Recreational Eqpt Inc - Flash Sleeping Bag

  • Edwin Morse
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 23, 2013
      IR - REI Flash sleeping bag - Ed Morse

      Gail, Hope I didn't leave too many blunders for you to catch. Looking
      forward to your edits.

      Here below is the text version of my IR. The HTML version should be found in
      the TESTS folder here:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/IR%20-%20REI%20Flash%20Sl
      eeping%20Bag%20-%20Ed%20Morse/

      or here: http://tinyurl.com/me3veb9

      REI FLASH SLEEPING BAG
      TEST SERIES BY EDWIN MORSE
      IR
      August 23, 2013

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Edwin Morse
      EMAIL: ed dot morse at charter dot net
      AGE: 75
      LOCATION: Grand Traverse County, Michigan, USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 8" (1.73 m)
      WEIGHT: 145 lb (65.80 kg)

      I started backpacking in 1979 with two weeks in northern Michigan along the
      Lake Superior shore. My gear was cheap, heavy and sometimes painful. My
      starting pack weight was 70 lb (32 kg) with food but no water. Since then I
      have made one- and two-week trips in Michigan, Maine, New Hampshire and
      Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Florida. Now my pack weighs between
      22 and 32 lb (10 and 15 kg). I'm slowly learning what lighter gear works.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer: Made in China for REI
      Year of Manufacture: 2013
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.rei.com">>
      MSRP: US$259
      Listed Weight: 25 oz (709 g)
      Measured Weight: 26 oz (737 g)
      Other details: The Flash sleeping bag is rated at 32 F (0 C) for men and 41
      F (5 C) for women. It is filled with 8 oz (227 g) of 800 fill power down on
      top and sides and 2.2 oz (62 g) polyester fiber, Primaloft (R) Sport , on
      the bottom. The shell is waterproof breathable fabric on the hood, side
      panels and footbox and Durable Water Repellant ripstop nylon on the top and
      bottom. The bag is light green on the top and bottom while the waterproof
      hood, sides and footbox are a light grey. The inside of the bag is all
      black. There is a hang loop on both top and bottom.

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      I had several thoughts when I opened the box. The 800-fill goose down
      insulation on the top, sides and hood is thick and soft. On the other hand
      the polyester insulation on the bottom is very thin, where my Neoair must
      provide the insulation. The stuff sack is roomy enough to easily stuff the
      bag. The storage sack is about half the size I expected, measuring 18.5 in
      (47 cm) deep with 14 in (36 cm) in diameter. Here is a picture showing the
      storage sack lying on top of the sleeping bag.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "storage sack" IMAGE CAPTION = "storage
      sack">>
      The stuff sack is 14.5 in (37 cm) deep by 7 in (18 cm) in diameter. The next
      picture shows both the stuff sack and the color of the green top and the
      grey waterproof side panel.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "stuff sack" IMAGE CAPTION = "stuff sack">>
      The ripstop nylon top and bottom is light green color while the waterproof
      breathable fabric on the hood, side panels and footbox are a grey color. The
      next picture shows the 8 in (20 cm) wide side panel.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "waterproof side panel" IMAGE CAPTION = "side
      panel">>
      The inside lining is black mini-ripstop polyester. The plastic coil zipper
      is backed by wide anti-binding binding tape. The zipper can be opened from
      either bottom or top. At the top there is a small pocket for the slider.
      There is a hang loop at the hood and another at the footbox. The required
      bedding tag is sewn at the bottom of the bag near the 12.5 in (32 cm) high
      footbox. The next picture shows the bedding tag, the second shows the
      footbox from the bottom end.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "bedding tag" IMAGE CAPTION = "required
      bedding tag">>
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "footbox" IMAGE CAPTION = "waterproof
      footbox">>
      I would assume the bag was manufactured in 2013 except for the small tag
      sewn under the bedding tag with several numbers and "China/Nov 12". On the
      other hand the bottom number could indicate a date of June 13, 2013. Here is
      a picture of that small tag.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "small tag" IMAGE CAPTION = "small tag">>
      There is an elastic cord that goes around the inside front of the hood with
      a cord lock at the right side of the hood. Here is a picture showing the end
      of the elastic cord and the cord lock.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "elastic cord" IMAGE CAPTION = "elastic cord
      and cord lock">>
      This allows me to tighten the hood so just my nose and mouth are uncovered.

      READING THE INSTRUCTIONS

      The only instructions are on the care tag sewn on the inside of the top,
      near the top of the zipper. Here is a picture of the care tag.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "care tag" IMAGE CAPTION = "REI care tag">>
      Essentially it tells me to wash the bag the same as I wash my other down
      bags and quilts.

      TRYING IT OUT

      I have not yet had the Flash sleeping bag out to sleep overnight in a tent.
      I did spread it on the floor and crawl inside. I was surprised when I zipped
      it all the way closed it seemed very roomy inside. I pulled the hood tight
      so there was just room to breathe. I still did not feel restricted.

      The jury is still out on whether I will feel restricted, I've used a quilt
      for the last five years. Perhaps the Flash bag will seem less restricting
      when a cold wind blows through. With the quilt I have to pull it tight all
      around to keep the wind out. Is it possible I can be comfortable in the bag
      with the zipper closed and the hood snug?

      SUMMARY

      The REI Flash sleeping bag has a lot of features that I'm looking forward to
      trying out. With colder weather fast approaching this will be an interesting
      challenge. So far I can see things to like but not many negatives.
      Positives:
      The two-way zipper,
      The hood that can tighten around my face to keep the wind out,
      The light weight, same as my quilt but with added features,
      Temperature rating , is it good or bad? I do have room to add clothing
      layers.

      Negatives:
      I haven't found any negatives yet, perhaps
      Temperature rating , is it good or bad? Will I be warm enough?

      This concludes my Initial Report.
      I would like to thank REI and BackpackGearTest.org for allowing me to use
      and test the Flash sleeping bag.

      Copyright 2013. All rights reserved.