LTR Luci Solar Powerd LED Light-Frances Penn

  • fpenn@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 30, 2013
      http://tinyurl.com/mxktvnb

      LUCI SOLAR POWERED LED LIGHT
      TEST SERIES BY FRANCES PENN
      LTR
      August 01, 2013

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Frances Penn
      EMAIL: fpenn AT sbcglobal DOT net
      AGE: 56
      LOCATION: Santa Ana, California
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
      WEIGHT: 130 lb (59.00 kg)

      I have been backpacking for six years mostly on long weekends in Southern California with two or more 5-day trips per year in the Sierras. My total daypack weight, including food and water, is usually 15 lb (7 kg) and my total backpack weight, including food and water, is usually 26-30 lb (12-14 kg) depending on the need for a bear canister. I have recently converted to a tarp, bivy and quilt sleeping system instead of a tent. I have experienced all night rain, hail, heavy winds, camping in snow once, but mostly fair weather.

      LONG-TERM REPORT

      LONG-TERM TEST LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      Trip #1:
      Joshua Tree National Park, California USA
      Elevation: 5,000 ft (1,500 M)
      Trip Duration: 2 days, 1 night
      Trail Conditions: sandy desert partial use trail and partial off trail with some rocky portions
      Temperatures: 50 to 85 (10 - 29 C)
      Weather: partly cloudy with increasing wind the first day, total clouds the second day

      Trip #2:
      Location: Cedar Glen campground in the Baldy area, California USA
      Elevation: 6,000 ft (1800 M)
      Trip Duration: 3 days, 2 nights
      Trail Conditions: dirt trail with some steep rocky sections
      Temperatures: 50 to 85 (10 - 29 C)
      Weather: partly cloudy with light drizzles and fog the first night, sunny then cooler and windy the second day

      Trip #3:
      Location: Hetch Hetchy in Yosemite, California USA
      Elevation: 4,640 ft (1,400 M)
      Trip Duration: 7 days, 6 nights
      Trail Conditions: dirt forest trail with lots of rocky steps and boulders to step on or avoid
      Temperatures: 50 to 85 (10 - 29 C)
      Weather: mostly sunny with one evening of light drizzles

      Trip #4:
      Location: Little Jimmy Campground on the way to Baden-Powell, San Gabriel Mountains, California, USA
      Elevation: 7,000 ft (2,100 M)
      Trip Duration: 2 days, 1 night
      Trail Conditions: dirt forest trail with some rocky portions
      Temperatures: 50 to 85 F (10 - 29 C)
      Weather: mostly sunny

      Trip #5:
      Location: Cottonwood Lakes area, California, USA
      Elevation: 11,500 ft ( M)
      Trip Duration: 3 days, 2 nights
      Trail Conditions: dirt forest trail with steep rocky portions
      Temperatures: 40 to 60 F ( C)
      Weather: sunny days with one afternoon rain and hail storm

      Trip #6:
      Location: Big Basin Redwoods State Park, California, USA
      Elevation: 1,700 ft ( M)
      Trip Duration: 3 days, 2
      Trail Conditions: dirt forest trail with a few short steep rocky portions
      Temperatures: 50 to 80 F (10-26 C)
      Weather: foggy mornings turning into sunny days

      Trip #7:
      Location: Glen Aulin High Sierra Camp backpackers campground Yosemite, California, USA
      Elevation: 8,000 ft ( M)
      Trip Duration: 7 days, 6 nights
      Trail Conditions: dirt forest trail with some steep rocky portions
      Temperatures: 40 to 80 F (4-26 C)
      Weather: sunny with some cloudy afternoons and two afternoon rainstorms

      While the light was tied to the outside of my pack, my friends hiking behind me on the Joshua Tree trip were commenting that I was being powered by solar power which would explain why I was hiking in front of them so fast. The comments made everyone curious about the lantern that night at happy hour. I turned on the lantern and placed it on the trash bag "tablecloth" during our happy hour dinner. It created a nice ambiance much like a candle, which I like while out on the trail.

      On the first evening of the Cedar Glen trip, I tied the lantern to a tree branch and turned the light on the bright setting. We then walked to another area of camp for a nightcap on the other side of some bushes where we were not able to see the light. Upon returning to our tents after dark, the lantern acted as a beacon to lead us back to our camp and helped to light our way as we walked among the large rocks in the area.

      After a full day of backpacking and day hiking on the second day of the Cedar Glen trip, most of my friends were so tired after dinner that they went to bed well before dark. After some begging and pleading, I was finally able to talk a few of my friends into staying up past sunset to test the brightness of the lantern and assist with the pictures in camp. Once the pictures were taken, everyone then retired to bed quickly. We turned on the light and tied it to a tree branch all night to act as a night light for bathroom calls. I turned the light on the lowest setting at 8:00 p.m. and I turned it off at 6:00 a.m. the next morning. Since the sun had just come up, I wasn't able to determine the brightness of the lantern, but the LEDs were still showing light.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "close-up in tree at Cedar Glen">>

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2" IMAGE CAPTION = "overview of camp and light in tree">>

      On the Hetch Hetchy trip, the picture of the lantern by the camp fire was taken at approximately 10 feet (3 M) away. Everyone agreed the lantern is a great design for a backpacking lantern. We took turns using the lantern to go back to our tents to retrieve our headlamps that were forgotten in the evening light prior to dinner. I found the lantern light to be more diffused when sitting the lantern upside down with the LEDs on the underside of the top side.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3" IMAGE CAPTION = "by the campfire at Hetch Hetchy">>

      On the Cottonwood Lakes trip, I tied the lantern to a tree near our tents. I left it there all day and it endured an afternoon rain and hail storm. Once the rain and hail stopped, I turned on the light to see if the water may have damaged it. The LEDs lighted in all three settings.

      On the Big Basin trip, I tied the lantern to a tree when we went to bed so it would act as a nightlight for bathroom calls. The lantern provided just enough light so that I didn't need my headlamp for nighttime bathroom calls. Just one more advantage of this lantern.

      On the Glen Aulin trip, the lantern acted as our "campfire" to give us something to gather around as the evening approached. I placed the lantern on the ground upside down so the LEDs were facing down. This provided a softer light rather than looking directly at the LEDs.

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      The light is fun to use and very easy to operate. Most of my friends want to purchase their own lantern. This is the perfect camp nightlight for backpacking. No batteries make for a lightweight lantern that is versatile in camp. I really like being able to tie it to the outside of my pack while hiking to the next location while it charges in the sunlight. This feature makes the lantern preferable to other lanterns with batteries that add more weight to my backpack.

      Having used other lanterns, I find this lantern to be very versatile for only 4.5 oz. One of the best things about the lantern is that I didn't have to worry about buying and carrying extra traditional heavy batteries or wondering when they would run out. The ease of charging the lantern during the day makes this my preferred camp lantern for backpacking trips. I am so glad the manufacturer thought to have it tested in a backpacking setting.

      SUMMARY

      I have found my new favorite lantern for future backpacking trips. I feel lucky to have been chosen to test this awesome lantern that is also fun to use. A lot of conversations were started by someone hiking behind me who wondered what was tied to the outside of my pack. I will continue to use this lantern until it wears out which I hope will be many more years.

      This test series is now concluded. Thank you to MPowerd and Backpackgeartest.org for this testing opportunity.

      Copyright 2013. All rights reserved.