Re: [backpackgeartesters] EDIT - FR Scarpa Rapid LT - David Wilkes

  • david wilkes
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 2, 2013
      Thanks for the edits, I will get them done this weekend. Sorry to disappoint you but the snake story is just not all that good. The Umptanum Creek trail is often referred as Rattlesnake Alley. That day there were many families and dog walkers on the trail and I was trying to go my good deed by moving the snakes I ran across off the trail and warning the folks I ran into. This particular snake was a bit suborn and did not want to leave the trail. It took me about 10min to convince it to move along and in the process I just could not help but take that picture.
      Next weekend I will be clearing logs and doing trail maintenance on the PCT.

      >________________________________

    • david wilkes
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 4, 2013
        Thanks for the edits. Changes made, new file uploaded, and copy in the test folder deleted. Looking forward to next weekend, 3 days of trail maint on the PCT! See you in two months.

        Dave

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 30, 2013
          Below is the text from my LTR for your enjoyment (I hope). You will find the HTML in the test folder at http://tinyurl.com/pynahjp
          I like tests that surprise me and this one did, it also helped to remind me of why I normally avoid testing shoes/boots; my feet are just too hard to fit.
          I look forward to your edits and comments.

          Dave

          Usage: One abbreviated 15mi (24 km) weekend hike of the William O’Douglas trail Central Washington

          This test along with my summer has come to an end already. My how time flies

          My schedule allowed for only one more weekend trip with these shoes during the LTR phase. I wanted it to be a good one so I decided to do a trip I have been thinking about for a while now. I put my pack on and walked out my front door. The William O’Douglas trail passes about 2 miles (3 km) from my house. Last year for its official opening I hiked from the official trail head to the first place to camp, and it ended up being a 26 mile (42 km) slog in the rain. This year, starting from my house shortened the distance a bit and the forecast was for the rain to hold off till evening. The first 3 miles (5 km) or so were urban hiking on pavement and concrete, followed by a stretch of dirt/gravel road and then to a mix of dirt and river rock when I entered the canyon (an old rail line converted to a trail). The next phase was a mix of basalt and dirt trails that climbed up over Rocky Top and Snow Mountain and I put on my light gators to keep debris such as the Cheat Grass out of my shoes. From the summit of Snow Mountain (about 12 mi/ 19 km from the start) I could see the parking lot at the base of Snow Mountain Ranch and I realized that I was quite tired and my feet hurt. 3 slow tortuous miles (5 km) later, by the time I reached the Snow Mountain Ranch parking lot and GPS showed I still had about 5 mi (8 km) to go, not to mention the possibility of having to climb an elk fence if I could not find the gate, I decided I was done and called my wife to come pick me up.

          The results of this were quite a surprise to me. Based on my use until now, the one thing I did not anticipate on this trip was any problem with my feet. But I think it was one of the things I like about these shoes, the thin soles, which were the problem. When I made this trip last year I had one large blister on one heel and a hot spot on the other that I had to address before I could finish. This trip I did not even experience as much as a hot spot, but the pounding of the urban section combined with the constant flexing from the uneven trail were just too much for my feet to take. On the positive side, the trip ended up being warmer than I expected, to the point where I got a bit sun burned, but the ventilation of the shoes allowed my feet to stay cool and dry. Which I am sure is part of the reason I got no blisters or hotspots.

          Overall I have mixed feelings about these shoes. I like that they are light and breathe well. I love how the thin soles give me a good feel for the terrain I am walking on, and the convertible heel allowing them to be used as slip on camp shoes is a cool feature. I also like the traction the soles provide. This makes the poor fit for my feet all the more disappointing, since if they fit better I know these would have become my go to shoes, and I would probably wear them out from constant use (hiking and daily wear) rather quickly. So I would certainly recommend these shoes to friends and family, with the caveat that they try them on and be sure they fit their feet before purchasing.
        • david wilkes

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 5, 2013
              David,

              I am sorry that these didn't work out for you in the end, and that the end of summer snuck up and you were't able to use them as much as you would have liked.  Only one minor thing to correct and you can upload at will.

              It was great working with you on this series!

              <snip>
              I decided I was done and called my wife to come pick me up.
              Comment: Haven’t we all been there?

              <snip>
              This concludes my  report. I would like to thank the folks at Scarpa and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to test this product.
              EDIT: Please change the name to "SCARPA" (all caps)

              Brett Haydin

              "Teamwork: It's amazing how much

              can be accomplished when no one

              cares who gets the credit."
            • david wilkes
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 8, 2013
                Made the change, uploaded, and deleted the copy in the test folder.

                Thanks for everything.

                Dave

                On Saturday, October 5, 2013 8:26 AM, Brett Haydin <bhaydin@...> wrote:
                David,

                I am sorry that these didn't work out for you in the end, and that the end of summer snuck up and you were't able to use them as much as you would have liked.  Only one minor thing to correct and you can upload at will.

                It was great working with you on this series!

                <snip>

                I decided I was done and called my wife to come pick me up.

                Comment: Haven’t we all been there?

                <snip>
                This concludes my  report. I would like to thank the folks at Scarpa and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to test this product.
                EDIT: Please change the name to "SCARPA" (all caps)

                Brett Haydin

                "Teamwork: It's amazing how much

                can be accomplished when no one

                cares who gets the credit."