Application to test - Gerber Outrigger - Andy Henrichs

  • a_henrichs
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2013
      Please accept my application to test the Gerber Outrigger
      Knife. I have read all pertinent information in the Survival Guide, including,
      but not limited to Chapters Four, Five, and Six of the new BackpackGearTest Bylaws,
      version 0609. I will follow all requirements. My tester agreement is on file
      with BGT.

      Biographical Information

      Name: Andrew Henrichs
      Age: 32
      Gender: Male
      Email address: andyhenrichs(at)gmail(dot)com
      City, State, Country: Golden, Colorado, USA

      Backpacking Background

      I have been backpacking for many years and I consider myself a lightweight
      backpacker.  Most of my backpacking has
      been in the mountains of Colorado and the deserts of the southwestern US. In
      addition to backpacking, I also enjoy in rock climbing, backcountry skiing,
      mountain biking, and whitewater kayaking and rafting.

      Test Plan

      If selected for this test, I will bring the Gerber Outrigger
      along on every outdoor adventure.  These
      adventures will include whitewater kayaking, hiking, backpacking, and
      backcountry skiing.  For the next 2
      months, I’ll be doing one of these activities at least once a week.  After that, I will be living up in the
      mountains and will hopefully be getting out for adventures even more
      frequently.

      The first and most important thing I’ll be focusing my
      review on is the blade sharpness and durability.  Does the blade start and finish the 4-month
      test with a sharp blade?  What materials
      am I able to cut and how much effort does it take?  I always have some sort of project I’m
      working on that requires cutting climbing accessory cords or webbing, and those
      will probably be the bulk of my use.  I’ll
      also have to whittle down some sticks for some marshmallow roasting on some of
      my backpacking trips.  I’m sure I can
      find all sorts of other good materials to slice through over 4 months.

      When kayaking, I always keep a spare folding knife in the front
      pocket of my PFD.  If I were to lose my
      main knife in an emergency, I need to have a backup to cut whatever may be
      causing an entrapment issue.  Because of
      this, the spare knife (which would be the Outrigger) spends a lot of time wet
      and may get mixed with river grit and sand.
      I generally remember to air the spare knife out after trips, but I’ve
      forgotten occasionally.  I’ll be
      interested to see how quickly rust develops if I forget to air it out after a
      day on the river.  I’ll also be interested
      to see how any river grit affects the opening and closing mechanism.

      It sounds like this single-handed open/close mechanism is
      pretty smooth and effective.  I strongly
      value ease-of-use for this feature given the increased safety, so I’ll be
      interested to evaluate it personally.

      Finally, I'm interested in evaluating the rubberized
      grip.  I like the concept, and I’m
      interested to see how much of a difference it makes.  I’m also interested to see how durable the grip
      is.  For whatever reason, I feel like
      this could be damaged fairly easily after being tossed in a pack over a couple
      dozen trips.

      My previous reviews can be found at:

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/a_henrichs

      Current Tests:              none

      Test Status Page: http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1239.htm

      Pending Applications: none

      ORs in the last year: 0

      BGT Roles: none

      Thank you for considering my application.