LTR - ARTISANA NUT BUTTER - Theresa Lawrence

  • Theresa Lawrence
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 15, 2013
      Hi Jamie, this was interesting ... and a bit tricky, let me know what you think, thank you for editing.

      Here's the HTML and the text below.

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/LTR%20-%20Artisana%20Nut%20Butter%20-%20Theresa%20Lawrence/

      LONG-TERM REPORT

      LONG-TERM TEST LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      I've taken the Artisana Nut Butter on the following trips:

      - 6 nights car camping in Moab, Utah (cycling and hiking trip)
      - 2 nights backcountry camping in Banff National Park, Alberta (35 km [22 mi] hiking trip)
      - 4 nights backcountry camping in Skoki Valley, Banff National Park, Alberta (65 km [40 mi] hiking trip)

      Weather and temperatures encountered ranged from about 6 C (43 F) to 38 C (100 F) and everything from dry happy sun to cloudy miserable raging storm.

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      This was an interesting test with a lot of new flavors I have never experienced. I'll try to breakdown the experience into the following:

      TASTE: While I love cashews, I did not find the Artisana Nut Butters, which are made from cashew nuts, to be nearly as satisfying on the trail. The sweetness did not taste like a natural sweet, but a contrived sweetness to make strange flavors like golgi milk thistle, phytoplankton and blue algae taste good. For me they all had a sort of odd artificial sweetness that I have found with a lot of foods sweetened with stevia, despite that stevia is a natural root and not an artificial sweetner. My palate might just not be refined enough to appreciate such things. So, while they were sweet, they were not the sweet I would enjoy nor looked forward to. And unfortunately when I was utterly exhausted from hiking, I missed that feeling of anticipating a break with a tasty snack. I found myself longing for everyone else's snack, while pretending to enjoy my new healthy nut butter on bread or crackers. Having said that my favorite flavors were the phytoplankton and
      blue algae because they reminded me of lemon poppy muffins, probably because of the lemon oil, which overpowered everything. My least favorite was golgi milk thistle as it had an unusual bitterness to it that I just didn't like. The acai berry and berry antioxidant were similar to each other and had a sort of cross-flavor mix of fig newton filling and pre-mixed peanut butter and jam (-ish?). Overall the tastes were unusual for my palate and I just couldn't get used to them. And because the flavors were so odd, it was hard to pair them with anything. I chose crackers, bagels and bread, but none of these choices really went well with the flavors.

      COLOR AND TEXTURE: At colder temperatures the butter was like peanut butter (a thick spread), but at warmer temperatures they were quite runny. If I turned my cracker sideways, the butter would just run off. I had more warm days and the runny consistency did not add to the palatability. The colors were also not appealing, the blue green algae was just that in color and same with the green phytoplankton. The others were a dark berry brown colored (acai and berry) and the golgi milk thistle was orange.

      ENERGY PROVIDED: Unfortunately, despite that cashew nuts are full of caloric energy, these were not. The caloric content of the single use packs were 58, 69, 70, 75 and 106 (as listed in the intro), which for trail use was just not enough to give me a much needed energy boost.

      PACKABILITY AND PRACTICAL USE ON THE TRAIL: The single use packets were easy to pack and very light. But, they were quite messy when used. Care had to be used on trail so that the leaky used packets weren't just shoved into a pocket. Nothing that a Zip Loc bag/box couldn't fix, though not as convenient as throwing a used energy bar wrapper in my pocket on the trail. Also, the amount in one packet only gives enough for one cracker or half a bagel, so I found I would need to use 2 packets for one snack sitting, which meant that they didn't last very long.

      SUMMARY

      Overall the taste, texture, colors and consistency unfortunately didn't agree with my palate. The flavors were odd and unsatisfying on the trail after a hard days hike and I didn't find they paired well with crackers, bread or bagels as a spread and alone the taste was overbearing. Furthermore, the energy content was not enough to keep me going on the trail. I do commend the manufacture for using all certified organic high quality ingredients, but unfortunately, I can't say that I will be buying my own supply to backpack with in the future.

      LIKES
      - Easy to pack, very light
      - Certified organic ingredients

      DISLIKES
      - Unusual flavors, textures and colors for my palate
      - Didn't pair well to crackers, bagels or bread
      - Low energy content
      - Small quantity in one packet
      - Messy leftover packets

      This ends the test series for Artisana Nut Butters. Thank you to Premier Organics LCC and BackpackGearTest.org for allowing me to take part in this interesting test series.

    • Jamie D.
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 19, 2013
        Hi Theresa,

        Thank you for getting this in a bit early. Your HTML layout and pics look great. All links are working too. I especially like that you included the pic of your facial expression when trying the flavors. That pics speaks volumes and certainly pairs with your findings.
        Found just a few things to fix, please upload when addressed.
        My edits, suggestions and comments are marked with ## just below a snip of your words.

        Thanks.
        Jamie DeBenedetto
        Artisana Nut Butter Monitor

        You - The sweetness did not taste like a natural sweet, but a contrived sweetness to make strange flavors like golgi milk thistle, phytoplankton and blue algae taste good.

        ##Edit – "Goji" This is misspelled throughout, please fix the others as well.

        ##Suggestion -

        You - For me they all had a sort of odd artificial sweetness that I have found with a lot of foods sweetened with stevia, despite that stevia is a natural root and not an artificial sweetner.

        ##Edit – "sweetener"

        You - Having said that my favorite flavors were the phytoplankton and blue algae because they reminded me of lemon poppy muffins, probably because of the lemon oil, which overpowered everything.

        ##Edit - Having said that,
      • Theresa Lawrence
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 11, 2013
          Ok, successfully uploaded, I must have had biology on the brain when I wrote golgi instead of goji ...

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 11, 2013
            Theresa I hate to do this to you because you just uploaded but I saw one more edit.  For some reason the words "Long Term Report" appear in your main title section at the very top of the page.  That should not be there since it is a combined report.  I just saw that in another persons so maybe it's a report writer glitch??  Please fix ASAP and re-upload.

            Thanks,
            Jamie D
            Nut Butter Test Monitor

            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 11, 2013
              Hi Jamie,

              I can't fix it (or at least I have no idea how). It's the writer - and it seems most of us who use the writer in a basic way have reviews that look like that ... at least that's what I've noticed opening up other reviews on the website ... the only ones that don't appear this way seem to be people that can do fancier report writing ... not me (but, I see I'm not the only one) .. what do you suggest?

              Theresa

              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 11, 2013

                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 12, 2013

                  Shouldn’t be a RW problem.  Make sure the radio button for “combined” is checked and not “long-term”.

                  Kathy

                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 12, 2013
                    Oh Kathy .. I just realized you were talking to Kara about that radio button and not me, sorry, My reply refers to the other problem both Kara and I have, that 'Long Term Report' is the main title at the top of the page ... which seems to be on all my reports posted and you will see the same on yours and johns and others-- just to clarify ... Theresa

                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 12, 2013

                      The LTR at the top is standard and is correct with RW.  But there must be links underneath that for the IR and FR (if a 3-report test).  There is no problem with your report but Kara’s got a problem with her report in the test folder.

                      Kathy

                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 14, 2013
                        That's my bad then.  I didn't realize that was the standard way the RW labels reports.  I just assumed it would say something like "Test Series" or "Combined Report" in the heading not Long-term since it is all the reports in one.

                        No worries then Theresa, you are good to go.

                        Jamie D

                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 14, 2013
                          Cheers, it's all good.
                          Theresa