Application to test: Gerber Outrigger - Ray Estrella

  • Ray
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 28, 2013
      Please accept my application to test the Gerber Outrigger knife. I have read the BackpackGearTest.org bylaws v. 0609 including, but not limited to, Chapter 5. I agree to comply with and exceed all requirements.

      Tester Information
      Name: Raymond Estrella
      Age: 52
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6' 3" (193 cm)
      Weight: 220 lb (100 kg)
      Email address: rayestrella@...
      City: Moorhead
      State: Minnesota
      Country: USA
      Date: August 28, 2013

      Backpacking Background:

      I have been backpacking for over 30 years, all over California, and in many of the western states and Minnesota. I hike year-round, and average 500+ miles (800+ km) per year. I have made a move to lightweight gear, and smaller volume packs. I start early and hike hard so as to enjoy the afternoons exploring. I usually take a freestanding tent and enjoy hot meals at night. If not hiking solo I am usually with my brother-in-law Dave.

      Test plan

      Just last month I wrote an Owner Review of a knife very similar to the Gerber, so it can be seen that I use (and write about) knives a lot. I carry at least one on every backpacking trip. I also carry one every single day when not hiking. My new job sees me use one at work for the first time so my knives now get used a whole lot.

      If chosen to test the Outrigger I shall monitor the sharpness of the blade and the continuing action of the Assisted Opening feature. I will see how easy it is to get out. During 3-season hikes I carry this type of knife in my pocket, but once snow hits I carry it in the top of my gaiters. (Right leg, outside.) And yes, I will see snow during the course of the test as our snow season starts next month!

      I know I can get some trips in locally and am regularly winning contests that are allowing me write my own schedule so I will be able to get some 3-day weekends. On those I can take the time to get to the center of the state at least to some better hiking.

      Here is a link to my tester page.

      I have no other apps in at this time. I have two tests underway, both in FR stage. The Tilley Mash-up hat and the Gregory Contour pack.

      My involvement with BGT includes active duty as Director, Editor, Mentor, and Test Monitor.

      I have completed a lot of test series.

      I have written over 12 Owner Reviews in the past year, including a knife review last month.

      My reports and reviews can be found at:

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/rayestrella

      Thank you for your consideration of me for this test,

      Ray