FR - NEMO Equipment Harmony - Kathy Waters

  • Kathy Waters
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 29, 2013

      Brett,

      Below is the text for my FR and the HTML with pictures (not as great as yours!) is in the test folder at:  http://tinyurl.com/ncjxe5f

      I’m sure you will recognize the view at the Huron Peak trailhead!

      I look forward to your edits.

      Kathy

      __________________________________________-

      FIELD LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      Over the last two months, I've had the NEMO Harmony sleeping bag out on three separate weekend backpacking trips.  Two of those trips took place in the Cooper Mountain Range in the Bureau of Land Management Royal Gorge area near our home in Canon City, Colorado.  The third was near Huron Peak in the Sawatch Mountain Range, Chaffee County, Colorado.

      July 5 through 7 - Trip One ( two overnights)  - Cooper Mountain Range, Fremont County, Colorado

      Elevation/Terrain:  5600+ ft (1700 m) on hard, relatively flat, packed dirt surface

      General Weather Conditions:  Cloudy with early afternoon light rain showers both days

      Nighttime Temperature Low:  65 F (18 C)

      July 12 through 14 - Trip Two ( two overnights) - Huron Peak trailhead, Sawatch Mountain Range, Chaffee County, Colorado

      Elevation/Terrain:  10,500+ ft (3200 m) on a grassy, flat alpine meadow filled with wildflowers

      General Weather Conditions:  Intermittent afternoon and early evening showers and long periods of daytime sunshine

      Nighttime Termperature Low:  Just about the freezing point

      September 22 through 23 - Trip Three (single overnight) - Cooper Mountain Range, Fremont County, Colorado

      Elevation/Terrain:  5600+ ft (1700 m) on hard, relatively flat, packed dirt surface

      General Weather Conditions:  Cloudy with early afternoon heavy rain downpour

      Nighttime Temperature Low:  45 F (7 C)

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      First off, let me say, that despite my difficulty in getting the zipper back together in my initial try-out, I was able to quickly get it zippered properly when I was packing up for my first backpack outing with the NEMO Harmony.  I guess I was just tired and frustrated that first time because, now, as long as I have adequate lighting, I'm good.  If it's dark, all bets are off and I just beg someone else with decent eyesight to do it.

      Getting a good night's sleep is essential for me to have a good day's trek.  If I'm too hot, too cold or too confined at night, while I love my time on the trail the next day, I know I'm not at my best.  So, my sleep system is very important to me.

      On these last three forays, I have used the NEMO Harmony sleeping bag exclusively.  I've used it with various sleeping pads, from a very cushy blow-up mattress at a base camp to a very thin self-inflating pad and a blow-up insulated pad on hard ground.

      I've slept in as little as only a tee-shirt/ shorts on my first outing; everything I had (pants, tee-shirt, fleece jacket, socks & hat) at Huron Peak, and just a long-sleeve base layer top with base layer pants on the last overnight.

      On all those nights, I was snug as a bug in the rug, EXCEPT for my first night at Huron Peak.

      For that trek, I totally was lazy about checking the weather forecast, blithely assuming it would be as balmy at 10,500 ft (3200 m) as it was at half that elevation the week before.  I also didn't want to rout through my warmer packed-away clothing for my base layers.  Well, it wasn't as warm as the previous weekend and I should have taken the time to pull out those boxes!  It was freezing, in fact, and I spent a miserable night, curled up as tightly as I could manage, trying to stay warm (and to sleep) with all my clothing on, including 2 pairs of socks and a synthetic cap.  And this was the night; I was "glamping" on a full-sized blow-up mattress!  I can hardly fault the Harmony though as my tent-mates also complained of the cold, including my granddaughter who was using a 15 degree sleeping bag.

      The very next night, at the same location using the same padding, I was able to shed most of my clothing and just sleep in cotton leggings and my light fleece jacket.  No hat or socks needed!  Yay!

      Where the NEMO Harmony gets my undying gratitude is the "spoon" design that allows me to move naturally when I sleep.  Unless I'm downright comatose (even then, I suspect), I move around a lot during the night.  I generally start out on my back, but as soon as I doze off, I'm onto my side.  From there, I flop to my stomach, back to my side and continue to rotate like a chicken on the grill - sometimes that hot as well!

