Is anybody home?

  • Kathy Waters
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 20, 2013

      I just noticed that there are 3 test calls which will be closing on Monday and a total of 4 test apps have been submitted so far (3 for 1 test-sunscreen).  The last test call was canceled because no one applied at all.  There is a ton of stuff that can be up for grabs but I’m wondering if we have any testers who will be applying to test.

      What do you all want to test this winter?  Who’s up for boots?  Who’s looking for backpacks?  Please let me know as it is a lot of work to line up the manufacturers and very discouraging to the test managers, scheduler, etc. to put in the time and effort only to have to tell the manufacturer we couldn’t scare up 3 people for the product.

      Comments?

      Kathy

    • david wilkes
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 20, 2013
        Kathy,
        Last year I became a Ski Patroler. As such many of my winter weekends and holidays are committed to patrolling and/or training, so I am being very selective about what I apply for during the winter so I can be sure I can commit to enough quality testing time. I am planning to apply for the sunglasses since it looks like that is something I could test while skiing even if I am unable to get much (any?) backpacking time in.

        As for what gear I would apply for this winter? Stuff suitable for snow and/or cold weather camping, stuff suitable for X-country skiing and/or snowshoeing would be awesome:  4 session tents (1-2 person), sleeping bags, mats, winter clothing, avalanche beacons, snowshoes, etc. Right now I am actually in the market for a down sleeping-bag [preferably DriDown] in the 0-15 deg range...hint...hint And maybe because I am an engineer and a nerd, I simply can not resist gadgets and gizmos.

        Hope this is helpful,
        David Wilkes

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 20, 2013

          Hi Kathy,

          I watch all of the Test calls, and I apply only for stuff that I can both really use and honestly evaluate.  So, to answer your question, here's some gear what I wouldn't mind seeing and testing in the coming months - some is specifically winter gear, some not:

          - backpacking boots, especially full-grain leather (usually heavier, stiffer, and higher on the ankle than the most popular fabric boots)
          - sandals, esp. the more robust kind one can hike in
          - lightweight hiking poles
          - winter/snow gaiters
          - winter mittens and gloves with full insulation
          - hat w/ built-in fold-down ear protectors
          - dog pack
          - dog cooling vest
          - field guides and maps (non-electronic)
          - lightweight cook sets (1-2 person)
          - lightweight cook stove (alcohol?)
          - hydration bladders
          - very lightweight 1-person tent (3 season)

          Not sure if BGT does ski accessories, but if so:
          - skins for Nordic skis

          But of course this list isn't only what I'd like to test - I'm sure other gear you've got lined up will pique my interest as well.

          Hope this helps!
          ~Bob Dorenfeld

          --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, <backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          I just noticed that there are 3 test calls which will be closing on Monday and a total of 4 test apps have been submitted so far (3 for 1 test-sunscreen).  The last test call was canceled because no one applied at all.  There is a ton of stuff that can be up for grabs but I’m wondering if we have any testers who will be applying to test.

          What do you all want to test this winter?  Who’s up for boots?  Who’s looking for backpacks?  Please let me know as it is a lot of work to line up the manufacturers and very discouraging to the test managers, scheduler, etc. to put in the time and effort only to have to tell the manufacturer we couldn’t scare up 3 people for the product.

          Comments?

          Kathy

        • Mike Mosack
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 20, 2013
            Hi Kathy,
            I only found two open test calls. Am I missing one on the BGT Admin page? I wondered where all the northern snow bunny testers were that have not applied for the Selk bag. It seems that would be way too warm for me here in So Cal, so I passed on that.
            I like seeing the variety of gear offered for testing and I usually try to pick and choose which I can test appropriately. There are (as you know) strong divides in what people want based on where they live/backpack. Having moved from Michigan to San Diego, I have no longer a need for winter stuff and am much more inclined to look for equipment and clothing intended for warmer/hot climates. I am hopeful that I will be able to do a complete John Muir Trail hike in the next few years, but unfortunately, it’s not going to be very soon.
            Gear ideas I guess might include more...
            lightweight stoves (all varieties)
            Water treatment items
            maintenance equipment – I don’t know where I’m going here but supplies to build/rebuild, restore, fix, manufacture backpacking equipment? I’m open to brainstorming here
            lightweight hiking shoes, sandals – for larger feet too! I think we go through these the quickest of all our gear...
            lightweight / ultra-lightweight gear
            clothing designed/intended for layering options in the field
            Food (dehydrated/ freeze-dried, etc)

            Hope this helps
            Mike

            I just noticed that there are 3 test calls which will be closing on Monday and a total of 4 test apps have been submitted so far (3 for 1 test-sunscreen). The last test call was canceled because no one applied at all. There is a ton of stuff that can be up for grabs but I’m wondering if we have any testers who will be applying to test.

            What do you all want to test this winter? Who’s up for boots? Who’s looking for backpacks? Please let me know as it is a lot of work to line up the manufacturers and very discouraging to the test managers, scheduler, etc. to put in the time and effort only to have to tell the manufacturer we couldn’t scare up 3 people for the product.

            Comments?

          • woodswoman
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 21, 2013
              Kathy,
              I would love to see a -20F (yes, that is minus twenty) sleeping bag..we haven't tested any that low in years. Also winter clothing is always a go and snowshoes. I do sometimes test boots in winter but usually restrict them to snowshoeing or dayhikes as extended trips require warmer boots such as mukluks. The current sleeping bag test call is targeted at 44 degrees..I would freeze to death in that.

