FR - La Sportiva Hyper MID GTX Boots - Alex Legg

  • alexlegg2
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2013
      Here is my FR for the La Sportiva boots.  The text is below and the HTML is at  http://tinyurl.com/mygqnmq Field Conditions:

      I have worn the La Sportiva boots extensively during this period of the review process.  They have been on backpacking trips, day hikes, and all around town.  Some of the trips I have worn them are listed below.

      I wore the boots on a 3-day 2-night trip into Rocky Mountain National Park.  I entered the Wild Basin area through a somewhat unknown trailhead in a nearby town.  I started the trip at just under 9,000 ft (2,743 m) and climbed as high as 11,632 ft (3,545 m).  I wore the La Sportiva boots the entire time through rain and mud in temperatures ranging from 35 F to 55 F (2 C to 13 C).

      I also took the boots on multiple overnight trips to the Indian Peaks Wilderness West of Boulder, Colorado.  The elevation ranged from around 8,400 ft to above 13,000 ft (2,560 m to above 3,962 m) as I made my way up a few large peaks.  I experienced temperatures from 65 F down to 25 F (18 C down to -4 C).

      The boots have been on many day hikes to bag peaks and explore lakes throughout the Front Range of northern Colorado.  Temperatures have ranged from 55 F up to 90 F ( 13 C up to 32 C) and elevations ranged from 5,500 ft to 11,000 ft (1,676 m to 3,353 m).

      Performance in the Field:

      These boots are a lot of fun.  The fact that they are so lightweight allows me to move quickly through the hills.  I have easily put over 100 mi (161 km) on them and they are only showing minor wear.  I haven't had any issues with moisture getting into them unless I was completely immersed in water above the top of the boots.  I have had some issues with the laces falling apart and a serious case of swamp feet when hiking in warm weather.

      These boots have quickly become my go-to choice for day hikes and multiple day trips alike.  They are light enough for quick day hikes, and still sturdy enough to support a load of around 30 lb.  The comfort of the boots is great unless it gets hot outside, then the Gortex feature holds all my sweat inside and the smell becomes terrible.  After many day hikes I have been forced to leave the boots outside for a day or more to calm down the odor.  I normally do not have problems with foot odor, and I can't say that I'm happy about it at this point.  In all fairness I feel that I suspected this could happen with the Gortex boots.  I have experienced very similar issues with other waterproof materials that were so good at stopping moisture that they stopped it from both directions.

      Most of the features of the boots work great.  The tread that concerned me in my initial report has not turned out to be a problem.  In fact, I have found the tread to be awesome and I have zero complaints about it.  The Gortex is great at keeping water out of the boots.  Wether it comes from the rain or I step into the river, I have not had any water get inside unless I overly submerged them above the top of the boots.  The laces on the other had failed me pretty quickly.  They began to unravel shortly after the testing process began.  I had to use some duct tape to stop the separation process, but the laces are so stretched out now that they have to be tucked into the boot.  I originally thought this was no big deal and that I could easily replace them, but due to the very thin size of these laces, none of my local outdoor stores carry them.  This is most annoying considering I live in a hub of outdoor companies in Boulder County, Colorado.  At this point I have just been dealing with the lace issue and have yet to contact La Sportiva to see if they can replace them.  I plan on discussing this issue with them before my Long Term Report is written.

      Other than the laces unraveling, there is some slight separation occurring near the toe rand on the left shoe.  It hasn't gotten bad enough to affect the waterproof feature, but I do have my concerns about the longevity of the boots due to this problem.

      At this point I really like these boots!  I have put them through a lot of dirt, mud, and water and they are holding up better than I expected.  It is surprising to me that such a thin and lightweight boot can be so sturdy.  I look forward to continuing to put them through a vigorous test over then course of the next two months.

      Things I like:
      1.  Lightweight
      2.  Strong
      3.  Waterproof

      Concerns:
      1.  Laces unraveling
      2.  Slight separation near toe rand

      I would like to thank both La Sportiva and BackpackGearTest.org for the chance to test these cool boots!
    • thebootfitters
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 11, 2013
        Alex -- Edits are in the traditional EDIT/Edit/Comment format. Please upload once you have addressed the items below to your satisfaction. It may look like a lot, but really there are several comments and one repeating EDIT. Thanks!

        Christopher

        Comment
        ---I like your selection of photos. They really help the reader understand your use/experience with the boots in different environments, I think. They definitely appear to be getting some good use.

        Comment
        > I wore the La Sportiva boots the entire time...
        ---Even at night in your sleeping bag??? :-p (Just being silly. No need to change anything.)

        Comment
        > I experienced temperatures from 65 F down to 25 F (18 C down to -4 C).
        ---Wow! Temps are dropping pretty far for August. I guess anything can happen at 13K feet, right?

        EDIT
        > The comfort of the boots is great unless it gets hot outside, then the Gortex
        ---I can't recall for sure, but I believe I pointed this out in the initial report too. You have a few other instances below that I'll call out as EDITs as well. GORE-TEX should have an 'e' and be hyphenated. I think the registered trademark name also uses all caps, but unless a mod or someone else supersedes my judgment, I think that using lowercase letters after the initial 'G' is fine.

        EDIT
        > In all fairness I feel that I suspected this could happen with the Gortex boots.
        ---Again, Gore-tex. (And your suspicions are largely founded. It is certainly more common in many boots with w/b membranes.)

        EDIT
        > The Gortex is great at keeping water out of the boots.
        ---Gore-tex.

        EDIT
        > Wether it comes from the rain or I step into the river, I have not had any water
        ---Typo. Should be: "Whether"

        EDIT
        > The laces on the other had failed me pretty quickly.
        ---I suspect you intended to say "on the other _hand_", yes?

        Comment
        > I plan on discussing this issue with them before my Long Term Report is written.
        ---Before I read this line, I was going to suggest exactly this. Please do. And please be sure to post a follow up on this item.

        Edit
        > I would like to thank both La Sportiva and BackpackGearTest.org for the chance to test these cool boots!
        ---I am not sure how widely among the group this distinction is being promoted, but I do suggest using "review" in place of "test," since that is probably a more accurate term for the service we provide. Your call, though. Not a huge deal either way.
      • alexlegg2
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 25, 2013

          Thanks for these edits!  I guess I missed them in the list, but I got the corrections made now!