APPLICATION - Selk'bag Patagon - Coy Boy

  • starnescr
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 21, 2013
      Application to test the Selk'bag Patagon
      According to their sizing selection guide I would need an XL. It would be tall for me but I would be afraid the L would not work, plus the XL should give me a chance to wear more under the bag if needed.   BTW, I wish they offered it in green so I could pretend to be Gumby, but I guess the black will do...

      Applicant: Coy Starnes
      Gender: Male
      Age: 51
      Weight 250 lb. (113 kg)
      Height 6 ft. (1.83 m.)
      E-Mail: starnescr@... (starnescr at yahoo dot com)
      Location: Northeast Alabama (Grant)

      I have read the latest version (v. 0609) of the Survival Guide,especially chapters 4, 5, and 6 and I agree to abide by all rules and requirements set forth. My signed Tester Agreement is on file with BGT. I will meet the minimum nights required (5).

      Brief Bio:
      I am an avid outdoorsman and enjoy hiking, backpacking, hunting, canoeing, caving, and spending as much time outdoors as possible. I live in northeast Alabama where I do most of my backpacking and hiking. I hike solo and with friends and family. I go hiking throughout the year but sometimes wimp out of actually backpacking in midsummer when the heat and humidity make the trail miserable.

      My style is slow and steady. My shelter of choice is a hammock and I usually cook with an alcohol stove. I have made great strides in becoming a lightweight backpacker but I still choose gear with an eye towards comfort and durability. My pack weight is around 25 lb (11 kg) for most summer 2 and 3 day trips. However, in the winter my pack weight climbs considerably, not only in weight but in bulk as well.

      Application
      Hello Mike, I would be happy to help BGT test this sleeping bag. Right now is my favorite time to backpack so the timing of thes test is great!  The only reason I did not apply the second I saw the test call is I have been super busy, a guy a work has been sick and I worked 2 of his 24 hr shifts along with my 2 24 hr shifts last week.  Anyways, what really intrigues me about the Selk bag line in general is the ability to wear it before going to bed.  This could be really handy on chilly evenings when darkthitrty comes early but I dont want to go to bed right then.  Of course as a bonafide hammock user I am always looking for sleeping systems that allow me to get into my sleeping bag without a lot of struggle.  Anyone who has ever struggled to get into a mummy bag while laying in a hammock knows what I'm talking about.

      One thing I think I will like about the new and improved Patagon system is that the booties are removable.  This might be important if camping in an area that has lots of debris on the ground, especially sharp poky stuff.  I could easily wear another shoe until ready to turn in and not risk damaging the booties.

      I will test the bag for the normal stuff like packability, warmth, durability, zipper operation etc but with this design I will also report on how it performs outside my hammock.  Can I cook with a stove with it on?   I'm sure I would need to be a little more careful to keep the sleeve/hand part of the bag well away from any flame and any part of the bag away form any campfire sparks.  So, how well
      does it work for just general lazing around camp? Of course possibly the most important question might be, how easy is it to go to the "john" while wearing this.  Is there a zipper in front for kidney relief...and what about the dreaded # 2... I will be as PC as possible but would report on this important aspect.

      Interestingly, this bag uses the European
      rating system and has an extreme rating of 9 F but a comfort rating of 44 F.  That seems like a big swing in temperatures.  I would be interested in seeing just how cold I can take the bag but I doubt I would spend the whole night cold once I get below my comfort threshold. I know every individual is different so this would be more for my personal use but would report those finding.

      Proposed Test Locations and Conditions
      I usually hike in the southeast (Al, Tenn, Ga and NC). These trails are usually never flat and seldom dry and are often slick when wet. Rocks and roots are everywhere. I hike in all seasons and have done an overnighter in temperatures as cold as 11 F.  Not going to say it was my favorite hike but it was on of my most memorable.

      Test Load: 1

      Carhartt Henley Tee: LTR due Nov 19th 2013

      Here are my reviews.
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/Coy%20Boy

      My test status page is here

      I am currently monitoring 2 test.