ANNOUNCEMENT - New Procedures for Processing New Writers

  • Kathy Waters
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 16, 2013

      This is to announce a few changes in the way we process new writers for BGT.

      There has been a new set of “official” BGT lessons for a while now, but they have not made it online. As we run into struggling writers we have sent them the new lessons and writing guides via email and it has worked very well. This led us to try a new way of handling all new writers/reviewers.

      Effective immediately, when a newbie posts their first review Jamie will forward that OR to Ray. He will contact the writer explaining that he will work with them for their first review. He will send the new lessons and work with each for their first review, from start to HTML and uploading. After that they will be back to the normal queue for the rest of their Owner Reviews. They will still need to complete two reviews to achieve tester status.

      This will help BGT in a few ways. It will speed up the process for the writer as they will get the help they may not know/think they need. It will cut a lot of the frustration (hopefully) as everything is spelled out for them.  It will also have every new writer getting the same instructions.

      It will eliminate the Mentor Program and the wait for folks to email a mentor request, get it acknowledged and taken, then contacted and the process started. It will free up mentors to do other BGT LOL (Labors of Love) like monitoring and editing. Ray will not be able to be the Editor for any of the people he is working on first reviews with.

      We want to thank all of the folks that have been working with new writers in the Mentor Program to date. Your hard (and often thankless) work has added many valuable testers to the BGT coffers. Would each mentor please contact me to let me know if they would be willing to monitor tests and/or join our dedicated OR Editors’ Group?

      Thank you!

      Kathy

    • geartest7000
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 16, 2013
        Kathy,

        Will the rest of us be able see the new BGT lessons?  They might be useful to me, and they may also answer some questions I have.  I joined in April but that must have been before the new program went into place.

        thanks,
        ~Bob Dorenfeld

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 16, 2013

          Yes, Bob.  I’m hoping to get them posted as a file in the Yahoo Groups and anyone can ask Ray for a copy.

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 16, 2013

            They are in the Files section of the BackpackGearTest Yahoo group site.

            Ray
          • david wilkes
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 17, 2013
              Kathy,
              I have been debating with myself if I should try to be an editor/monitor for a while now, and eliminating the mentor program kind of eliminates my main excuse for not deciding.
              You have edited some of my reports, I will leave it up to you to decide if you think I am up to it.

              Dave Wilkes