FR - Bushnell - BackTrack D-TOUR - Derek Hansen

  • Derek Hansen
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 30, 2013
      Mike,

      Here is my field report, just an hour late -- AAAH!

      > http://bit.ly/19RpV1y

      I'm sorry I wasn't able to get more field testing in. I had two big trips, including a permit-paid Paria Canyon trip that was canceled due to the trail being closed (flash flooding). I still got a good sampling in and I have enough trips scheduled to get enough usage before the test series is up.

      Best,

      ~derek

      # # #

      FIELD REPORT

      FIELD LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      Unfortunately, I've had a few of my backpacking trips canceled in the past few months so the majority of my testing has been day hiking and bicycle riding. And, regrettably, on one backpacking trip I completely forgot the BackTrack, which has become a recurring theme, I'm afraid.

      Aug 17: Old Caves Crater, Flagstaff, AZ. Elevation was 7,030 ft (2,143 m) with a temperature of 66*F (19*C). I did about two miles (3 km) of day hiking.

      Aug 23-24: Marshall Lake, Arizona. This was an overnight camp with the scouts with minimal hiking. Temperature in the evening was 55*F (13*C).

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      Usability - I'll be honest: The novelty of the BackTrack has been wearing off on me the more I use it in the backcountry. I think the primary reason for this is it's limited usefulness combined with carrying "yet another" digital device. As I mentioned in my initial review, the software functionality is really limited compared with what I can get on my mobile phone, for example. I hate to say it, but I've actually forgotten to take the BackTrack on a few trips, which is nearly inexcusable for a gear tester, but I think speaks volumes for how much attention this device demands in my mind (very little).

      The start up process is a little slow, and when I'm in a new area, it can take several minutes before the device has acquired enough satellites to begin tracking. I've hiked a mile before the device was ready to track, which really annoyed me. However, there have been times when acquiring satellites was quick and only took moments.

      I'm finding that the main function I'm using is the tracking followed by the pace screen. It has been useful to periodically glance at the device and see how quickly I'm hiking and to set my pace.

      pix-hiking
      Weather Resistance - I've used the BackTrack in a few sprinkles and rain storms where the unit has become wet or even splashes of water on the top. I've not noticed any damage or decrease in performance and I'm pleased that it is holding up to outdoor conditions without "babying" the device.

      pix-track
      Software - The real winning piece for this device has been the software. The syncing process has been very easy, for which I am very glad and appreciative to Bushnell for making sure this device worked seamlessly on a Macintosh. The tracks seem fairly accurate when mapped on the computer and it has been enjoyable to see some of my trips "recorded" via maps.

      One thing I really wished got transferred was the waypoints. Currently, I cannot save or see waypoints that I marked on the map. This is one feature I really wish existed because I would like to visualize where on the map I marked a key location, for example.

      Speaking of the waypoints, I haven't found much use for them besides wanting to see them on the map once I get home. When I am trail hiking, which is my most common backpacking experience, marking where my car is located or the trailhead is not much use since the route is easy to follow and find. Since this isn't a geocache device, I don't use it to go off trail or bushwhack so finding my way back through the brush is not something I've ended up doing. As of now, my most common use of waypoints is to mark interesting areas, but then since I can't review them later on a map, it becomes a least-used feature for me.

      I also wish I could add waypoints from the computer to then be loaded onto the device. In this way I could mark areas I want to explore and then use the BackTrack to guide me off-trail to find them.

      pix-on-bike
      FIELD USE SUMMARY

      The main thing going for the BackTrack is the weight. Even though I find its usefulness and functionality limited, it is so light that I tend to forgive its shortcomings. I typically set the device to track once I begin hiking and stow it in a pocket.
    • Derek Hansen
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 12, 2013
        Just a bump to make sure this report didn't get lost in the shuffle.

        Best,

        ~derek

        On Oct 30, 2013, at 12:31 AM, Derek Hansen <derek.hansen@...> wrote:

> [...]
        >
        > I also wish I could add waypoints from the computer to then be loaded onto the device. In this way I could mark areas I want to explore and then use the BackTrack to guide me off-trail to find them.
        >
        > pix-on-bike
        > FIELD USE SUMMARY
        >
        > The main thing going for the BackTrack is the weight. Even though I find its usefulness and functionality limited, it is so light that I tend to forgive its shortcomings. I typically set the device to track once I begin hiking and stow it in a pocket.

      • the_fish_guy
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 12, 2013

          Didn't forget . . . I was out of town for a bit, and right now my internet at home is down.  I'll be getting your edits out soon by my phone.

          Mike

          ---In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, <derek.hansen@...> wrote:

> [...]

          > I also wish I could add waypoints from the computer to then be loaded onto the device. In this way I could mark areas I want to explore and then use the BackTrack to guide me off-trail to find them.
          >
          > pix-on-bike
          > FIELD USE SUMMARY
          >
          > The main thing going for the BackTrack is the weight. Even though I find its usefulness and functionality limited, it is so light that I tend to forgive its shortcomings. I typically set the device to track once I begin hiking and stow it in a pocket.

        • the_fish_guy
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 12, 2013

             Derek,

            Great report.  Love the pics!  Just one item below.

            I have to admit, after looking at the rubber-bands attaching it to your handlebars, I had to wonder if you’ll be giving it a durability test very soon!  J

            Mike

            Usability - I'll be honest: The novelty of the BackTrack has been wearing off on me the more I use it in the backcountry. I think the primary reason for this is it's limited usefulness combined with carrying "yet another" digital device.

            EDIT:  its, not it’s (it’s is a contraction of “it” and “is” . . . the possessive form breaks the usual rule for this reason).