LTR - LuxuryLite Ultralite Cot - Kerri Larkin

  • Kerri Larkin
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 5, 2013
      Hi Mike,

      Please find following my LTR for the LuxuryLite Cot for your editing pleasure. The HTML can be found HERE, or at: http://tinyurl.com/kgv9qr7

      Thanks in advance for your edits.

      Kind regards,

      Kerri

      LONG TERM REPORT

      FIELD LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      Wow! The Cot has had plenty of use in the last two months as I've done a bit of traveling and camping. First was three nights at my parent's farm where I slept inside the house, but on my Cot. Although it was cold outside, inside didn't get much colder than 12 C (54 F). I was on a carpeted floor, so noise was minimal and the carpet helped keep things a bit warmer, I think.

      Next, was a two night trip to Platypus Flat campground in the highlands of the mid-north coast of New South Wales (Australia). It was pretty cold these two nights with temps around 0 C (32 F) the first night and 2 C (36 F) the second night. The nights were both clear but with heavy dews.

      I then used the Cot for another two nights when staying in a motel (it was way more comfortable than the sofa bed!), with temps around 16 C (61 F) overnight.

      Finally, I used the cot for an overnight camp in Boambee State Forest where again, it was around 2 C (36 F) overnight and very damp.

      Caption: Using a sleeping bag as a quilt.

      PERFORMANCE

      I've grown accustomed to using the Cot now and find it can be reasonably comfortable given that I'm both large of body and a side sleeper. I have found that I need an insulating pad on top of the Cot as I get very cold through the cot fabric, just like in a hammock. A simple closed-cell foam (CCF) pad has been enough to stop that problem when I'm traveling light but a thicker, insulated, self-inflating mattress is the last word in comfort for me.

      The simple CCF pad provides a small amount of extra padding to allow my hips some further comfort, and stops the cold leaking in. For me, the easiest way to 'make the bed' has been to use my down sleeping bag as a quilt over the top of me. I usually sleep with a thermal base layer, a thick shirt and pants, and a fleece jacket over the top. With the down bag over the top I can generally be comfortable down into the -5 C range in a normal bed, however, I started feeling cold at about the 20 C (68 C) when using the Cot alone. The addition of the CCF pad allowed me to be comfortable down to the 2 C (36 F) mark with just my thermals and down bag.

      Using an insulated self-inflating mattress gave me a heap more comfort for my hips and meant I didn't wake with much of a sore back. I have a chronic back problem, as I mentioned above, so this is not a reflection on the Cot that I have a sore back it's rather the opposite. That I could wake without too much pain suggests the Cot is a very good product.

      I've gotten used to sleeping with my arms folded across my chest, or hugging myself when on my side, but still find the side rails dig in a bit if I'm not careful exactly how I lay. As I'm mostly a side sleeper, this was the biggest issue I found, however, the use of a sleeping pad eliminates much of the problem. It may seem a bit crazy to carry the Cot and a sleeping pad, but the level of comfort gained far outweighs the weight penalty.

      I'm pleased to report I've had no further problems with the feet or rods as I'm diligent in my inspection before putting the Cot on the ground. I'm also pleased to say that I haven't noticed the Cot sinking in to the ground as I'd feared it might. I was concerned that poking the poles through the fabric cover of the Cot might cause fraying and tearing, but there is minimal evidence of that so far. In fact, the Cot looks as brand new as the day I first unpacked it. This may be in part due to always using it in a tent with a ground cloth, or in a home environment, but it feels as though this Cot is durable and tough enough that I really don't have to worry about it too much.

      Caption:The LuxuryLite UltraLite Cot fits perfectly in my Double Rainbow tent

      SUMMARY

      In summary, The LuxuryLite UltraLite Cot is reasonably comfortable, practical, easier to set up than a lot of full-sized camp cots I've tried, and stows in to a really small package. Although it does require some strength to set up the bows and feet, it's worth the effort. Some caution is required to ensure the assembly is correct to prevent bending the bows. The cot is super light to move around, and pretty darned light in a pack for what it provides. Some lightness is lost when winter camping due to the need for an insulating layer but there may well be lighter solutions than those I tried. The Cot will give a comfortable night's sleep in a tent or in a guest room, and is just as accomplished in either role. In all, I've been very impressed with the Cot and will continue using it on all trips which require a tent rather than a hammock. I'm also certain it is going to see lots of use as a simple guest bed too.

      That concludes my Long Term Report on the LuxuryLite UltraLite Cot. Finally, I'd like to thank both Cascade Designs Inc and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to test this item.

    • Mike Mosack
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 5, 2013
        Hi Kerri,
        Nice html and photos... Glad you like your cot and it appears you got some good use with it.
        I found a few edits for you.
        They are in the usual format of,
        EDIT – must change
        edit – my recommended change if you agree
        comment – is just that

        “Next, was a two night trip to Platypus Flat campground in the highlands of the mid-north coast of New South Wales (Australia).”

        EDIT – two-night (with a hyphen)

        “I then used the Cot for another two nights…”

        “Finally, I used the cot for an overnight camp in Boambee…”

        EDIT – These two sentences are referring to the “cot” or “Cot”. Used the same way, but one is capitalized and one is not. Please ensure you remain consistent throughout your entire report (IR, FR, and LTR).

        “With the down bag over the top I can generally be comfortable down into the -5 C range in a normal bed, however…”

        EDIT – Please add the temperature conversion

        “I have a chronic back problem, as I mentioned above, so this is not a reflection on the Cot that I have a sore back it's rather the opposite.”

        EDIT – “…so this is not a reflection (of) the Cot that…

        “That I could wake without too much pain suggests the Cot is a very good product.”

        edit – To me, this reads oddly. Might I suggest, “The fact that I could wake without too much pain suggests the Cot is a very good product.”

        “I'm also pleased to say that I haven't noticed the Cot sinking in to the ground as I'd feared it might.”

        edit – “in to” reads better as “into”

        “The LuxuryLite UltraLite Cot is reasonably comfortable, practical, easier to set up than a lot of full-sized camp cots I've tried, and stows in to a really small package.”

        edit – “into” same as above…

        “The Cot will give a comfortable night's sleep in a tent or in a guest room, and is just as accomplished in either role”

        EDIT – The Cot will give a comfortable night’s sleep…” is projection. I would reword this to something like, “The Cot gave me a comfortable night’s sleep…” or something similar.

        So That’s all I could find. Go ahead and upload when you’re ready and remember to delete the test file copy. Thanks for an easy test series and see you next time!
        Mike