IR - Bushnell NatureView Binoculars - Katie Montovan

  • sull0294
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 5, 2013
      Hi,

      I am sorry that it has taken me a while to post the IR. I had unavoidable work travel that snuck up on me and had me out of town for the better part of the last week. Anyways. . . here is my initial report for the Bushnell NatureView binoculars. The html is in the test folder: http://tinyurl.com/mhul392 and the text version has been pasted below.

      I look forward to testing these great binoculars!

      -Katie

      Bushnell NatureView Binocular

      Test Series by Kathryn Montovan
      INITIAL REPORT <#IR>: July 27, 2013

      Tester Information

      Name: Kathryn Montovan

      Biography:

      I have been backpacking, climbing, kayaking, canoeing and winter
      camping for over 12 years. My excursions are mostly weekend and
      occasionally weeklong backpacking and kayaking trips in the wooded
      and often wet, rolling terrain of western New York, and the
      mountains of western New England. I usually tarp camp with a small
      to large group and love to cook fun and delicious foods on my trips.
      In general, I strive for a compact and light pack and value
      well-made and durable gear.

      E-Mail: sull0294(at)gmail(dot)com
      Age: 30
      Location: Groton, New York USA
      Gender: F
      Height: 5' 5" (1.65 m)
      Weight: 150 lb (68 kg)

      INITIAL REPORT

      Product Information and Specifications:

      Manufacturer: Bushnell
      Year of Manufacture: 2013
      Manufacturer's Website: http://bushnell.com
      MSRP NA
      Listed Weight: 17.3 oz (490 g)
      Measured Weight (binoculars with strap and lens covers): 18.9 oz (536 g)
      Measured Weight of Case: 2.8 oz (79 g)
      Measured Size: 6.625" x 5" x 1.875" (16.8 x 12.7 x 4.8 cm)
      Magnification X Obj Lens: 6 x 30mm
      Close Focus: 9 ft (2.7 m)
      Lens Coating: Fully Multi-Coated
      Field of View: 419 ft at 1000 yards (140 m at 1000 m)
      Exit Pupil: 5 mm
      Included: Binoculars, lens caps, neck strap, slightly padded fabric case,
      instruction booklet

      Product Description

      The Bushnell NatureView 6x30mm Binoculars are small but highly effective
      binoculars. Included int he package is a neck strap that attaches to the
      side of the binoculars, lens caps (the ones over the viewing end attach
      to the neck strap), a lightly padded fabric case, and a soft lens
      cleaning cloth. These binoculars have an adjustable distance between the
      lenses to account for different interpupillary distances. According to
      the manufacturer directions I moved the barrels closer together and
      further apart until I saw a single circular field.

      The eye caps twist-up to adjust the length for "comfort and to exclude
      extraneous light". The directions recommend that glasses users adjust
      the eye caps to their shortest setting to decrease the distance between
      the binoculars and the eyes. The NatureView binoculars have a diopter
      setting feature which adjusts for individual eye strength. To set this
      properly, the manufacturer recommends covering the lens with the diopter
      adjustment, then using the center focus knob to focus on a far away
      object. When focus is achieved, cover the other side of the binocular
      and adjust the focus using the diopter adjustment to make the same
      object clear for the other eye. Once I did this step I was able to look
      through both sides and adjust the focus for objects at different
      distance by only adjusting the center focus knob.

      The NatureView binoculars come with a neck strap that inserts into strap
      lugs on each side. I found that the strap was difficult to insert into
      the strap lugs because it is slightly too wide. I needed to use a strong
      needle to catch the end and pull it through and then it was difficult to
      move it through the lug to get the proper strap length. The version of
      NatureView binoculars that I am testing (6 x 30mm) is not compatible
      with a tripod.

      Initial Impressions

      The NatureView binoculars have a good weight and nice rubberized
      textured grips that make the binoculars easy to hold securely. They
      appear to be carefully designed and constructed. The included carrying
      bag fits the binoculars well and seems sturdy enough to hold up to a
      fair amount of use. It also has an adjustable strap for easier carrying.
      The size is small enough to easily carry along on a hike and the carry
      strap and protective case help make the binoculars more portable. The
      view through the binoculars is clear, crisp and well lit.

      Trying It Out

      When I was younger I remember trying to use binoculars and being very
      frustrated when I could not focus them and could not find what I was
      looking for through the binoculars. I have never successfully used
      binoculars before and have to say that I am thoroughly impressed with
      how easy these NatureView binoculars are to setup and use. The image is
      very clear and I was able to focus on and clearly see everything within
      sight of my house. The level of clarity, detail and image size are all
      highly impressive to me. I inspected the pine needles and peeling paint
      on the house across the street and down the hill, looked closely at the
      bark of my neighbors trees, and could also focus clearly on objects
      fairly close to myself. The images were crystal clear and the focus was
      very easy to adjust. I need to go to a more open area to test out the
      longest distance capacities of these binoculars but so far am pleased
      with their performance.

      Summary

      I am very excited to use the NatureView Binoculars. They are clear,
      crisp, easy to focus and fun to use. I look forward to observing
      wildlife from afar in a way that feels much closer. I also think that
      these binoculars could be very helpful when scouting on camping trips to
      help identify faraway markers and landmarks.

      I would like to thank Bushnell and BackPackGearTest.org for the
      opportunity to test the NatureView Binoculars. Please check back in 2
      months for my field report.