IR - GREGORY CAIRN 58 PACK - Theresa Lawrence

  • Theresa Lawrence
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2013
      To Mystery Monitory, here is my IR ... thanks in advance for your edits.

      HTML is here:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/IR%20-%20GREGORY%20CAIRN%2058%20PACK%20-%20Theresa%20Lawrence/

      Text is here:

      GREGORY CAIRN 58 BACKPACK
      TEST SERIES BY THERESA LAWRENCE
      IR
      July 31, 2013

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Theresa Lawrence
      EMAIL: theresa_newell AT yahoo DOT com
      AGE: 35
      LOCATION: Sparwood, British Columbia, Canada
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 8" (1.73 m)
      WEIGHT: 125 lb (56.70 kg)

      I have more than 15 years of backpacking experience. Day hikes and 2-3 day backpacking trips take place on most weekends throughout the year while longer trips are only occasional. I backpack predominantly in mountain terrain (Coast Range, Cascades and Canadian Rockies) with the goal of summiting peaks. Activities I use my gear with include mountaineering, ski touring, rock climbing, kayaking, biking, trail running, Search and Rescue and overseas travel. I like my gear to be reasonably light, convenient and simple to use though I would not claim to be a lightweight hiker.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer: Gregory Mountain Products
      Year of Manufacture: 2013
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://gregorypacks.com">>
      MSRP: not available
      Listed Weight: 3 lbs 15 oz (1.79 kg)
      Measured Weight: 4 lbs 3 oz (1.90 kg)
      Sizes: XS, S, M
      Listed Volumes: XS (56 L), S (58 L), M (60 L)
      Listed Torso Lengths: XS 14-16 in (35.6- 40.6 cm), S 16-18 in (40.6-45.7 cm), M 18-20 in (45.7-51 cm)
      Intended Load Limit: 45 lbs (20 kg)
      Colors: Magnetic Grey, Teal Green, Hibiscus Pink
      Size and Color Tested: M - Magnetic Grey
      Warranty: lifetime guarantee of manufacture workmanship defects

      Product Description (obtained mainly from the website):

      The Gregory Cairn 58 backpack is designed specifically for women with the intent of good fit, comfort,  lightweight construction and packing organization. The pack is made out of 420D and 100D Robic fabrics with UTS coating, which is supposed to give the highest strength to weight ratio. The pack is designed with a lot of unique features such as the highly water resistant roll top closing top pocket with waterproof zipper and sealed seams. The pack boasts Gregory's Response LT suspension and Response LT formed auto-fit waist belt with ventilated channels on a Wishbone Wire frame with a harness of Monobond Architecture featuring thermo-bonded, four layer construction. That was a mouthful. Moving on to Gregory's new Trail Smart Packing System, this pack is divided into 3 functional sections for Camp, Trail and On-The-Go items. Other features include a rain cover, external hydration sleeve attached to the internal frame (sounds like an oxymoron and is
      definitely unique), side stash security pocket, large front dump pocket, dual waist belt pockets, two stage compression on lower bag and over main top opening and clip for hydration hose (right side only).

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      My first impression of the Cairn was that it was pretty sleek looking in color and design and is very light. Previous Gregory packs I've owned (years and years ago) were very heavy, nice bags though. So, I was much impressed that despite all the added features, pockets, zippers, etc. it remains lightweight. That is the next thing, this bag is full of surprises, pockets and hidden areas all over, which also lends itself to being the most confusing pack I've ever seen. All that means is that I don't just throw all my stuff into one big sack, everything will have a home when I'm done figuring it all out.

      Upon discovering, I've found 2 pockets on the belt, a pocket for the rain cover on the bottom, 2 big side pockets with an elastic neck (thankfully not mesh), a zippered pocket lies behind one side pocket (the other side has a zipper going into the main body), a big dump pocket is found on the back and behind this hides a zipper access into a large area which is separate from the main body. The zippered access has a zippered mesh pocket on its underside and inside this large separate area is a large mesh pocket making another separate area to keep from losing things. The main body is top access, with drawstring, and separate from this next to the frame is the hydration sleeve. Finally there is the top pocket with the roll top closure with a zippered pocket on its underside. I am hoping this bag will have enough storage options for me, I'm not sure that it will (sarcasm).

      There are tool loops on one side and a bungee type cord and clasp to fix said item(s) in place, but there are also some loops attached to the bottom compression buckles (area that can hold extra gear externally like a sleeping pad). I'm not sure they are ice axe loops, but maybe they can be used as such, though there aren't any corresponding fixtures on top that would hold it in place. However, there are multiple compression straps and quick-closures in the vicinity, I'm sure can double as such ... something to test later.

