LTR - Helly Hansen - H2 Flow Jacket - Derek Hansen

  • Derek Hansen
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 5, 2013

      My apologies for getting this to you late!

      > http://bit.ly/17SHpvY

      # # #

      I've worn the pants on a few overnight trips and a few day hikes, totaling more than 80 miles (129 km) of backpacking.

      Jul 15-20: Arizona Trail, Arizona. I took our Boy Scout troop on a 50-mile (80 km) backpacking trip (final mileage was closer to 55 mi (86 km) along the Arizona Trail. We had about 1,000 ft (305 m) of elevation gain and very moderate temperatures, thanks to the monsoons.

      July 31-Aug 4: Lake Powell, Arizona. Family vacation on the lake. The temperatures were around 90*F (32*C).

      Aug 9-10: West Clear Creek, Arizona. I backpacked a short 8 mi (13 km) down into West Clear Creek for an overnight hammock camp. The temperature was a pleasant 70*F (21*C).

      Aug 23-24: Marshall Lake, Arizona. The elevation was 6,500 ft (2,000 m). During the night, the temperature dropped into the mid-50s *F (10 *C) and we had drizzly rain all weekend.

      Over the summer, the jacket has been a little too much to wear during the day, but I did use it at night when I wore it to bed to supplement my sleeping system and then in the morning to stave off the chill. I typically could only wear it for about an hour before it warmed up too much.

      I have no complaints about the jacket overall. The material and hardware have all held up well and perform as well as when I first received the jacket.

      My feelings about the weight and "when to pack" the jacket are still up in the air. For an active layer, I find that I heat up too quickly and the venting options aren't enough to cool me down.

      This is a beautifully styled jacket that is looking for a home. I don't think I'll take it out backpacking again, when comparing this to other insulation and wind protection options available to me.

      PRO--Great wear and durability.

      CON--Nothing new.