LTR Mountainsmith Carbonlite Pro Trekking Poles 2013 - Frances Penn

  • fpenn@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 30, 2013
      http://tinyurl.com/lkh8jsn

      MOUNTAINSMITH CARBONITE PRO TREKKING POLES 2013
      TEST SERIES BY FRANCES PENN
      LTR
      July 30, 2013

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Frances Penn
      EMAIL: fpenn AT sbcglobal DOT net
      AGE: 56
      LOCATION: Santa Ana, California
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
      WEIGHT: 130 lb (59.00 kg)

      I have been backpacking for six years mostly on long weekends in Southern California with two or more 5-day trips per year in the Sierras. My total daypack weight, including food and water, is usually 15 lb (7 kg) and my total backpack weight, including food and water, is usually 26-30 lb (12-14 kg) depending on the need for a bear canister. I have recently converted to a tarp, bivy and quilt sleeping system instead of a tent. I have experienced all night rain, hail, heavy winds, camping in snow once, but mostly fair weather.

      LONG-TERM REPORT

      LONG-TERM TEST LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      Trip #5:
      Location: Little Jimmy Campground on the way to Baden-Powell, San Gabriel Mountains, California, USA
      Elevation: 7,000 ft (2,100 M)
      Trip Duration: 2 days, 1 night
      Trail Conditions: dirt forest trail with some rocky portions
      Temperatures: 50 to 85 F (10-29 C)
      Weather: mostly sunny

      Trip #6:
      Location: Cottonwood Lakes area by Mt. Langley, California USA
      Elevation: 11,100 ft (3,400 M)
      Trip Duration: 3 days, 2 nights
      Trail Conditions: dirt forest trail with some rocky portions
      Temperatures: 40 to 60 F (4-33 C)
      Weather: mostly sunny with one afternoon rain storm that produced pea sized hail for 5 hours, cool nights

      Trip #7:
      Location: Big Basin Redwoods State Park/Skyline to Sea Trail, California USA
      Elevation: 1,700 ft (518 M)
      Trip Duration: 3 days, 2 nights
      Trail Conditions: dirt forest trail with some steep rocky portions
      Temperatures: 50 to 70 F (10-21 C)
      Weather: mostly sunny with cool nights

      Trip #8:
      Location: Glen Aulin High Sierra Camp, Yosemite National Park, California, USA
      Elevation: 8,000 ft ( 2,400 M)
      Trip Duration: 7 days, 6 nights
      Trail Conditions: dirt forest trail with some steep rocky portions
      Temperatures: 50 to 80 F (10-26 C)
      Weather: mostly sunny with two afternoon rain storms, cool nights

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      Since losing one of the baskets on an earlier Joshua Tree trip, I installed the tips and they remain on the poles. The poles continue to provide good grip and stability on the trail. The shock absorbing feature continues to support my weight during descents on steep rocky trails. This feature has continued to keep me stable during off-trail descents. The grips continue to be comfortable in my hands and provide the ability to switch my grip to the top during steep descents on trail and off. The pole locks continue to work easily and stay secure during use. Since I starting using a tarp, I use one pole upside down to support the front of my tarp as pictured below.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "additional use as a tarp pole">>

      SUMMARY

      These poles are comfortable to use and provide good grip and stability on the trail. They allow me to change to different grip positions and back again easily. Other than the usual scratches from wear, the poles have withstood my use with no damage to the handles or shafts. The twist lock and height adjustment mechanisms operate easily just like when they were new. I have enjoyed testing these poles. While they are a little heavier than other poles I have used, they have a lot of features for this price point. These poles have become my new poles of choice for future trips.

      This test series is now concluded. Thanks to Mountainsmith and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to test these comfortable and versatile lightweight trekking poles.

      Copyright 2013. All rights reserved.
    • Coy Boy
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 31, 2013
        Hi Frances, me again... I have no edits on this one, looks like you got all the metric conversions. I do have a suggestion though and should have made it for the pack report as well. Could you include approximate mileage you hiked or at least some idea of how long you used the poles during a particular hike. For example on the 7 day trip you might say, I used the poles for 3 hours the first day and then pretty much all day during the remaining days of the trip. Or if you spent a lot of time doing maintenance you could mention you used them about half the time but had to set them aside while doing the actual work.

        Coy Boy