IR - REI Half Dome 2 tent - Mike Mosack

  • scoutmaster1006
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 29, 2013
      Hello! Here is my IR for the REI Half Dome 2 tent - Pretty jazzed about this one I think! Thanks for your time and edits Mike Mosack   http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/IR%20-%20REI%20Half%20Dome%202%20tent%20-%20Mike%20Mosack/     REI HALF DOME 2 TENT TEST SERIES BY MIKE MOSACK IR August 23, 2013   TESTER INFORMATION   NAME: Mike Mosack EMAIL: mosack@... AGE: 49 LOCATION: San Diego, California, USA GENDER: M HEIGHT: 6' 1" (1.85 m) WEIGHT: 240 lb (109.00 kg)   I've been backpacking for over 30 years, doing solo and group trips, with and without kids. I do day trips, weekenders and week-long or longer trips throughout the year. I backpack in all climates and seasons and in various locations within the USA, to include my favorites being Yosemite and Sierra Nevada, California. I also have worked in Afghanistan for 4 years and rely on my backpacking equipment constantly. I go lighter whenever possible. Quality and reliability of items I carry are paramount to me over price and weight.     INITIAL REPORT      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS   Manufacturer: Recreational Equipment Incorporated also known as REI<<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1"  IMAGE CAPTION = "Actual item tested">> Year of Manufacture: 2013 Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - " http://www.rei.com " LINK TEXT = " www.rei.com ">> MSRP: US $189.00 Listed Package Weight: 5 lb 10 oz (2.55 g) Measured Package Weight: 5.5 lb (2.5 kg) Three season / two person tent Other details: Available colors include - Orange Sky/Redrock and Applemint/Boxwood (green) I am testing the Applemint/Boxwood version. Instruction sheet is sewn onto the outside of the storage bag for easy access Contents include - One tent body - 2.03 lb (923 g) One rain fly -  1.7 lb (767 g) Two tent poles - 8.1 oz (230 g) One ridge pole - 2.7 oz (77 g) Six tent stakes - 3.5 oz (99 g) One pole repair tube - 0.6 oz (18 g) One pole bag - 0.7 oz (21 g) One Stake Bag - 0.3 oz (9 g) Four guylines with fasteners - 1.5 oz ( 43 g) <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 5">> This is a three-season, two-person, single-wall, hexagon-shaped dome tent with a bathtub style floor, opposing/duel entry doors and the ability to set it up as a leightweight version utilizing only the rainfly and (optional) footprint. I should note here that the footprint is not included. This tent sets up pretty much like most dome style tents do, using a specific pole-system. I've included a photo showing this unique feature. <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 6">> The pole-system also is color coded to ease the set up. There are matching color (red and black) sewn tabs to make it easier to match the poles. I've included a photo of this as well. The rainfly is large enough to provide a storage area on each side of the tent body for gear. There is enough room for a backpack on each side and boots as well. When I camp by myself, I keep my pack inside my tent with me, but it's nice to know there's enough room to store it outside too. <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3"  IMAGE CAPTION = "Ample storage room">> The bathtub floor is rectangle shaped which provides equal room for two people. There are two storage loft pockets (see photo). There is also plenty of head-room, even for me when I sit straight up inside. <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 7">>   INITIAL IMPRESSIONS   My initial impression of this tent is that it is a quality item. Just like most tents I've seen, the entire tent breaks down and fits inside its own storage bag. The construction seems very good and there are many features. The zippers run smoothly during both opening and closing. I've covered some of the features already and plan to identify them all throughout the test of this tent. I would prefer to get a footprint with the tent to be able to use it to its full potential, but it is what it is. I don't know of any tents available for purchase that has a footprint included. It'll just be one of my pipe-dreams I guess. <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2"  IMAGE CAPTION = "Complete packaged tent">>   READING THE INSTRUCTIONS   There is a set of instructions sewn onto the outside of the tent storage bag. Although there really aren't any helpful photographs, they seem clear, concise, easy to follow, and provide instructions on how to set up the tent and rainfly. They also describe how to set the tent up in the minimalist version should I desire to set up the rainfly alone with the optional footprint. There is also an instruction card that came with the tent. The card covers Tent Maintenance on one side and Helpful Hints on the other side. There is another instruction sheet sewn into the inside of the tent body. You can see it in the below photograph <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 4"  IMAGE CAPTION = "Instructions sewn inside tent">>   TRYING IT OUT   I've never owned a Half Dome tent before. Even though I have had several dome style tents, I found myself relying on using the instructions during my first set up on my front lawn. It was mostly straightforward.  My only struggling point was the initial set up with the pole system. I've added a couple of photographs of the pole system to assist anyone considering buying and/or setting up this tent. If a picture is worth a thousand words then maybe this will help. The tent went up quickly and once I finished I realized it was easier than I first thought.   SUMMARY   So far, I am quite excited about this tent. I have yet to find any manufacturing imperfections or other issues. The quality of construction seems to be top notch. I like the color I received. I am one who prefers to have a tent that blends into the background. When I am camping I like the feeling of disappearing into the countryside. This tent will certainly help with that. The floor is a rectangle design so there is plenty of room for one person and gear. It appears that two people should also have enough room as well. I'll have my 17 year old son with me to try it out . I like the ability to set this tent up using only the rainfly and (optional) footprint. Being able to leave the tent body at home saves weight which is becoming more important to me as I reluctantly get older. I also on occasion tarp-tent but for those times when the weather really comes in having a full roof will be nice. I can't wait to get started with this tent. I would like to thank both REI and BackpackGearTest.org for allowing me to participate in this test. Please check back in about two months for my Field Report.       This report was created with the BGT Report Generator. Copyright 2013.  All rights reserved.
    • Ray
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 30, 2013
        Hi Mike,

        Good job on this IR. REI makes pretty nice tents, I hope you enjoy testing this one.

        Just a few edits for you. See you in a couple months.

        Ray

        ***Listed Package Weight: 5 lb 10 oz (2.55 g)
        ***Measured Package Weight: 5.5 lb (2.5 kg)

        Edit: as you are comparing the two numbers you should stick to one way of displaying them (lb/oz vs. fractional lb)

        This is a three-season, two-person, single-wall, hexagon-shaped dome tent with a bathtub style floor, opposing/duel entry doors and the ability to set it up as a leightweight version

        EDIT: lightweight

        *** This tent sets up pretty much like most dome style tents do,

        EDIT: you should phrase this to say; like most in your experience, or that you have owned, or such

        ***I'll have my 17 year old son with me to try it out .

        EDIT: delete extra space before the period
      • Mike Mosack
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 30, 2013
          Hi Ray,
          I’ve addressed the edits. The new version is uploaded and the old deleted.
          Thank you for your time. This should be a good test and I am looking forward to it.
          See you in two.