      In other mummy-style bags, this presents a problem as I can easily change positions without waking up and annoying the heck out of myself.  No matter what the temperature is outside, I end up unzipping the sleeping bag so I can move and then, of course, I'm awakened because I'm now uncovered and cold.  Grrrr!

      With the Harmony, I can move as much as I want without any bother or rude awakenings when I realize I'm suffocating with a sleeping bag jammed against my nose and mouth.  There is plenty of leg room for my knees, even if they are bent and my shoulders never feel like they are going to tear right through the lining.  Ahhh.  So nice!

      Though initially, I thought it would be a really great feature, I found that I couldn't use the built-in pillow sleeve.  I had high hopes for it and it works great as long as I stay flat on my back.

      However, that isn't the way I sleep.  I tend to move around a lot (ask my husband) and mostly end up on my side in a semi-fetal position with my arm under my pillow tightly clutching it for dear life.  Since the pillow sleeve is sewn into the body of the bag on three sides, I can't wiggle into my usual position.  After a very short time of frustrating readjusting, on my very first outing, I pulled my fleece jacket/pillow out of the sleeve and happily went to sleep like a baby on my left side with my knees up and clutching my blankie, I mean, pillow. (And no, I didn't suck my thumb!)

      Again, thanks to my nighttime restlessness, I didn't use the zippered stash pocket as fully as I could if I were a back-sleeper.  I move around so much that putting my glasses in there was just asking to find them in pieces in the morning.  Ditto anything else that is remotely fragile.  Any object that is heavy - like my cell phone - was just plain annoying to have flapping around in the pocket as well.  The pocket is great for tissues, my lip balm and my always-present migraine meds (I often get migraines when sleeping.).  The pocket keeps these sorts of items handy and safe.

      My only real complaint regarding the NEMO Harmony isn't with the performance of the sleeping bag at all - it's with the included stuff sack.  The stuff sack is of the roll-top variety and is just too big and bulky for me.  It's very, very easy to get the Harmony into the stuff sack because the sack is not "space-saving" in the least.  I can compress the Harmony down quite a bit more to a more pack-friendly size.  As it is, the Harmony is the biggest space-hog in my backpack.

      Now that these first couple of months' field experiences are in the books, I plan to use a third-party stuff sack.

      SUMMARY

      For these last two months, I've greatly enjoyed using the NEMO Harmony sleeping bag.  It's roomy and has been generally comfortably warm.  I love the lack on constraint on my night-time wiggliness.  Overall, sleeping in the NEMO Harmony sleeping bag is a very, very comfortable way to sleep.

      In two weeks, I will be backpacking in the Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve in Colorado where the temperatures will probably be a bit colder - definitely below what I've experienced so far.  It will be interesting to see just how low - temperature wise - I can take the Harmony and still get a decent night's sleep.

      I wish to thank NEMO Equipment and BackpackGearTest.org for providing me with the opportunity to try out the W's Harmony Sleeping Bag.  To find out if the "40" in this report title is truly an accurate low-point rating, check back in late November to see if the Harmony continues to "sing" or if it goes "flat" and I have to change my "tune".  (Yeah, I know, corny.)

      Kathleen (Kathy) Waters

    • Brett Haydin
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 5, 2013
        Kathy,

        Sorry for the delay with the edits.  Work got ahead of me this week, but I got to your edits finally!

        Just a couple of things to address and you are free to upload.  Your HTML looks great and I especially love the humor.  What an easy and fun report to read!

        <snip>
        Nighttime Termperature Low: Just about the freezing point
        EDIT: “Temperature”

        <snip>
        And this was the night; I was "glamping" on a full-sized blow-up mattress!
        Comment:  Love the term! It's been far too long since I have glamped anywhere myself.

        <snip>
        In other mummy-style bags, this presents a problem as I can easily change positions without waking up and annoying the heck out of myself.
        Edit: As it is written, it sounds like you can twist and turn in other mummy bags, but not the NEMO.  That’s not what you intended, it it?
      • Brett Haydin
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 5, 2013
          Oops... forgot to edit the title...

          Brett Haydin

          "Teamwork: It's amazing how much

          can be accomplished when no one

          cares who gets the credit."

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 5, 2013
            Thanks, Brett! Made the two corrections - that errant sentence should have
            read "can't". I deleted the test file and uploaded the corrected very. See
            you in a couple of months. Really hoping this government shut-down ends
            before my planned trip to Great Sand Dunes next weekend!

            Kathy