LTR---OSPREY VOLT---STEVE KIDD

  • ftroop94
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2013

      Coy,

      Here is my LTR.  Let me know what to work on!

      HTML:

      http://alturl.com/qc2t2

      or

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/LTR--OSPREY%20VOLT--STEVE%20KIDD/

      TEXT:

      23-25 August, 2013: The Fiery Gizzard Trail, South Cumberland State Park, Tennessee. A 3-day, 2-night outing; that covered around 6 miles (~10 km). With my 4 1/2 and 6 year old children along we hiked to the Small Wilds camping area.  This was not there first mult-night trip, but it was the first experience that all three of us had not share a 3-Person tent.  Instead we all had individual hammock setups.  I'd been out one-on-one using hammocks and with all three of us in the back yard, but now we all had our own rigs setup on individual trees. Elevations were a fairly constant 1750 ft (533 m) and temperatures were nice compared to normal August conditions in the south.  It was dry and temperatures ranged from 68 - 82 F (2- 28 C).

      13-14 September, 2013: The Stone Door area of the South Cumberland State Park, Tennessee.  This was quick overnight trip to dial the nuances on a new hammock that a buddy made for me.  In early October I'll be taking a 4 day trip in the Great Smokey Mountain National Park and I wanted to ensure my new sleeping setup is comfortable.  Conditions were nastier than my August trip!  Summer finally hit us in Tennessee at the beginning of September.  I covered around 13 miles (21 km) and temperatures were as warm at 96 F (~36 C) and the humidity was intense.

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      This cavernous pack has held up well to the experiences I've thrown at it throughout the testing series.  I emphasize cavernous as for me, the volume of this pack was particularly spacious for summer (over even winter) use.  The Volt is more pack than I'd typically ever need for the majority of my solo backcountry experiences.  That stated it was an excellent commodity to have on the trips that involved my children!

      I'll address that first as this was my favorite aspect of the product.  My children are young, nearly five and just over six years in age, but they love to get out into the woods with me.  At this point I like them to carry a little of their own weight to appreciate the experience, but for all intense purposes I am still the pack mule.  I've also just begun to introduce them to hammock camping vs. sleeping in at tent.  I state all this to clarify that with this form of camping we each need the following individual items: a hammock, a top quilt and an underquilt.  We also need a minimum of two and sometimes three tarp for weather protection.

      I typically have the children carry one of their own quilts, their clothes and a few other essential items.  That leaves me with multiple hammocks, quilts, tarps, food and more.  I try to be as minimal as possible on weight, but all this gear does add up in volume.  The Volt has been able to handle all this gear without concern.  Also, on my heaviest outset I measured the pack weight at 44 lbs (20 kg).  At this I still found the pack very comfortable.  It never pulled away from my body and in my opinion handled quite well.  I would like to clarify that most of the terrain at this weight was relatively flat.  This wasn't to minimize the testing experience, rather to keep my young children invigorated and excited about their early experiences carrying their own gear.

      I've noticed no major wear on the pack, as I believe it is built quite well.  I did perspire quite a bit on warmer days when hiking with the Volt.  I prefer the suspensions that offer a mesh ventilation air gap between my body and the pack bag.  Although several Osprey designs offer this, the Volt does not.  I wasn't a deal breaker, but would have been nice.  I'm not certain how the manufacturer could incorporate such technology into an adjustable framed pack and I presume this is the reason there is no such option with this design.

      As I mentioned the pack has held up well and is made with what I find is a durable cloth.  This may have allowed it to hold up well to heavy use and heavy weight loads.  That stated, with all the 'beefy' materials and options I find the weight to feature ratio to be acceptable for a product of this level.  I've certainly carried packs with similar features and design that were quite a bit heavier!

      As mentioned in my previous field report, I like the option of the Fit-on-the-Fly technology, but really didn't find a need for it that often.  Once I had the pack 'dialed-in' it was good to go for me.  I can't speculate on others' use, but could envision its use during changing environments.  I'll reiterate that I do really like the Stow-on-the-Go technology for quick trekking pole deployment.  I even noticed a mimicked version from a specialty vendor recently.

      SUMMARY

      Overall I was quite impressed with the Osprey Volt.  I found it to be an excellent option when I'm packing large loads with my young children.  I personally feel this pack is probably intended to be marketed toward the newer/entry level backpacker based on its pricing and versatility.  However, as an experienced (...old?) hiker I'm happy to continue using it in the instances I've mentioned above.  For my average outing when I do not have my children in tow it certainly will not be my go-to product, but this isn't a negative.  I simply have no need for the massive volume when I'm packing for myself alone.

      I'll summarize by reminding the reader that although in my opinion the pack is more entry level, it certainly boasts many features that to-date I've only seen on packs starting a much higher price point.  The pack handles well

      I'd like to thank BackpackGearTest.org and Osprey Packs, Inc. for allowing me the opportunity to test the Volt 75.

    • starnescr
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 3, 2013

         Hi Steve, great to hear of a dad hiking with his kids.  Or in your case Kidds... I have just a couple of edits and comments for you to look at.  Thanks for making my job easy and enjoyable on this series.

        Coy Boy

        ---In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, <ftroop94@...> wrote:

        Coy,

        Here is my LTR.  Let me know what to work on!

        HTML:

        http://alturl.com/qc2t2

        or

        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/LTR--OSPREY%20VOLT--STEVE%20KIDD/

        TEXT:

        23-25 August, 2013: The Fiery Gizzard Trail, South Cumberland State Park, Tennessee. A 3-day, 2-night outing; that covered around 6 miles (~10 km). With my 4 1/2 and 6 year old children along we hiked to the Small Wilds camping area.  This was not there first mult-night trip,

        Edit: there should be their.

        but it was the first experience that all three of us had not share a 3-Person tent.

        Edit: share should be shared.  or say did not share

          We also need a minimum of two and sometimes three tarp for weather protection.

        Edit: tarp should be tarps

        As I mentioned the pack has held up well and is made with what I find is a durable cloth.

        comment: to many is's in close proximity... maybe just remove the last one, it still reads fine.  bonus comment: I  would add a couple of commas and make it read.

        As I mentioned, the pack has held up well, and is made with what I find a durable cloth.

        The pack handles well

        Edit: need a period after well.

        I'd like to thank BackpackGearTest.org and Osprey Packs, Inc. for allowing me the opportunity to test the Volt 75.

        Comment or Edit:  I'm no positive it is require but most reports end with something to the effect, This concludes my testing of the (state item).  Then add the thank you

      • ftroop94
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 6, 2013

           Thanks Coy Boy,

          Just made it in from 50 or so on the BMT over on the TN/NC state line.  Left the Osprey at home in place of cuben fiber.

          Edits attended to, posted and test file deleted