LTR - Artisana - Nut Butter - Brett Haydin

  • campbretter
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 20, 2013
      Jamie,

      Sadly I was not a huge fan of these. My LTR is ready for your edits at: http://tinyurl.com/klfhqdo

      The text version follows as well. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

      Long Term Report

      Field Conditions

      Over the testing period, I brought the Artisana SuperFood Nut Butter packets along on four backpacking trips before running out. I consumed the packets primarily as a snack along the trail on bagels and crackers, but on two occasions I paired them with one of my favorite jams to see how that would taste. After all, I am a sucker for peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, so I thought this would be great.

      My first trip was an overnight to Lake Como, Colorado to hike Little Bear Peak. My friend and I hiked 3 mi (5 km) in to the lake before settling in for the night near the lake at 11,750 ft (3,580 m). Overnight temperatures dipped to about 25 F (-4 C), but the day heated up nicely to about 55 F (13 C), especially by the time we hiked back down to my car! Little Bear Peak tops out at 14,035 ft (4,278 m) and is one of the most challenging "fourteeners" Colorado has. We traveled jeep roads, snow, rock and ice to get to the top but most importantly we made it safe and sound!

      My second trip was a return (overnight) trip to Castle Peak near Aspen, Colorado to hike an adjacent peak. Because of the time of year, we had to hike a bit farther because of the snow but much of the "trail" was a road. We camped near 11,000 ft, (3,350 m) off to the side of the road in a nice clearing. Overnight temperatures were about 40 F (4 C) while daytime temperatures topped out at 50 F (10 C). We missed the summit of Conundrum, but the trail conditions were a mix of snow, ice, crushed rock and some boulder fields. We encountered usual spring weather conditions of sleet, rain and sunshine.

      My next backpacking trip was a 15 mi (24 km) hike along the Colorado Trail to complete section three. I hiked about 5 mi (8 km) in to set up camp and then completed the section the next day. Temperatures were nice with highs near 80 F and lows near 60 F (27 and 16 C respectively). Our elevation was between 7,850 and 8,100 ft (2,390 and 2,470 m) along easy subalpine terrain, which means rocky!

      My final backpacking trip was to the Maroon Bells Wilderness near Aspen, Colorado for an overnight. I had intended to climb Pyramid Peak, but was rained out and ended up hiking along the trails and exploring the terrain leading to the more technical approaches. Despite the rain, it was about 70 F (21 C) during the day down to 45 F (7 C) at night. Most of the hiking was along solid, rocky trails, although there was a mix of more rock than dirt in quite a few spots.

      Observations

      The most striking feature about the different flavors is how vibrant the colors are. I was surprised at how much the color of the butter spreads mirrored the packaging. While upon reflection, spreading a blue-green nut butter over a bagel (pictured at right) was an odd experience. Don't get me wrong, I love food and the healthier the better. A certain amount of color is great and adds to the excitement of the meal, but in this case, the color was a little off-putting for me; mostly the phytoplankton and the blue algae. The other colors I found fascinating and fun to eat.

      As for the flavors, the Goji & Milk Thistle was my favorite. I took this along my trip to the Colorado trail and my first impression was that it was curiously bitter, but in a good way. I had brought along some jelly so later I made a Goji/Milk Thistle and Jelly bagel which was quite satisfying. The two berry flavors were sweet enough to spread on hearty crackers and frankly I wish I would have saved it for a late night snack with wine. The algae and phytoplankton both tasted a little bland to me. There was a hint of the cashews in the background, but not enough to overcome the earthy flavors of the namesakes. Overall, I found 3 out of 5 good enough that I would consider buying. I should point out that none of the flavors were awful.

      I say consider buying because while I enjoyed the flavors, I really didn't feel like they gave me a big boost in energy. My favorite flavor had only 58 calories, which is much lower than other snacks I bring along on strenuous hike, where I burn close to hundreds of calories per hour. I would gladly purchase a box of the Acai Berry, which comes in at over 100 calories per packet. On top of a bagel that provided a nice boost up on Little Bear Peak.

      The consistency of the nut butters left a little to be desired. On my first trip, I was in a little cooler weather when consuming the packets, so I really had to knead the butter in order to spread it. However, on subsequent trips, the butter was at times runny, which made it really difficult to use. While I was kneading them along the Colorado trail, I never felt a stiff resistance, but rather the butter was already soft in the packet. At the Maroon Bells, where I consumed one of the Blue Algae packets, this had the odd effect of having an oily layer spill out first. No doubt this contributed to an "ick" reaction.

      Summary

      Overall, I felt somewhat let down by the Artisana Nut Butter spreads. The combination of flavors, textures and caloric benefit just doesn't live up to what I really look for out on the trail. While I did enjoy some flavors, to be honest I am unlikely to purchase any packets for my future backpacking trips.

      Pros: Organic, healthy and easy to pack along for trips. I enjoyed more flavors than not.

      Cons: Low weight-to-calorie benefit, flavors somewhat odd, and the consistency was runny at times.

      This concludes my report for the Artisana SuperFood Nut Butter packets. I would like to thank Premier Organics, LLC as well as the folks at BackpackGearTest.org for allowing me to be a part of this test series.
    • Jamie D.
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 26, 2013
        Hi Brett,

        I'm sorry these did not meet expectations. I think the picture you chose really speaks to the funky colors of these. Good choice. Your HTML layout looks good. Just one tiny thing to fix, please upload when addressed.
        My edits, suggestions and comments are marked with ## just below a snip of your words.

        Thanks.
        Jamie DeBenedetto
        Artisana Nut Butter Monitor

        You - My favorite flavor had only 58 calories, which is much lower than other snacks I bring along on strenuous hike, where I burn close to hundreds of calories per hour.

        ##Edit – strenuous "hikes"
      • Theresa Lawrence
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 9, 2013
          Hi, Just got back from 3 weeks in Scotland and tried to upload my edits, but unable to .. I think my old report needs to be deleted first .... it's at this location:

          Thank you,
          Theresa Lawrence

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 9, 2013

            Theresa,

            Welcome back!  Three weeks in Scotland must have been amazing!  I’ve deleted the report.

            Kathy