FR - GREGORY CAIRN BACKPACK - Theresa Lawrence

  • Theresa Lawrence
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 22, 2013
      Hi Mike, enjoy the review, so far it's been a great test, thanks for your editing.
      Theresa

      HTML is found her and text below,
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/FR%20-%20Gregory%20Cairn%20Backpack%20-%20Theresa%20Lawrence/

      GREGORY CAIRN 58 BACKPACK
      TEST SERIES BY THERESA LAWRENCE
      FR
      October 22, 2013

      FIELD LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      I took the Gregory Cairn on the following trips and experienced a range of conditions:
      - 3 week trip to Scotland where it was used in the following ways:
                   * carried my travel items on and off planes, trains, buses, underground tubes and a campervan
                   * day hike on Ben Nevis, 570 m (1870 ft) - weather was misty, 22 C (72 F)
      - 1 overnight to Willamina Lake, Elk Valley, BC
                   * 350 m (1148 ft) elevation gain, 6 km (3.7 mi) return trail
                   * weather - snow, sleet, gale force winds, temperatures -1 (30.2 F) to 2 C (35.6 F)
      - 2 overnights to Bowman, Lower and Middle Quartz Lakes, Glacier National Park, MT
                   * 610 m (2000 ft) elevation, 17 km (10.6 mi) loop
                   * weather - dry, sunny, 1 C (33.8 F) to 13 C (55 F)

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      COMFORT AND FIT
      So far the Cairn has been great to wear. It sits comfortably on my hips/ shoulders and it was easy to adjust to my torso and waist. The chest strap was a bit tricky with the metal clips that were difficult to remove, but now that they are set they won't need moving again. I like how the waist straps adjust by pulling from the sides, but I'm left with long tails that have no where to tuck away. I may just cut these eventually. The wishbone frame works well to distribute the weight on my hips and shoulders. I have no concerns with my back and it does allow for some venting.

      FUNCTIONALITY
      I'm usually one to just stuff everything into a big sack of a pack, but my eyes have been opened to just how efficient a smaller pack volume can be with the use of the Trail Smart Packing System. This system is brilliant and doesn't add to the weight of the pack. Somehow with all the additional pockets and zippers, the pack is still lighter than most packs I've used of this size. What's great is that I don't have to pack my water bladder first to ensure it fits in the pack once full of water. Because of the external sleeve between the frame and the backpack, there's always enough room for it and it can easily be taken out to fill it up on trail and put back in. The waist pockets are quite small. So far all that I've used them for are lip balm and snack bars. My small camera doesn't fit in it, but there is a vertical zippered pocket beside the frame that can be reached by my right hand when I'm wearing the pack, which is convenient. The rest of the
      compartments have proved useful for maximizing the space inside the pack. The top lid pocket with the roll top and zipper is easy to access and provides an extra secured water resistant area. Though when it was raining I just used the rain cover, which has gotten good use so far, and has proved to be reliable.

      I haven't made up my mind on the system used to hold my hiking poles. It has proved useful, but the bottom loops don't adjust, and seem like the poles will fall through them, though that has never happened. I might suggest making these loops smaller, since they are elastic, they would still fit a range of sizes. The top clasp and bungee on this tool system works well.

      DURABILITY
      I have no concerns about the durability of the pack. Everything appears to be well constructed and reinforced where needed. Having said that, I will be looking at this closely in the longterm testing phase to see if it does indeed hold up to my expectations.

      SUMMARY

      So far the Cairn has met my expectations and has helped organize my packing making everything I need on the trail accessible. I am very impressed by the lightweight fabrics and materials used and still feels of superior quality. I look forward to taking it out on more trips and testing its durability.

      PROS
      - Easy to organize and pack
      - Lightweight
      - Comfortable and fits well
      - Efficient use of space

      CONS
      - The waist pockets could be a little bigger

      Thank you to Gregory Mountain Products and BackpackGearTest.org for allowing me to take part in this test series. In another couple months I will be able to add more comments on its durability in the field, stay tuned.

      Copyright 2013.  All rights reserved.
    • Mike Mosack
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 25, 2013
        Hi Theresa!

        Wow – Scotland huh... Absolutely a place on my bucket list... I’m quite jealous. So, anyway, I’ve got your edits in the usual format of,
        EDIT – must change
        edit – my recommended change if you agree
        comment – is just that

        “Thanks to Gregory Mountain Products and BackpackGearTest.org for allowing me to take part in this test series.”

        EDIT – This was from your IR. Please remove it and have it at the end of the latest report.

        “- 1 overnight to Willamina Lake, Elk Valley, BC”

        EDIT – you should clarify that this is British Columbia Canada especially since it is immediately below where you are giving the impression it might be in Scotland. For our international readers, please spell out abbreviations the first time using them in a report and clarify the country in which traveled.

        “weather - snow, sleet, gale force winds, temperatures -1 (30.2 F) to 2 C (35.6 F)”

        Edit – you can round up/down the temperatures to remove the decimal points.

        “- 2 overnights to Bowman, Lower and Middle Quartz Lakes, Glacier National Park, MT”

        EDIT – same as BC above only this should read Montana, USA.

        “weather - dry, sunny, 1 C (33.8 F) to 13 C (55 F)

        Edit – same as above – I would round off the temperatures to whole numbers. No one can tell the difference between 33.8 F and 34 F.

        “I like how the waist straps adjust by pulling from the sides, but I'm left with long tails that have no where to tuck away.”

        Edit – nowhere (one word) seems to read better – and maybe “nowhere to be tucked away.” is better yet.

        “Having said that, I will be looking at this closely in the longterm testing phase to see if it does indeed hold up to my expectations.”

        EDIT – long term or long-term

        “I am very impressed by the lightweight fabrics and materials used and still feels of superior quality.”

        EDIT – “I am very impressed by the lightweight fabrics and materials used and ([it] or [the pack])still feels of superior quality.”

        “CONS
        - The waist pockets could be a little bigger”

        Comment – You could mention here about your concerns of the loops that you think are too large.

        “In another couple months I will be able to add more comments on its durability in the field, stay tuned.”

        EDIT – Stay Tuned. (Should be a new sentence, following a period after “field.”)

        I like your photos. They are a “little” small but that could be worse since I’m working off my little 13” laptop.
        See you in two. Have fun
        Mike