Re: LTR- GSI Outdoors Pack Kitchen 8 - Gail

  • woodswoman
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 29, 2013
      Richard,
      Thanks for the quick edits...the conversion snow-to-rain varies widely depending on the temperature (resulting in the type of snow, etc). I have seen it estimated as little as 5:1 and as large as 15:1 (with average being 10:1). With that said I normally quote the NWS for the precipitation amount (even though the station is 20-30 mi away from the actual camp area) and then go with the actual snow measurement at camp. Would it be better to convert the actual snow measurement based on what type of snow I am experiencing and forget about the NWS? This will really help me in the future on my reports.

      As far as the toothbrush idea..the opening of the bottles is very small, that is why I purchased a tiny set of bottle brushes (which were in the baby isle of the store).

      Thanks for your help and I look forward to your comments on the conversion issue.

      ### Precipitation: 0.58 in (1.47 cm) which is more than 11 in (28 cm) of new snow###
      Edit/Comment – I thought it was 10-12 inches of snow to one inch of rain.

      ###I purchased a set of very small bottle brushes so that I could attempt to clean the inside of them. ###
      Comment: Try a toothbrush.