Re: [backpackgeartesters] Is anybody home?

  • Nancy Griffith
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 21, 2013
      Hi Kathy,

      I'd love to test composite snowshoes, winter sleeping pad, winter layers (like windproof, water-resistant outerwear that isn't heavy and hot...activewear), down booties, down hat, polarized sunglasses for smaller faces, winter hats, gloves and boots.  At lower elevations I'm also able to test rain gear and trail runners (waterproof?).

      Thanks for asking!

      Nancy
      I just noticed that there are 3 test calls which will be closing on Monday and a total of 4 test apps have been submitted so far (3 for 1 test-sunscreen).  The last test call was canceled because no one applied at all.  There is a ton of stuff that can be up for grabs but I’m wondering if we have any testers who will be applying to test.

      What do you all want to test this winter?  Who’s up for boots?  Who’s looking for backpacks?  Please let me know as it is a lot of work to line up the manufacturers and very discouraging to the test managers, scheduler, etc. to put in the time and effort only to have to tell the manufacturer we couldn’t scare up 3 people for the product.

      Comments?

      Kathy

    • oldhikergirl
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 21, 2013
        Hi Kathy:
        I was not able to apply for the sunglasses because I am testing the Optic Nerve sunglasses. I did apply for the Selk'bag and the sunscreen. I plan to be in the snow in Big Bear a lot this winter so any winter gear would be an awesome excuse to get out and test. Boots, snowshoes, jackets, hats, thermal underwear, sox, pants, hats, gloves, stoves, daypacks, backpacks, anything outdoor related I would love to test. Hope to apply to lots of great gear soon. Thanks for all you do for us.

        > I just noticed that there are 3 test calls which will be closing on Monday
        > and a total of 4 test apps have been submitted so far (3 for 1
        > test-sunscreen). The last test call was canceled because no one applied at
        > all. There is a ton of stuff that can be up for grabs but I'm wondering if
        > we have any testers who will be applying to test.
        >

        > What do you all want to test this winter? Who's up for boots? Who's
        > looking for backpacks? Please let me know as it is a lot of work to line up
        > the manufacturers and very discouraging to the test managers, scheduler,
        > etc. to put in the time and effort only to have to tell the manufacturer we
        > couldn't scare up 3 people for the product.
        >

        > Comments?
        >

        > Kathy

      • agirenkov
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 21, 2013

          Hi Kathy,

          I don't want to speak for everyone, but for me at least, 3 items at a time is more or less my comfort level at the moment.  Since I just submitted an LTR for the Odin Traverse pants, I have a "slot" opening up.  I submitted an application for the sunglasses since those seem to be in worst shape (0 apps as far as I can tell).

          For late fall / winter, I would like to see warm hiking clothes.  For example the Odin pants I just completed would have been an excellent fall / winter item.

        • richardglyon@att.net
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 22, 2013
            Kathy,

            This winter I'd really like to test an insulated WPB jacket, any Dri Down product, heavyweight wool socks, Avy gear, emergency overnight shelter, anything from Brooks Range. And if someone's invented a water bladder system guarantied not to freeze up, that too.

            The group would benefit from a winter tent, winter sleeping bag, and winter base layers. If you can get those, I'll call the Tests.

            Richard

            > What do you all want to test this winter? Who's up for boots? Who's
            > looking for backpacks? Please let me know.
            >

            > Comments?
            >

            > Kathy

          • karguo
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 23, 2013

              Hi Kathy,

              I would be interested in testing down jackets, hats, gloves, wool socks, 3 season tents. For backpacking gear, i use lighter weight gear as much as possible, so the weight of the item plays a role in what I apply for.

              Thanks!

              Kara

              --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, <montana.angler@...> wrote:

              Kathy,

              This winter I'd really like to test an insulated WPB jacket, any Dri Down product, heavyweight wool socks, Avy gear, emergency overnight shelter, anything from Brooks Range. And if someone's invented a water bladder system guarantied not to freeze up, that too.

              The group would benefit from a winter tent, winter sleeping bag, and winter base layers. If you can get those, I'll call the Tests.

              Richard

              > What do you all want to test this winter? Who's up for boots? Who's
              > looking for backpacks? Please let me know.
              >

              > Comments?
              >

              > Kathy

            • Mark Thompson
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 26, 2013
                Okay, so I am a little crazy, but here goes.  My plans are to make a Mt McKinley attempt in 2015 which means that I will be doing some "lesser" climbs in the months to come, such as:
                - Mt Rainier's Liberty Ridge
                - Grand Teton
                - Mt Blanc
                - Kilimanjaro
                - Aconcagua

                Items I would like to test would be ones that have to potential to be taken on these expeditions, such as:
                - expedition tent
                - expedition backpack
                - expedition boots (plastics or similar)
                - down jacket (light weight, top shelf)

                Also, although a little outside our target market, the following toys would be fun:
                - Black Diamond carbon fiber Ice Tools
                - Ice Climbing crampons
                - climbing ropes

                The crazy one....