FR Scarpa Rapid LT - David Wilkes

  • david wilkes
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 30, 2013
      Below is the text for my FR. You will find the HTML in the
      test folder at http://tinyurl.com/l73rx4a
      As is all too often the case life happened and I did not get
      as much use as I had intended, but I have two more trips planned before the end
      of the LTR (one will involve a 23+ mile day) and I am looking forward to using
      these shoes on those trips.
      I kind of rushed through this so I hope I did not miss too
      many mistakes. Thanks in advance for the edits.

      David Wilkes
      Use
      Umtanum Creek - Central Washington - backpacking 1 night
      Unknown trail in the Central Washington Cascades –
      backpacking 2 nights
      Mt Adams - Washington Cascades – Alpine climb, 1 night
      White Pass – Washington Cascades (cross cut saw training
      with the Pacific Crest Trail Association) – Car camping 1 night.
      My first trail use of the shoes was for a quick overnight at
      a nearby canyon. I chose this area for the diverse terrain. The trail is mostly
      dirt with two stream crossings. After the short hike to my camp, about 2 miles
      (3 km) I set up camp and headed off trail up one of the side gullies where I
      knew I would find basalt and some loose talus. The shoes did very well on the
      loose talus, so much so that I could not help dropping my pack and trekking poles
      to scramble up a steep section of basalt. They did well griping the rock so
      much so that by the time I turned around and realized how steep the climb had
      been I was a little worried about being able to down climb back to the trail.
      On the hike out the next day I got a bit over confidant about the shoes grip on
      some wet rocks and ended up slipping a bit getting my foot soaked. This turned
      out to be advantageous. The shoes breathe well and by the time I reached my car
      my sock was almost dry.
      I was heading up to a lake  I had heard about, but ended up taking an unmarked trail to avoid a dangerous
      stream crossing. The trail, mostly dirt, had clearly not seen a pair of boots
      for at least a year or two. I had to deal with a few muddy trail crossings,
      climbing over, around, and under many downed trees and at one point accidently wandering
      into a bit of a swamp. On the hike in I tried to keep my feet dry but was only partially
      successful. After exploring a few scenic meadows I backtracked to the one I
      liked most and set up camp. I spent the second day exploring the meadows & surrounding
      forest and just sitting on a log near my camp to enjoy the solitude and views
      of the surrounding ridges. On the hike out I made a little less effort to keep
      my feet dry.
      I debated taking the shoes with me to Mt Adams. The weather
      had been exceptionally warm so I expected to be in soft snow for most of the
      trip to our camp. However based upon how quickly they allowed my socks to dry
      on my previous trip I decided to risk it. Soon after getting on the road I had
      to untie the shoes, as with my previous experience the tight fit across the
      middle of my foot caused my feet to ache. The snow turned out to be more solid
      than I expected but the weather very warm so while my feet did get damp, but
      the shoes dried quickly so that was not a problem. At camp the folding heel really
      came in handy. After arriving at camp I changed my socks, folded the heel of
      the shoes down and used them like slippers around camp and even for the rocky
      hike to the nearest running water. The next afternoon after returning from the summit
      I put the shoes back on and while the first part of the trail was in soft wet snow,
      my feet were dry by the time we got back to the trail head where I simply
      untied them again for the long drive home.
      I was looking forward to wearing these shoes for the
      crosscut saw training I was attending as I expected their weight, breathability
      (it was going to be quite hot), and maneuverability to be advantages. However
      at the last minute we were informed that all leather boots that extend above
      the ankle was a requirement, meaning I could not use these shoes during the
      training. Half a day in class then the rest sweating and swatting mosquitoes
      while learning to handle a cross cut saw left me aching for some time on the
      trail. So after diner I put on the Scarpa shoes and hiked up the White Pass ski
      maintenance trail. Alone on the hill, with a full belly and comfortable shoes,
      while the hot day turned into a cool night; I was a happy man and slept well
      despite the bugs attacking me with a vengeance at about 4AM.
      Not being able to wear these shoes when not actively walking
      is about the only thing I can find wrong with the shoes. They are very
      comfortable while on the go, and I have been describing them to friends as
      working like compression ware for my feet. They are so breathable that they
      keep my feet cool, and while they allow my feet to get wet with a good pair of
      socks they dry quickly. The thin low rise sole gives me a good feel of the
      trail, being that I prefer to be barefoot when I can this is something I really
      appreciate.

      Likes
      Widely spaced lugs
      Lightweight
      Customizable fit (due to lace configuration)
      Low drop
      Dislikes
      Tight across the top of my foot

    • Brett Haydin
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 2, 2013
        David,

        One of these days I will make it up to your neck of the woods as it looks awesome. Well, here are your edits, and you can feel free to upload when you have addressed the edits. I can't wait to see more pictures, and I was totally looking forward to the story about the snake! Oh, the suspense!

        -Bretter

        <snip>
        They did well griping the rock so much so that by the time I turned around and realized how steep the climb had been I was a little worried about being able to down climb back to the trail.
        EDIT: please change �griping� to �gripping�

        <snip>
        I was heading up to a lake I had heard about, but ended up taking an unmarked trail to avoid a dangerous stream crossing.
        EDIT: there is an extra space after lake.

