LTR - Gerber Bear Grylls Intense Torch - Lyon

  • richardglyon@att.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 5, 2013
      Jamie - Plain text of LTR below; HTML version of complete report is here: https://tinyurl.com/mbogauj

      Cheers, Richard
      LONG TERM REPORT - November 5, 2013

      FIELD CONDITIONS

      The Torch's first trip into the backcountry was a one-week service trip in the Scapegoat Wilderness, Montana, in early July. As is customary on these trips, the United States Forest Service (USFS) packed in our group's food and community gear, but I and each of the other seven volunteers hiked in to our base camp with personal equipment and clothing. I packed the Torch in a hipbelt pocket on my pack; after arriving in camp I moved it to a mesh pocket in my tent during the day and after retiring to the tent for the night. Our hike to camp was about 13 miles (20 km) along the Smith Creek and Telephone Creek trails, through Welcome Pass, with about 1000 feet (300 m) of net elevation gain, to our campsite at the junction of Telephone and Cave Creeks, elevation roughly 6000 feet (1800 m). We had clear weather the entire week, with temperatures reaching 85 F (30 C) on a few afternoons and dropping down to 40-45 F (4-7 C) at night. Despite the lack of precipitation there was ample damp - heavy dew very early in the morning.

      Additional backpacking uses occurred on overnight trips in Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming, in early August and mid-September and in the Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness, Montana, in late August. No precipitation on any trip, with temperatures from 40-80 F (4-25 C) in the Park and slightly cooler in the Absarokas. I used the same packing arrangements on the trail and in camp as in the Scapegoat.

      Since the days have shortened, certainly since mid-September, thanks to a broken headlamp I've pressed the Torch into service whenever I walk my dog in the dark. That's at least once daily, for a brief stroll just before bedtime, and on recent late Daylight Savings Time days usually also on a 30-45 minute walk first thing in the morning. (Now that the U S is back on standard time, until spring these walks in the dark will now take place in early evening.) We take these walks on my driveway (gravel), my street (gravel), in the woods behind my house (mostly forest duff or dirt game trails), and grassy slopes. Temperatures have varied from 18-70 F (-8 to 21 C), in dry conditions, light rain, snow, and sleet. On these jaunts I start out with the Torch in my trouser pocket, as I have the porch light for illumination and my hands full with a large canine who's anxious to get going. After a few minutes I'll take out the Torch and carry it in my hand, holding the body or the lanyard in my palm. I turn it on when needed, usually most of the walk unless the moon is bright enough to make that unnecessary. (There is very little electric illumination in my neighborhood at 6 am.)

      Over the summer I've also carried the Torch in my pack (hipbelt pocket) on a few day hikes that might end in dusk or darkness, just in case, but I've not had to use it.

      OBSERVATIONS

      The obvious performance plus of this flashlight hasn't changed since I first tried it out - this is a very bright flashlight on the High setting, much brighter than given by any other pocket flashlight I've ever used, or headlamp either for that matter. It's bright enough so that when it's snowing I have something of a "high beam" effect, with the stream of light so bright that I have to point it toward the ground to be able to see where I'm going. As with high beams on an automobile, pointing it directly ahead in the snow blocks rather than aids vision - all I can see are falling snowflakes.

      This "intense" feature of the Torch is in my opinion no bad thing. When I am hiking or in camp too much light is nearly always preferable to too little. On the Scapegoat backpack it was particularly useful as our campsite lay in a very large meadow. The brighter the flashlight beam the easier it was to see trees, the creek bank, or the latrine at night. Perhaps because I like the High setting I haven't fiddled much with the other two, so I really haven't practiced the finicky adjustment mechanism sufficiently to report with any confidence that practice makes perfect. I can say that in a bit of home experimentation things have gone more smoothly.

      One evening when walking the dog the blicking light came on without any action from me, followed about fifteen seconds later by the beam's going off entirely. I tried to re-light it and got the blinker followed in short order by another extinguishing. Apparently the blinking is a warning to the owner that the batteries are dying (or almost dead), as a fresh pair fixed things forthwith. This occurred after an estimated ten hours of use, as noted almost always on High. Ten hours is almost seven times the ninety minutes' stated capacity in Gerber's product material. I re-checked the data that came with the Torch after I got back home that night and found nothing about this warning feature.

      The only operational glitch happened a couple of nights after replacing the batteries. Suddenly the Torch turned off without my hitting the switch. I quickly restored light by turning the handle about a millimeter in a counterclockwise direction (the direction I'd use to unscrew the body). Apparently I had overtightened the connection after adding the new batteries. This issue hasn't recurred, though I'm certain I haven't been perfect in keeping the two pieces in one place, as they don't lock together. I therefore place full blame upon operator error.

      Lack of user instructions, about the burn-out warning and the means of beam adjustment, is my only complaint about the Torch. Performance has been great, and the design features I praised in my Initial Report have proven useful in the field and at home. The orange color really helps in locating the Torch, particularly in a tent at early dawn, and the triangular shape does indeed keep the Torch where I placed it without rolling away. Maybe the flashlight body has collected a nick or two but in general it looks as good as new. While I continue to hope never to have to rely on it for survival (especially mine), I plan to use the Bear Grylls Intense Torch regularly for years to come. I like it enough to be considering its companion product, the Bear Grylls Hands-Free Torch, to replace the broken headlamp.

      ACKNOWLEDGMENT

      My Test Report ends here, with thanks to Gerber Gear and BackpackGearTest.org for the testing opportunity.
    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 10, 2013

        Hi Richard,

        Thank you for being patient.  My evenings and weekends seem to be extra busy these last couple of weeks.  HTML version looks good.  Sorry to report I only found a couple of things.  When these are done go ahead and upload.  My edits, suggestions and comments are marked with ## just below a snip of your words.

        Thanks.

        Jamie DeBenedetto

        You - One evening when walking the dog the blicking light came on without any action from me, followed about fifteen seconds later by the beam's going off entirely.

        ##Edit – “blinking”

        You - Apparently I had overtightened the connection after adding the new batteries.

        ##Edit – over tightened

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 10, 2013
          Thanks Jamie - all fixed, uploaded, and Tests folder copy deleted.

          Richard