Application: SmartWool Heavy Crew socks - Nancy Griffith

  • Nancy Griffith
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 20, 2013
      Hi Andrea,

      Please consider my application to test the SmartWool PhD Outdoor Heavy Crew socks. I have read the BackpackGearTest.org By-Laws (v. 0609) particularly Chapters 4, 5 and 6 and I agree to abide by all rules and requirements. My signed Tester Agreement is on file.

      Tester information:
      · Nancy Griffith
      · 47
      · Female
      · 5’6” (1.68 m)
      · 130 lb (59 kg)
      · bkpkrgirlATyahooDOT com
      · Northern California, USA

      Backpacking background:
      My outdoor experience began in high school with involvement in a local canoeing/camping group called Canoe Trails. The culmination was a 10-day canoe voyage through the Quebec wilds. I've been backpacking since my college days in Pennsylvania. I have completed all of the Appalachian Trail in Georgia, Tennessee and North Carolina. My typical trip now is in the Sierra Nevada in California and is from a few days to a week long. I carry a light to mid-weight load, use a tent, stove and trekking poles.

      Test plan or strategy:
      Winter for me includes lots of snowshoeing and some lower elevation hiking.  In both cases I prefer crew height warmer socks.  I'm intrigued by the Elite Fit feature for keeping them from slipping down inside my snow boots.  Snowshoeing seems to be the only time that I ever get a blister and slipping socks is a big contributor.  I love wool socks in summer but don't think that any of my winter socks are wool.  Heavier socks can be too hot if they don't breathe, so I'm interested how they do with my snow boots.  My final concern is durability since I can wear through heels of lesser socks in a hurry.

      Test Conditions:
      I don't have any firm trips planned but we backpack once per month throughout the fall and winter and have some snowshoe overnighters that we want to do this winter.  Other weekends will include day snowshoeing and hiking.  I also hike on weeknights when we still have a little daylight after work.  I'll wear them for my pre-dawn runs too if they fit in my running shoes.
      Snow trips: 5,000 to 9,000 ft elevation; 20 to 50 degrees F; sunny to snowy conditions
      Lower elevation hikes: 2,000 to 4,000 ft elevation; 35 to 55 degrees F; sunny to rainy conditions
      Shoes worn: Hiking boots, Snow boots, running shoes (possible)

      I haven't submitted any ORs in 2013.  YIKES.
      My reviews can be viewed at:http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/ngriffith

      My current tests are:
      La Sportiva Hyper Mid GTX boots: LTR due 11/5
      Tilley Mash-up hat: LTR due 11/26

      Labor of Love: Test Director (now Manager), Monitor

      I have no other applications pending.
      Thank you for considering my application.

      Nancy