LTR: SCARPA Rapid LT - Kara S

  • K S
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2013
      Hi Brett;

      My LTR can be found at: http://tinyurl.com/oryuo59.

      Thanks ahead of time for you edits. The text from the report is below.

      Kara
      ~~~~

      LONG-TERM REPORT

      LONG-TERM TEST LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1"  IMAGE CAPTION = "Backpacking in Wales">>Humphreys Peak, Arizona
      August 17
      Distance: 21 miles/33.8 km
      Elevation: 8,024 ft/2,446 m to 12,637 ft/3,210 m
      Weather: Overcast, with thunderstorms, hail, and pouring rain at times.
      Temperatures: in the 50's F/10 C and 60's F/15 C

      Ceredigion Coast Path, Wales, UK
      August 28-30
      Distance: 38 miles/61 km
      Elevation: 0 ft /0 m to ~1,000 ft / 305 m
      Temperatures: High in the low 70s F/21 C to with lows around 45 F/7 C
      Weather: Sunny, cloudy, and misty rain depending on the day.

      Day Hikes on Mt. Rainer, Washington State
      September 14 and 15
      Combined total distance: 14 miles/22.5 km
      Elevation: 4,300 ft/1,311 m to 5,900 ft/1,798 m
      Weather: Warm and sunny

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2"  IMAGE CAPTION = "Shoes on the beach">>I took those as my main shoes for a 10 day trip to Wales, which included a 3-day backpacking trip. I wore them on the planes and trains required to get from Arizona to Wales and back again. They worked well for travel, since the laces were so short, it was easy to leave them untied for easy on/off at all the security check points in the airports. I also find them fashionable enough to wear out while walking around town and going out to a pub for lunch.

      During the test period I took a long weekend trip up to Kanab, Utah. While there, I did several short hikes in sandstone canyons and across sandstone formations. This included climbing and scrambling around on various formations. The shoes performed superbly. They had great grip and I felt stable while playing around on the fun features.

      They are still in great shape and fit well. All of the seams are still intact and holding strong. There is no peeling apart of glued soles or the rubber toe rands. I can see some compression of the foot bed, but after putting over 140 miles/225 km on the shoes, this is to be expected. I have not gotten blisters from these shoes. Even though they have gotten totally drenched on several of my hikes, they still fit like a glove.

      SUMMARY

      I have truey loved these shoes from the start. They have earned their place in my gear closet. After months of wear in all types on conditions, they are still look almost like new. My only complaint with these shoes are the short laces, however the oval style laces rarely come untied while hiking.

      Thank you BackpackGearTester.org and SCARPA for the chance to test out these awesome shoes!

      ~~~
      "Making the world a better place is not only your responsibility, it is your joy, it is your blessing, it is your gift, it's your opportunity to make your life mean something, so take it." ~ Derrick N. Ashong
    • Brett Haydin
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 5, 2013
        Kara,

        Nice wrap up with the report.  I'm glad that the short laces found a place after all!  The pictures are good and the HTML looks fine.  Feel free to upload when you make the suggested changes below.  Thanks for a great series!

        -Brett

        <snip>
        Temperatures: High in the low 70s F/21 C to with lows around 45 F/7 C
        Edit: I understand what you are trying to say, but it is confusing as written.  Perhaps: “Highs in the low 70s F/21 C, with lows around 45 F/7 C”

        <snip>
        I took those as my main shoes for a 10 day trip to Wales,
        Edit: “these” sounds better than “those” here, in my opinion.

        <snip>
        I have truey loved these shoes from the start.
        EDIT: “truly”