      There's a lot of quick-closures and some seem unnecessary, like the two on the bottom that seem to connect just to compress the sack vertically. Certainly one can store something in there like a sleeping mat, but I'm sure the same thing can be achieved with compression straps alone that don't come undone. The front drop pocket has 3 quick-closures and there are 2 more on each side for compression straps, one on the top access, but oddly the roll top closure doesn't have any. It just rolls then cinches down with compression straps that don't come undone ... this one's quite interesting, I'm curious how this will work on the trail.

      Trying on the pack, while it's not fully loaded, is very comfortable so far. The frame isn't adjustable, however, with the different torso sizes available, options are provided for different sized people. The medium fits my torso perfectly it would seem. The shoulder straps adjust easily, as does the hip belt. The chest sternum strap has several height options, which is easily adjusted with a metal clasp that secures to different heights along the shoulder strap.

      I'm somewhat disappointed with how small the hip belt pockets are, I can just barely get my small camera in there. It's such a tight fit, that I may have to find a new spot for it because it takes some effort to get it in and out ... I'll see, I have hunch there may be another pocket option I can try.

      SUMMARY

      Well I'm excited and looking forward to loading this Cairn up and taking it into the backcountry to see how all these unique features can be used and abused (of course I wouldn't do that). If all works well, it will make my life easier on the trail, here's hoping. See back in about 2 months to see how it goes.

      LIKES
      - Lightweight
      - Lots of pockets, organizing features
      - Attractive pack
      - Fits comfortably, great adjustability of waist and shoulder straps (not yet loaded though)

      DISLIKES
      - Small waistbelt pockets (too small for a small digital camera)

      Thanks to Gregory Mountain Products and BackpackGearTest.org for allowing me to take part in this test series.

      Copyright 2013.  All rights reserved.

    • Michael
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 17, 2013
        Hi Theresa!
        Nice to see you again. Apologies for the lateness of your edits. I found a few for you to look at. I like your photos. Nice report.
        The edits are in the usual format of
        EDIT - must change
        edit - my recommended change if you agree
        comment is just that

        So here we go...

        "Warranty: lifetime guarantee of manufacture workmanship defects"
        EDIT - I know what you mean here, but it reads like the manufacturer guarantees there will be defects. Might I suggest switching [of] for [from], "Warranty: lifetime guarantee [from] manufacture workmanship defects

        "The pack is made out of 420D and 100D Robic fabrics with UTS coating, which is supposed to give the highest strength to weight ratio."
        comment – What is UTS coating? Maybe a brief explanation would help.

        "Other features include a rain cover, external hydration sleeve attached to the internal frame (sounds like an oxymoron and is definitely unique), side stash security pocket, large front dump pocket, dual waist belt pockets…"
        EDIT – (dual waistbelt pockets) You're basically taking this straight from the MFG's website anyway so I think it should match how they listed this feature.

        Continuing the above sentence - ", two stage compression on lower bag and over main top opening and clip for hydration hose (right side only)."
        EDIT – two-stage (with a hyphen) which is also in line with the mfg description

        "Upon discovering, I've found 2 pockets on the belt, a pocket for the rain cover on the bottom, 2 big side pockets with an elastic neck (thankfully not mesh), a zippered pocket lies behind one side pocket (the other side has a zipper going into the main body), a big dump pocket is found on the back and behind this hides a zipper access into a large area which is separate from the main body."
        Edit – Two here – Upon discovering, I've found… I would remove one of these as you are saying the same thing twice. On that note, these are features the mfg designed and included into this pack not really something you discovered, or found. The other is that this sentence is quite long and I think it really needs to be split up into multiple sentences.

        "The zippered access has a zippered mesh pocket on its underside and inside this large separate area is a large mesh pocket making another separate area to keep from losing things."
        Comment – this is a little hard to follow – I understand there are a LOT of pockets but to try to describe each of their specific location in relation to each other it can be confusing when we readers do not have the pack in front of us.

        "See back in about 2 months to see how it goes."
        EDIT – See back…?

        "- Small waistbelt pockets (too small for a small digital camera)"
        Edit – "a" digital camera or "your" camera… Maybe include the make/model of your digital camera as there are numerous sizes out there and others "might" fit or at least give a size comparison reference for the reader.

        That's all I found. Go ahead and upload when you're ready and see you in about two months! Have fun with the pack.
        Mike

        --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, Theresa Lawrence <theresa_newell@...> wrote:

        > To Mystery Monitory, here is my IR ... thanks in advance for your edits.
        >
        > HTML is here:
        > http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/IR%20-%20GREGORY%20CAIRN%2058%20PACK%20-%20Theresa%20Lawrence/
        >

        > Text is here:
        >
        > GREGORY CAIRN 58 BACKPACK