        <snip>
        So after diner I put on the Scarpa shoes and hiked up the White Pass ski maintenance trail.
        EDIT: please change �diner� to �dinner� and �Scarpa� to �SCARPA�

        <snip>
        The thin low rise sole gives me a good feel of the trail, being that I prefer to be barefoot when I can this is something I really appreciate.
        EDIT: please change �low rise� to �low-rise�

      • david wilkes
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 2, 2013
          Thanks for the edits, I will get them done this weekend. Sorry to disappoint you but the snake story is just not all that good. The Umptanum Creek trail is often referred as Rattlesnake Alley. That day there were many families and dog walkers on the trail and I was trying to go my good deed by moving the snakes I ran across off the trail and warning the folks I ran into. This particular snake was a bit suborn and did not want to leave the trail. It took me about 10min to convince it to move along and in the process I just could not help but take that picture.
          Next weekend I will be clearing logs and doing trail maintenance on the PCT.

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 4, 2013
            Thanks for the edits. Changes made, new file uploaded, and copy in the test folder deleted. Looking forward to next weekend, 3 days of trail maint on the PCT! See you in two months.

            Dave

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 30, 2013
              Below is the text from my LTR for your enjoyment (I hope). You will find the HTML in the test folder at http://tinyurl.com/pynahjp
              I like tests that surprise me and this one did, it also helped to remind me of why I normally avoid testing shoes/boots; my feet are just too hard to fit.
              I look forward to your edits and comments.

              Dave

              Usage: One abbreviated 15mi (24 km) weekend hike of the William O’Douglas trail Central Washington

              This test along with my summer has come to an end already. My how time flies

              My schedule allowed for only one more weekend trip with these shoes during the LTR phase. I wanted it to be a good one so I decided to do a trip I have been thinking about for a while now. I put my pack on and walked out my front door. The William O’Douglas trail passes about 2 miles (3 km) from my house. Last year for its official opening I hiked from the official trail head to the first place to camp, and it ended up being a 26 mile (42 km) slog in the rain. This year, starting from my house shortened the distance a bit and the forecast was for the rain to hold off till evening. The first 3 miles (5 km) or so were urban hiking on pavement and concrete, followed by a stretch of dirt/gravel road and then to a mix of dirt and river rock when I entered the canyon (an old rail line converted to a trail). The next phase was a mix of basalt and dirt trails that climbed up over Rocky Top and Snow Mountain and I put on my light gators to keep debris such as the Cheat Grass out of my shoes. From the summit of Snow Mountain (about 12 mi/ 19 km from the start) I could see the parking lot at the base of Snow Mountain Ranch and I realized that I was quite tired and my feet hurt. 3 slow tortuous miles (5 km) later, by the time I reached the Snow Mountain Ranch parking lot and GPS showed I still had about 5 mi (8 km) to go, not to mention the possibility of having to climb an elk fence if I could not find the gate, I decided I was done and called my wife to come pick me up.

              The results of this were quite a surprise to me. Based on my use until now, the one thing I did not anticipate on this trip was any problem with my feet. But I think it was one of the things I like about these shoes, the thin soles, which were the problem. When I made this trip last year I had one large blister on one heel and a hot spot on the other that I had to address before I could finish. This trip I did not even experience as much as a hot spot, but the pounding of the urban section combined with the constant flexing from the uneven trail were just too much for my feet to take. On the positive side, the trip ended up being warmer than I expected, to the point where I got a bit sun burned, but the ventilation of the shoes allowed my feet to stay cool and dry. Which I am sure is part of the reason I got no blisters or hotspots.

              Overall I have mixed feelings about these shoes. I like that they are light and breathe well. I love how the thin soles give me a good feel for the terrain I am walking on, and the convertible heel allowing them to be used as slip on camp shoes is a cool feature. I also like the traction the soles provide. This makes the poor fit for my feet all the more disappointing, since if they fit better I know these would have become my go to shoes, and I would probably wear them out from constant use (hiking and daily wear) rather quickly. So I would certainly recommend these shoes to friends and family, with the caveat that they try them on and be sure they fit their feet before purchasing.
            • david wilkes

                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 5, 2013
                  David,

                  I am sorry that these didn't work out for you in the end, and that the end of summer snuck up and you were't able to use them as much as you would have liked.  Only one minor thing to correct and you can upload at will.

                  It was great working with you on this series!

                  <snip>
                  I decided I was done and called my wife to come pick me up.
                  Comment: Haven’t we all been there?

                  <snip>
                  This concludes my  report. I would like to thank the folks at Scarpa and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to test this product.
                  EDIT: Please change the name to "SCARPA" (all caps)

                  Brett Haydin

                  "Teamwork: It's amazing how much

                  can be accomplished when no one

                  cares who gets the credit."
                • david wilkes
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 8, 2013
                    Made the change, uploaded, and deleted the copy in the test folder.

                    Thanks for everything.

                    Dave

                    On Saturday, October 5, 2013 8:26 AM, Brett Haydin <bhaydin@...> wrote:
                    David,

                    I am sorry that these didn't work out for you in the end, and that the end of summer snuck up and you were't able to use them as much as you would have liked.  Only one minor thing to correct and you can upload at will.

                    It was great working with you on this series!

                    <snip>

                    I decided I was done and called my wife to come pick me up.

                    Comment: Haven’t we all been there?

                    <snip>
                    This concludes my  report. I would like to thank the folks at Scarpa and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to test this product.
                    EDIT: Please change the name to "SCARPA" (all caps)

                    Brett Haydin

                    "Teamwork: It's amazing how much

                    can be accomplished when no one

                    cares who gets the credit."