Application - Guideline Draft Sunglasses- David Wilkes

  • amatbrewer
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 22, 2013

      Disclaimer

      Please accept my application. My signed tester agreement is on file, I have read BackpackGearTest Survival Guide, version 0609, as well as the BackpackGearTest.org Bylaws, and I intend to meet or exceed all test and reporting requirements.

      Bio

      Biographical Information
      Name: David Wilkes
      E-Mail:
      amatbrewer@...

      Age: 47
      Location: Yakima Washington USA
      Gender: M
      Height: 5' 11" (1.80 m)
      Weight: 175 lb (79 kg)

      I started backpacking in 1995 when I moved to Washington State. Since then, I
      have backpacked in all seasons and conditions and do most of my backpacking alone in the Washington Cascades. I prefer trips on rugged trails with plenty of elevation gain. My basic overnight pack is around 30 lbs (14 kg), not including consumables.

      Product Relevant Information

      Early on I noticed that I had trouble with bright sunlight and/or glair. As a result I started wearing sunglasses as a kid and have worn them ever since. As I got older I found out I needed to wear corrective lenses, but my first pair of prescription sunglasses were not only expensive but I managed to lose them on a backpacking trip less than a month after getting them. So I started wearing contacts. I found with contacts I had even more trouble with glair and that wearing sunglasses with my contacts helps keep them from drying out, so I wear sunglasses even more now. In fact I wear them most of the year and rarely go out the door without a pair.

      These glasses look to be intended for water use but many of the features are ones I look for when choosing sunglasses. I like Polarized lenses, and good ventilation so they don’t fog up as much (important in winter conditions). I also want my glasses to be light and durable (I am not gentile to my sunglasses). Since I wear them so much my glasses also have to be comfortable even when worn for extended periods.

      If I am one of the lucky three who are selected, I would plan to use the glasses all of my outdoor activities. These should include walking, running, driving, X-country skiing (both for recreation and during my duties as a ski patroller), snowshoeing, hiking, and possibly some backpacking. NOTE: due to my involvement on the ski patrol I do not know how many, if any, overnight backpacking trips I will be able to accomplish during the winter months.

      Previous Tests/OR’s

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/amatbrewer

      Tester status page

      OR’s in last 12 Months