              ***Gail***

              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 21, 2013
                Hey Kathy,

                For winter, I'm thinking...
                Winter rated sleeping bags and sleeping mats
                Beanies, mitts, gloves, ski gloves
                Winter clothes (thermal layers) and jackets (shells), down
                Avi gear (beacons, shovels, probes)
                Any backcountry ski gear like bibs/pants, skins, ski goggles
                Poles that come with the snow baskets
                Winter rated stoves (if such a thing)
                Snowshoes and winter rated boots
                Backpacks that are designed for winter activities (accessorized to accommodate carrying avi gear, skins, etc)

                Theresa

                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 21, 2013
                  if you're asking:

                  I'de like to test boots as long as they were fairly lightweight

                  Or wool socks

                  LED headlamp

                  little doodads as long as they don't weigh very many ounces

                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 21, 2013
                    Hi Kathy,

                    I'd love to test composite snowshoes, winter sleeping pad, winter layers (like windproof, water-resistant outerwear that isn't heavy and hot...activewear), down booties, down hat, polarized sunglasses for smaller faces, winter hats, gloves and boots.  At lower elevations I'm also able to test rain gear and trail runners (waterproof?).

                    Thanks for asking!

                    Nancy

                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 21, 2013
                      Hi Kathy:
                      I was not able to apply for the sunglasses because I am testing the Optic Nerve sunglasses. I did apply for the Selk'bag and the sunscreen. I plan to be in the snow in Big Bear a lot this winter so any winter gear would be an awesome excuse to get out and test. Boots, snowshoes, jackets, hats, thermal underwear, sox, pants, hats, gloves, stoves, daypacks, backpacks, anything outdoor related I would love to test. Hope to apply to lots of great gear soon. Thanks for all you do for us.

                      > I just noticed that there are 3 test calls which will be closing on Monday
                      > and a total of 4 test apps have been submitted so far (3 for 1
                      > test-sunscreen). The last test call was canceled because no one applied at
                      > all. There is a ton of stuff that can be up for grabs but I'm wondering if
                      > we have any testers who will be applying to test.
                      >

                      > What do you all want to test this winter? Who's up for boots? Who's
                      > looking for backpacks? Please let me know as it is a lot of work to line up
                      > the manufacturers and very discouraging to the test managers, scheduler,
                      > etc. to put in the time and effort only to have to tell the manufacturer we
                      > couldn't scare up 3 people for the product.
                      >

                      > Comments?
                      >

                      > Kathy

                    • agirenkov
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 21, 2013

                        Hi Kathy,

                        I don't want to speak for everyone, but for me at least, 3 items at a time is more or less my comfort level at the moment.  Since I just submitted an LTR for the Odin Traverse pants, I have a "slot" opening up.  I submitted an application for the sunglasses since those seem to be in worst shape (0 apps as far as I can tell).

                        For late fall / winter, I would like to see warm hiking clothes.  For example the Odin pants I just completed would have been an excellent fall / winter item.

                      • richardglyon@att.net
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 22, 2013
                          Kathy,

                          This winter I'd really like to test an insulated WPB jacket, any Dri Down product, heavyweight wool socks, Avy gear, emergency overnight shelter, anything from Brooks Range. And if someone's invented a water bladder system guarantied not to freeze up, that too.

                          The group would benefit from a winter tent, winter sleeping bag, and winter base layers. If you can get those, I'll call the Tests.

                          Richard

                          > What do you all want to test this winter? Who's up for boots? Who's
                          > looking for backpacks? Please let me know.
                          >

                          > Comments?
                          >

                          > Kathy

                        • karguo
                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 23, 2013

                            Hi Kathy,

                            I would be interested in testing down jackets, hats, gloves, wool socks, 3 season tents. For backpacking gear, i use lighter weight gear as much as possible, so the weight of the item plays a role in what I apply for.

                            Thanks!

                            Kara

                            --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, <montana.angler@...> wrote:

                            Kathy,

                            This winter I'd really like to test an insulated WPB jacket, any Dri Down product, heavyweight wool socks, Avy gear, emergency overnight shelter, anything from Brooks Range. And if someone's invented a water bladder system guarantied not to freeze up, that too.

                            The group would benefit from a winter tent, winter sleeping bag, and winter base layers. If you can get those, I'll call the Tests.

                            Richard

                            > What do you all want to test this winter? Who's up for boots? Who's
                            > looking for backpacks? Please let me know.
                            >

                            > Comments?
                            >

                            > Kathy

                          • Mark Thompson
                            Message 13 of 13 , Sep 26, 2013
                              Okay, so I am a little crazy, but here goes.  My plans are to make a Mt McKinley attempt in 2015 which means that I will be doing some "lesser" climbs in the months to come, such as:
                              - Mt Rainier's Liberty Ridge
                              - Grand Teton
                              - Mt Blanc
                              - Kilimanjaro
                              - Aconcagua

                              Items I would like to test would be ones that have to potential to be taken on these expeditions, such as:
                              - expedition tent
                              - expedition backpack
                              - expedition boots (plastics or similar)
                              - down jacket (light weight, top shelf)

                              Also, although a little outside our target market, the following toys would be fun:
                              - Black Diamond carbon fiber Ice Tools
                              - Ice Climbing crampons
                              - climbing ropes

                              The crazy one....