IR: Soto WindMaster OD-1RX Stove - Mike Curry

  • the_fish_guy
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 30, 2013
      Below is my IR for the Soto stove.  I worked really hard not to be verbose, but I'm feeling like in the process I missed something important, so please let me know if I did! HTML can be found at http://tinyurl.com/CurrySotoIR Mike SOTO WINDMASTER OD-1RX STOVE TEST SERIES BY MIKE CURRY IR August 30, 2013   TESTER INFORMATION   NAME: Mike Curry EMAIL: thefishguy AT hotmail DOT com AGE: 43 LOCATION: Aberdeen, Washington GENDER: M HEIGHT: 5' 11" (1.80 m) WEIGHT: 190 lb (86.20 kg)   I've been backpacking, climbing, ski-packing, bushwhacking, and snowshoeing throughout the mountains of Oregon and Washington for over 25 years. I'm an all-season, all terrain, off-trail kind of guy, and enjoy everything from casual hikes with my children to mountaineering and alpine rock climbing in the Pacific Northwest. While I've carried packs (with winter climbing gear) in excess of 70 pounds (32 kilos), the older I get the more minimalist I become.     INITIAL REPORT              PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS   <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1"  IMAGE CAPTION = "WindMaster Stove (optional 4Flex pot support upper left)">>Manufacturer: Soto Year of Manufacture: 2013 Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.sotooutdoors.com/" LINK TEXT = "http://www.sotooutdoors.com/">> MSRP: None listed Listed Weight: 2.3 oz (67 g) (with Tri Flex 3-prong pot support) Measured weight: 2.3 oz (67 g) Measured stove weight:  2.1 oz. (60 g) Measured Tri Flex 3-prong pot support weight:  0.2 oz (6 g) Optional larger 4Flex pot support listed weight: 1 oz (27 g) Optional 4Flex pot support measured weight:  0.9 oz (26 g)   INITIAL IMPRESSIONS   The Soto WindMaster OD-1RX stove arrived in its retail packaging.  Upon opening, I found inside the stove, a small stuff-sack, the TriFlex 3-prong pot support, and and instruction sheet. The stove is appears very well-made.  The bottom half of the stove appears identical to the original Soto OD-1 stove (which I also tested), and seems to be well-designed out of well-cast and machined components.  The upper half appears equally well made, and looks much like the OD-1 stove only with a longer stem section and the black perforated top is concave instead of convex, and no attached pot supports. The Tri-Flex pot support slides onto the burner, and appears to be made of a spring steel material.  A built-in clip allows it to be stored almost flat, and when released it springs open, ready to snap onto the stove. The optional 4Flex pot support is hinged and spring-loaded, and clips onto the burner.  Support arms on the top flip outward, and the entire support feels very well-made and tooled.  The instructions with it state it is made of stainless steel. My initial impression is that this is a very well-made stove with great attention to detail in construction.   READING THE INSTRUCTIONS   <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2"  IMAGE CAPTION = "WindMaster Stove with Tri Flex pot support attached">>The instructions included both words and pictures.  About half the total instruction sheet area was dedicated to warnings and cautions. While the warnings and cautions were pretty standard for stoves ("Keep the stove away from the reach of children" and "Accessible parts may be very hot," for example) there was one that caught my eye, warning to always carry matches or a lighter as a backup for the Piezo ignition system since "changes in pressure at high altitudes may cause difficulty" with the system.  I don't recall having heard this, and look forward to seeing if I encounter any such problems. A small sidebar gives instructions for high-altitude starting, which essentially say to move it out of the wind and release a small amount of gas, then ignite the stove. The instructions were clear and well written, address cleaning and maintenance, and were easy to understand. The optional 4Flex support had separate instructions included with it that were equally straightforward and understandable.   TRYING IT OUT   I have to admit that I couldn't wait to slap this stove on a canister and fire it up.  The original Soto OD-1 stove is my favorite stove for backpacking and climbing, and I've used it almost exclusively over the past several years.  The only thing I've ever wished could be better is its performance in the wind, so when the WindMaster OD-1RX came out, I couldn't wait to give it a try! Attaching the TriFlex pot support is very straightforward and intuitive.  Slipping one side of the support out from under the retainer clip allows it to spring over, and it slides over the head of the stove with a firm tension.  Screwing the stove onto a canister is simple, and the well-machined threads make it easy. Igniting the stove is a simple process of pressing the Piezo igniter repeatedly while turning on the fuel by turing the adjustment knob (which is a loop of metal wire that folds out for use and in for storage) counter-clockwise.  The Piezo igniter produced a robust spark each time it's pressed, and ignition was a snap. <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3"  IMAGE CAPTION = "Tri Flex support closed for storage">>The flame output on the stove is easily adjusted to almost invisible and barely there to a remarkably substantial flame. The optional 4Flex pot support does create a substantially larger support surface, and it is very easy to attach as well.  It can be stored around the stem of the stove to save space.   SUMMARY   The Soto WindMaster OD-1RX stove appears to be a very well-made stove that is lightweight, compact, and easy to use.  I look forward to testing it in the field. I would like to thank BackpackGearTest.org and Soto for the opportunity to test the Windmaster OD-1RX stove.  My field report will be appended to this report in approximately two months.  Please check back at that time for additional information.  This concludes my Initial report.       This report was created with the BGT Report Generator. Copyright 2013.  All rights reserved.