then all set for two months.  Hopefully things will be back in order on my end!

        Best,
        Mike

        ***Other details:***

        EDIT:  details are missing,  add details or delete "Other details:"

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 24, 2013
          Thanks Mike!
          All set, admin complete, edits made, IR uploaded.
          See you in 2