LTR - Carhartt Force T-Shirt - Andrea Murland

  • Andrea Murland
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 2, 2013
      Hi Coy,

      Here's my LTR for the Carhartt Force T-Shirt. Thanks in advance for the edits to wrap this test up.

      Andrea

      HTML: http://tinyurl.com/o947q5d

      Text:

      Carhartt Women’s Force Performance T-Shirt
      Long Term Report - October 2, 2013

      Field Conditions:
      Over the past four months, I have used the Carhartt Force T-Shirt on four overnight trips, 13 day hikes, and it was the only t-shirt I took on a three-week long trip to Iceland. The overnight and day hikes ranged in temperature from around freezing to about 30 C (86 F), and lengths ranging from 5 km (3.1 mi) to 17 km (10.5 mi). The weather this year seemed to be mostly lousy, so although I occasionally got warm enough to wear the shirt alone, I was often wearing it under a rain jacket and one or more insulating layers (from none up to 4 other layers). I washed the shirt in the washing machine 9 times, always on a warm cycle. I also washed it by hand twice. The shirt hung to dry each time, except for once when it went through the dryer on a fairly warm setting (whatever setting the hostel dryer was at...).

      Observations:

      Sizing
      As I noted in my Initial Report, I exchanged for a size small shirt. It is a much better fit, though still roomy. I like it for Search & Rescue, because the looser fit looks a little more professional than some of my other hiking shirts. I found the shirt to be quite long. While I liked that the shirt didn’t ride up under my pack or a harness, I had to tuck the shirt in or run the risk of looking like I wasn’t wearing shorts some days. I don’t normally tuck in my shirt while I’m hiking (unless it’s winter and I’m wearing lots of layers), but it was required with this shirt, and I found that I didn’t really mind.

      Moisture & Odour Management
      Overall, the shirt performed very well. I own hiking shirts in a range of fabrics, from synthetics to wool. I have parked my synthetic shirts for anything that involves other people or an activity longer than about an hour because they seem to smell immediately after I put them on. I am happy to say that the Force T-Shirt outperformed all of my synthetic shirts. On the other hand, I found that after 2 to 3 days of wear (even with low to medium activity levels in cool weather – not sweating) the Force started to smell not quite so fresh. Twice, I wore it for 6 days straight in Iceland, and on the seventh day I couldn’t bring myself to put it on in the morning. It aired out reasonably well overnight, but didn’t stay okay-smelling for long. I would rate it somewhere far above my synthetics but well below my all-natural shirts for odour management, not surprising given the fabric blend.

      The shirt managed moisture well. I was able to soak through the back of the shirt (against my pack) when hiking hard, but found that I cooled off quickly in a breeze once taking off my pack, and the shirt dried in the time it took to eat lunch at the top. I don’t usually hike in a t-shirt when it’s warm out (I’m a sleeveless hiker), but the weather this year meant that I wore the Force shirt most of the time. I also noted that after washing, the Force shirt dried out easily overnight, and it was mostly dry after only a few hours.

      Durability & Washability
      When I received the size small shirt, I noticed that it had a seam that was coming undone and trailing a thread. The seam was unravelling rapidly, so I spent about 20 minutes pulling threads to the inside and tying knots to secure it. Since then, the seam has not gotten much worse, though there is a loose trailing thread again. Otherwise, the shirt looks as good as new. There is no pilling on the fabric near where the shoulder straps or waist belt of my pack sits. Dirt washed out quite well. I tested the stain repellency with a big spot of olive oil on the front, but it spot cleaned out easily. I am pleased with how the shirt has held up.

      Thumbs Up:
      Good fabric durability
      Soft, comfortable fabric
      Decent moisture & odour management

      Thumbs Down:
      Sizing charts not accurate
      Poor quality seam when new

      Thanks to Carhartt and BackpackGearTest.org for the chance to test the Force T-Shirt!
    • starnescr
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 3, 2013

         Hi Andrea, nice wrap up.  Sounds like you have enjoyed this shirt similar to how I have my men's version. I especially liked the  collage of photos you did! Iceland I assume, it looks beautiful. You might want to mention that this is where the photos were taken.  Oh, and you still cant spell Odor and color properly....LOL

        Just one edit or comment, see below.  Thanks for making my editing job so easy!

        Coy Boy

        ---In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, <amurland@...> wrote:

        Hi Coy,

        Here's my LTR for the Carhartt Force T-Shirt. Thanks in advance for the edits to wrap this test up.

        Andrea

        HTML: http://tinyurl.com/o947q5d

        Thanks to Carhartt and BackpackGearTest.org for the chance to test the Force T-Shirt!

        Edit or Comment:  As I just told Steve K, I think we are supposed to end with something to the effect, This concludes this test.  Then continue with your thanks.
      • ringrat55