Application - MAGELLAN 350 H GPS - Coy Starnes

  • starnescr
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 23, 2013
      Application - MAGELLAN 350 H GPS - Coy Starnes

      Applicant: Coy Starnes
      Gender: Male
      Age: 51
      Weight 250 lb. (113 kg)
      Height 6 ft. (1.83 m.)
      E-Mail: starnescr@... (starnescr at yahoo dot com)
      Location: Northeast Alabama (Grant)

      I have read the latest version (v. 0609) of the Survival Guide,especially
      chapters 4, 5, and 6 and I agree to abide by all rules and requirements set forth. My signed Tester Agreement is on file with BGT. I will meet the minimum nights required (5), or in this case, some hiking but mostly for hunting.

      Brief Bio:
      I am an avid outdoorsman and enjoy hiking, backpacking, hunting, kayaking/ canoeing, caving, and spending as much time outdoors as possible. I live in northeast Alabama where I do most of my backpacking and hiking. I hike solo and with friends and family. I go hiking throughout the year but sometimes wimp out of actually backpacking in midsummer when the heat and humidity make the trail miserable.

      My style is slow and steady. My shelter of choice is a hammock and I usually cook with an alcohol stove. I have made great strides in becoming a lightweight backpacker but I still choose gear with an eye towards comfort and durability. My pack weight is around 25 lb (11 kg) for most summer 2 and 3 day trips. However, in the winter my pack weight climbs considerably, not only in weight but in bulk as well.

      Application
      Hello John, I would be happy to help BGT test this GPS. I Recently got a smart phone (February 2013) and one of the first things I did was put a couple of navigation apps (ViewRanger and MapMyRide) on it.  These work pretty good but I found a few limitations that the MAGELLAN 350 H GPS should address.  When my fingers got cold and or the screen on my phone became wet I could not get the touch interface to respond to my finger.  This was very frustration.   I also noticed that when using a GPS app my battery drained at an alarming rate.  I have been on hikes of several hours and had my phone use nearly 50% of it's battery life. Fortunately, these hikes were planned and I had fully charged my phone before heading out.  But, I still would like a stand along GPS so that I can save my phone for more important stuff, like taking pictures or making a call if needed.

      If selected, my test plan will mainly be about how easy (or not) the unit is to use.  I want to be able to just mash a couple of buttons to track a route, store a route,  mark a waypoint etc.  If it gets complicated I get frustrated.  As a result, my review might not be the most technical but I will strive to make it practical. I am also interested in how easy it is to transfer my field data over to my PC.  I mostly squirrel hunt and this past Saturday I went with a buddy on some TVA land we had never explored. Neither one of us used our phone to mark a track but we were able to pull up a topo map and see where we were and knew we were parked at the end of the road we drove into the area on. However, we were both sore the next day and had no idea how far we hiked. We guesstimated about 3 miles but it was over very rugged terrain and we did climb about 600 ft. It would have been neat to have tracked our route and then downloaded it to a PC.

      The listed 18 hour battery life is pretty good but I also like that the GPS features a suspend mode that will save battery power while still tracking my route. This could come in handy for those times I find the battery power low when I want to use the GPS and dont have a fresh set handy.  I also like that it used AA batteries.

      I probably will not be able to use the boundary alarm feature because the WMA's in Alabama are not listed as available.  However, a quick Google search did mention that they are working on getting them.

      And lastly, I will probably use it while fishing and exploring with my kayak.  It would be handy to be able to mark good fishing spots I find. I also kayak in a few areas that are easy to get lost in. I have been with other kayakers who had a GPS and we depended on the GPS to find our way back out once we paddled back into an area with multiple channels.  The fact that the Magellan 350H is rated IPX-7 (waterproof to 1 meter for 30 minutes) should make it pretty good for kayaking as long as I don't drop it into deep water.

      Proposed Test Locations and Conditions
      I usually hunt on my own land or TVA land that is open to hunting. I have not hunted the Skyline WMA in several years but plan to deer hunt it this year. The terrain is usually never flat and seldom dry and the trails (if I'm even on a trail) are often slick when wet. Rocks and roots are everywhere.

      Test Load: 3

      Carhartt Henley Tee: LTR due Nov 19th 2013

      Selk' sleeping bag: IR uploaded yesterday, dates not set yet.

      Selected to test
      Mountain Khakis Rendezvous, awaiting delivery.

      Applications being considered: 1

      Smartwool sock

      Here are my reviews.
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/Coy%20Boy