IR - OBOZ BRIDGER BOOTS - Jerry Adams

  • jerry adams
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 29, 2013

      OBOZ BRIDGER BOOTS
      TEST SERIES BY JERRY ADAMS
      IR
      October 29, 2013

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Jerry Adams
      EMAIL: jerryaadamsatyahoodotcom
      AGE: 59
      LOCATION: Portland, Oregon, USA
      GENDER: m
      HEIGHT: 6' 1" (1.85 m)
      WEIGHT: 195 lb (88.50 kg)

      I started hiking about 45 years ago. My first backpack was 40 years ago. I currently try to do one backpack trip of 1 to 5 nights every month (which can be tricky in the winter). Mostly I stay in the Western half of Oregon and Washington. In recent years I have shifted to lightweight - my pack weight without food and water is about 12 lb (6 kg). I make a lot of my own gear - silnylon tarp-tent, bivy, synthetic bag, simple bag style pack.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer: Oboz Footwear
      Year of Manufacture: 2013
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://obozfootwear.com/">>
      MSRP: US$160
      Listed Weight: 19 oz (540 g) per shoe for size 9
      Measured Weight: 22.7 oz (640 g) per shoe for size 12
      Other details:
      The Oboz Bridger boots are lightweight, mid height, waterproof, hiking boots.  I'll be using it mostly for backpacking with some dayhiking.  I do mostly trails but also a little off trail, boulders, etc.
      Oboz footwear is "inspired by the wild environs surrounding the company’s Bozeman, Montana home."  They've been selling footwear since 2008.  The Bridger is a new model for 2014.  They are made in Viet Nam.
      The uppers are made of leather.  I count ten pieces that are sewed together (including the tongue).   There are many rows of stitches holding them all together.  There are black rubber pieces over the toe and heel to protect against abrasion.
      I have the "Sudan" color which is a gray color.  They also have Black.  For women, they have "Rio Red" and black.
      There are 6 eyelets on each side and one on the bottom.  Some of the eyelets are metal and some are webbing.  The top eyelet on each side is open for easier unlacing and lacing.  Most boots have two open eyelets on each side, which makes it easier to open the tongue wide to make it easier to put on and take off the boot.  This is a minor criticism just barely worth mentioning.
      The laces are round and made with some sort of squishy synthetic material.  They have a fairly rough texture on the outside.  They're a few inches too long, like every shoestring I've ever had, which I suppose is good because it's long enough for wide feet.
      There is no loop on the back of the heel outside to make putting on the boot easier.  Most boots have this.  I don't know that I really ever use this so I don't think it makes any difference.
      Inside there's a synthetic fabric lining with a waterproof breathable layer called BDry between the lining and outer leather.
      The insole is some sort of molded foam, with inserts at the heel and ball of the foot that are made of a different type of foam.  There's fabric on the top.
      In the past, boots I've had, most often wear out on the sides of the foot where my toes bend.  These boots have a solid piece of leather there rather than a seam, which is good, because that's caused failures on boots I've used in the past.  Also, the boots are fairly stiff so the leather doesn't bend very much so it shouldn't wear out there.  I'll be able to evaluate that a little during my testing, but normally it takes more use than what I'll do before it starts wearing there.
      The soles are made of orange and black rubber - fairly aggressive lugs.
      The top of the boot is 6 inches (15 cm) above the ground.  The soles are 1.5 inches (3.75 cm) thick at the heel and 0.75 inch (1.9 cm)  thick at the ball of the foot.  The lugs on the sole are about 0.25 inch (0.6 cm) high.
      There are four "Oboz" logos and one "BDry waterproof" logo on each boot.
      Right and left side of boots:
      Front and Back of boots:
      Bottom and top of boots, bottom and top of insole:

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      I wore the Oboz around the house a little.  They feel good.  Plenty of room for my toes both length and width.  The Oboz sizing is consistent with other boots I've worn - I wear size 12 (U.S. mens) which is what these boots are labeled as.  I'll evaluate this better during my testing - if I don't get blisters then it's sized good.
      All of the stitching and gluing looks good.  All the pieces are cut good so they fit together good.
      The soles are pretty stiff.  When I try to bend my toes, the boots don't bend very much.  These are stiffer than most other boots I've had.  This can be a good thing in that when I step on a sharp rock I won't feel the sharp edge on my foot, the boot spreads out the load.  This can be a bad thing in that it's harder to keep the sole flat on the ground for maximum surface area against ground for best traction.  I'll evaluate this on a range of trail surfaces.
      I'm looking forward to some real use.

      SUMMARY

      The Oboz Bridger boots are new for 2014.
      They are all leather on the outside, made of about 10 pieces sewed together.
      They have a waterproof breathable BDry layer inside.
      These are about the lightest mid height boots I've ever tested - 22.7 ounces (640 g) for one size 12 boot.
      The soles are fairly stiff.
      The lugs are fairly aggressive.
      I'll be testing these boots on about two trips in each of the Field Report and Long Term report periods.  Each trip will be about 4 nights and 30 miles (50 km).  I'll do more cold, wet weather testing since this is winter.
      Look forward to my Field Report in about 2 months.
      Thanks to Oboz and BackpackGearTest.org for letting me test these.

      Copyright 2013.  All rights reserved.
    • jerry adams
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 29, 2013
        Oops - forgot link to test

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 22, 2013

          Hi Jerry,

          I guess Kathy hadn’t heard from the original test monitor, so you ended up with me. I look forward to a smooth test.  Your HTML version looks good, all link are working and the pics turned out nicely.   I found just a couple things for you to fix in the body of the report.  When these are done go ahead and upload.  My edits, suggestions and comments are marked with ## just below a snip of your words.

          Thanks.

          Jamie DeBenedetto

          Oboz Bridger Boots Monitor

          You - I'll be using it mostly for backpacking with some dayhiking

          ##Edit – using “them”

          You - Oboz footwear is "inspired by the wild environs surrounding the company’s Bozeman, Montana home."

          ##Edit – Please capitalize “footwear”

          You - They are made in Viet Nam.

          ##Edit – Vietnam

          You - I have the "Sudan" color which is a gray color. They also have Black. For women, they have "Rio Red" and black.

          ##Suggestion – Here you have the colors both capitalized and lower cased, please decide which you prefer and change them all to that one style for consistency.

          You - They're a few inches too long, like every shoestring I've ever had, which I suppose is good because it's long enough for wide feet.

          ##Edit – metric conversion needed here

          You - The Oboz sizing is consistent with other boots I've worn - I wear size 12 (U.S. mens)

          ##Edit – men’s

          You - This can be a bad thing in that it's harder to keep the sole flat on the ground for maximum surface area against ground for best traction.

          ##Edit – against “the” ground

          ---In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, <jerryaadams@...> wrote:

          Oops - forgot link to test